Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network Printing Issue (RE: Default paper size settings..)

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2002, 06:36 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I run a lan with 3000 users and a couple of servers, some of which are DC's all the PC's and servers are running Win2k - ADS etc is all running. The servers are on 1GB lan connections to the switches and the workstations are all on 100MB Cat5. When the user logs in a login script is run (VB Script) and this script works out where the user is logging in from and what printers they should get and connects to the required printers using the standard unc printer connection. All the Printers on the print server/s are HP Laserjets via Jetdirect and all use the default windows drivers. There are 12 printers on the print server that are shared out, half of which are load balancing queues (queues that can print to more than 1 printer).

Now recently (after 6months of being online) there have been some strange printing issues..

firstly after a month or so of running the print server/s, they have stopped letting remote computers view the print queues and return an "Access Denied" message - although they can print fine, and if i log into the server, the user on the server can view and manage the queues fine..?
(I moved the queues onto another DC and after a month the same problem has reoccured).

secondly (more annoying), all the printers are set to A4 paper (this is set in Printing Defaults, Preferences and Device Settings). Every now and again (every couple of users) when they login and the printer is connected, they get the wrong paper setting.. (B5, Monarch or A3 ..????).

Does anyone know why this is happening (this seems worse when there are a lot of users printing)...

We've tried new print drivers, moving to another DC, moving computer objects in ADS, changing printer settings etc... but these problems still exist (as above only really noticable on heavy printing)..

I'm wondering if there are too many users connecting/connected to the Print Servers and some of them arent getting the default printer settings (i.e. timing out)..

Maybe I should hard force the printers and their settings via a VBS login script that just fills in the required registry settings when they log in, rather than utilising vbs printer connection stuff??

TIA

Snowcrash.
Old 18 December 2002, 10:43 AM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no ideas??
Old 18 December 2002, 10:50 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vbs connections should work fine... manually bodging the registry isnt that easy...

no problems with max registry size... permissions on the spool folder.. slow network connections, corrupt files etc..

it sounds like one of those odd ones that you need to see to be able to sort it..

David
Old 18 December 2002, 10:51 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edited to add that hp dont support jetdirect anymore so try sdi or whatever its called now..

David