Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Console

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 10:31 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK...I've read all the recent threads about who's got what, and favourite games, but I'm looking at bying a Xmas present for "a friend" (ie ME, but darent admit it to anyone!!)

Where is my 200+ notes best invested:
X-Box (for the graphics)
PS2 for the no of games?

I'll probably go for a rally game, a track game, and a couple of shoot-em-ups.....any recommendations?

Many thanks
SB
Old 11 December 2002, 11:24 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

aren't game doing an XBox and 4 games for 200 notes?
Old 12 December 2002, 02:13 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Official deal of X-Box, Halo, Splinter Cell, Sega GT2002, and Jet Set Radio Future for £200 is too good to pass on I'm afraid, and the list of upcoming titles on x-box is v. nice.

Buy it for splinter cell and halo.
Old 12 December 2002, 10:34 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

and if you have broadband, Xbox LIVE.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:39 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I would say...

Xbox is more suited to the "older" gamer, there are alot of Halo/Commandos/Splinter Cell-type games on. But some of the earlier games seem to be direct ports of PS2 stuff that dont use the full Xbox capabilities.

PS2 is more suited to the younger gamer, and theres loads more games for it. But dont forget GTA Vice City

Gamecube - seems to be very good, not as many games as other 2 at the moment. Ask DrEvil or Andy Tang for their opinion on this.

Dave
Old 12 December 2002, 03:38 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

uh oh - the console flame war. In my opinion - yes the Xbox has much better graphics, but in terms of playability I reckon PS2 games win hands down (and I hate the Xbox controller).
Games wise (whichever console) get Timesplitters2 and CMR3. If you go for the PS2 get GT3, GTA3 and MGS... Let the bitching begin.
Old 12 December 2002, 10:13 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers peeps

could well be the X-box then...but there is a difference of opinion....anyone else?
Old 12 December 2002, 11:00 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Xbox definately!

If you're concerned about the uncomfortable controller (I think its fine IMHO) Microsoft are bringing out a smaller controller early next year.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:01 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

xbox - some excellent deals about.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:13 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scumbag -

All just MHO, please don't flame me guys!

I've got a PS2 and to be honest, if I was in the market for a console right now, I'm not sure I'd go for one. Don't get me wrong, it's got some great games available for it, a huge catalogue to pick from (including some PS only titles - Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo), cheap games available via the Platinum range and it's pretty much a no-lose option. Having said that, the graphics seem a little 2nd rate compared to the other consoles.

I have a real problem with contributing to Microsofts' world domination plans, so as good as the X-Box is or isn't, I wouldn't buy one. I can't help but wonder if the recent sales surge is purely down to X-Box live being released recently and wonder if it will continue. Also, chipping X-Boxes for one reason or another seems to be rife and given the business model for consoles, I wonder how much of a hit that might have on its' future. Sure it's a good console & has some good games available.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably take a chance on the Gamecube. I have many fond memories of gaming on Nintendo platforms and in general, they really try to push the envelope with everything they do. For £200 you could get a Cube and a couple of great games. I get the impression that the Cube is going to be better supported by 3rd party developers than the N64 ever was (shame, I liked the N64, still got mine).

Probably the best bet is see if you can play on other peoples' systems and make your own choice.

Den
Old 12 December 2002, 11:48 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Get an X-Box, everyone else has! Despite the fact that PS2 sales are far greater!

Personally I have a PS2 and a Gamecube, but if you do a search you'll finds loads of comments on all three of these consoles!

Would I get an X-Box? No!
Old 13 December 2002, 12:20 AM
rich uk300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PS2 for me......The getaway and vice city(gta3) are awesome games,the ps2 has a huge selection of quality games out there which have gone platinum
Old 13 December 2002, 12:31 AM
kimera
Scooby Regular

PS2 all the way, u got a PC, why u want one in a smaller box. The XBOX is a dreamcast (which had better graphics than PS2) in disguise, but because it says Micro****e on the side it will succeed, go on guys put a few more quid in his pocket he deserves it

[Edited by kimera - 12/13/2002 12:34:39 AM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:21 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Question

So have you decided which one you're going for Scumbag?

Den
Old 15 December 2002, 02:55 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Time to add my tuppence, I've had a PS2 for well over a year now and have only got 3 games of which the only one I still play is GT3, which lets face it is still the best driving game available on ALL platforms.

In September, I bought an XBox after being very anti microsoft and all I can say is put your prejudices to one side and get one. I aready have more games for the XBox which include Halo, PGR, Splinter Cell, GT2002. I now find it very difficult to return to the PS2 to play GT3 because the controller feels too small and flimsy, the graphics aren't even as good GT2002 let alone PGR, and finally its not in full Dolby Digital surround sound (true surround sound makes such a difference)

I could care less for the extensive back catalouge of mediocre titles on the PS2, I would much rather have five or six quality titles to play than to have twenty or so 'ok' games that just don't last the distance. I agree that in a rush to release a new game on all platforms some companys are not pushing the envelope with the XBox, for instance CMR3, but I still bought it and enjoy it.

I also have a PC that can handle games, but that rarely gets played on, even for fps games because the XBox can handle these just as well and the controller is genuinely easy to get to grips with. As for the multiplayer side of things, I've been playing Halo online for free from the first day I bought it, and now with the test drive program for XBox Live this will now grow with a lot of the newer games supporting it.

Well thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

WizzBang

[Edited by Wizzbang - 12/15/2002 2:57:47 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 10:03 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys.....

I think I'll go for the X-box, I'm only planning on having a few games (too bloody addictive), and sounds like the X-box has the better graphics + feel

I'll let you know how I get on

SB
Old 16 December 2002, 10:43 AM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Got an X-Box myself and love it.

Some people don't like the supplied controller as it's quite large. In response Microsoft have released the Japanese controller over here (finally).

It's called Controller S, and I think it's the best controller I've used. Feels more sturdy than a PS2 controller, and is a lot more comfortable for extended play than the original.

Well worth buying one
Old 16 December 2002, 10:49 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Yep, got the Controller-S too. Haven't used the old ones since, mates can use those instead