Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

P!SSED off with internet connection

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 04:27 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had enough of my S...........L.........O...........W internet connection
Where I live I dont have cable, the BT exchange hasnt(and wont for ages) been upgraded, and I'm a quite far out from the exchange which I'm told slows things down a bit?

Is there anything I can do or use to speed up my connection????

Using a V90 modem and connects between 44000 and 45333 but its very slow ( using Lineone AKA Tiscali as my ISP )
Sometimes when I do connect it sits ands waits for ages before loading pages or downloading emails.
Sometimes I also get a Windows message saying the server has not responded for 30 seconds and do I want to wait...

I'm off work recovering from an accident so im surfing more than ever and the slow connection is driving me mad...

Is there anything I can do?

Just one more thing, I have a phone in my home office that chirps every time any phone in the house is picked up or put down, chirps when my pc connects to the phoneline too, but sometimes when I'm online I hear little chirps, then again, then after few chirps I lose my connection.... The phone is not at fault and there's not one else trying to use the phone in the house so could I have a problem with the BT line????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bob
(sorry for the long post... wanted to give as much info as i could)
Old 27 November 2002, 04:47 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

If money isn't a worry you could go for twin channel ISDN. That would get you 128kb.

I would guess you would be looking at £30 a month or more though.
Old 27 November 2002, 04:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
44-45.3k connect speed is normal for a v90 if a tad slow. I usually connect @49.3k or above, but when it rains its mostly 45.3 If you never get a 49.3k or above connect speed, ask BT to increase the gain on your line by one click (increases the line volume) My phones also chirp on dialup n disconnect, its normal. So I guess your problems are down to your choice of ISP. I use Freeserve Anytime and have no problems with it at all. Fast (relatively) 4.8-5K downloads no disconnects, and email/news/web etc are fine. If u can stomach the 2hr cutoff stipulation I reckon u should give them a go, £12.99/month.

Oh yeh depending on your modem, goto device manager/ports n do properties on the comport that your modem is connected to. In port settings increase the Bits per second to 115200, that sometimes helps the thruput. If u have an internal modem then that would explain the crap speed somewhat

[Edited by bioforger - 11/27/2002 5:01:38 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 07:07 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

thanks fot the replies guys

this is gonna sound dumb, but whats a twin channel ISDN????
is it like a 2nd phone line to the house or something?

I dont mind paying if I'm gonna get a faster connection...

as for my connection at present, I've NEVER connected at more than 45333 and the phone chirps when it shouldnt do as if there was something on the BT line causing it.... so if I complain to BT will they turn up my gain? or is there a way in which I should word it to BT so that they do this and dont just try to fob me off with bullsh!t !!!!

Thanks

Bob
Old 27 November 2002, 07:15 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bob,

Same position as you. Went for BT ISDN which is the twin phone line setup. Half price install just now @ £74 and monthly line rental of about £24. Well impressed, I'm on V21 and get 64k for £9.99 a month anytime unmetered. They don't offer 128k but I do dial into my work @ 128k. When using the 64k connection it still leaves the phone line available.

Kevin.
Old 27 November 2002, 08:08 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I'll give BT a ring tomorrow and see what they can offer me

Cheers,

Bob