Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox vs Ps2 vs Gamecube

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 11:30 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JackClark Motogp 2 is in the making although we're not allowed to say a lot about it at the moment. What I can say is that it's got all of the 2002 season bikes and tracks. Apart from that I have to wait in till the publisher releases any more details.
Swiss scooby Donky Kong Country is another very good example it's one of those things that no one takes into account but when you think about it it makes sense. The better you know your tool the better you're going to use them.

[Edited by Pete_UK99 - 12/4/2002 11:32:30 AM]
Old 26 November 2002, 11:27 AM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Considering buying one of the above for xmas, which is the better ?

Old 26 November 2002, 11:44 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Gamecube has much better graphics than a PS2 however small number of games at the moment. (Loads to come out in NY)

PS2 is excellent & has a very large number of games. You could even get it chipped

Dont touch an XBOX though!!!
Old 26 November 2002, 11:45 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

Depends what you want to do with it really.

If you want a DVD/Divx/VCD/MP3/games player with out-of-the-box online capabilites and almost limitless scope for homebrew software use then the X-Box is the only way to go.

If you just want to play games and/or watch films then PS2 or Gamecube. There are some great games for the PS2 and GCN such the Resident Evil and GTA series.
Old 26 November 2002, 11:52 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Remember, PS2 and XBox are both DVD players too, GameCube ain't.

And the XBox has the superior graphic capabilities, it's just a shame it's not taken off anywhere.
It's also got a good crimbo games bundle from this week for £199.
Old 26 November 2002, 11:55 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Rayman,

People seem to be very protective/defensive about the console(s) they own. If you do a search, you'll see loads of discussions about them!!

I know that BL, DrEvil and myself have a GameCube *and* a PS2.

The PS2 has a huge back catalogue, but I've had it a while.
Bought the GC on the strength of a couple of games, knowing more are in the pipeline.

I personally didn't buy an X-Box, as I have a good games PC for things like Unreal, Quake, etc and I didn't want a games console for FPS games!

The driving games can be done by the PS2 (maybe not graphically as well, but the game play on the PS2 is good enough for me!)

PS2 IMHO has the definative fighting games (Tekken Tag & Tekken 4)

Nintendo have always made very playable games, so multiplayer and platform games get the thumbs up from me on the GameCube!

Just my opinion, but I'll probably get flammed for it!
Old 26 November 2002, 12:27 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy, I hope you don't get flammed for your opinion here. The real flame-war happens over there ... namely at 'www.gamefaqs.com'.
My suggestion is :

- Search for the games that are already out and/or coming out in the future and choose your console by this fact. In other words...GET AN XBOX NOW!!! he,he,he
Old 26 November 2002, 03:05 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for the replys, so the xbox is a better console for graphics but not that huge with games at the mo, and the gamecube is the master of the platform games ?

Have i got it right ? has anyone played the same game on the different consoles and how does this vary ?

Old 28 November 2002, 09:16 AM
met
Scooby Regular

just sold my cube to make way for a station 2, the cube is an excellent console for more cartoony games with the exception of rogue leader which is a quality game, (not worth owning the cube for just 1 game though) the station has sooooo many good games & is a quality dvd player too & worth it for gta vice city & mcrae's rally alone, (my opinion though) there just isnt enough quality games for the cube at the moment, & not sure i believe that there ever will
Old 28 November 2002, 02:40 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

GameCube is great for stuff like Zelda and Mario if you're into that. No DVD movie playback (unless you import a fancy one from Japan). I bought mine just to play Mario and Zelda on.

Playstation2 is your safest bet as its been out the longest and has a HUGE library of games. Its plays DVD movies too. I bought one the day it came out.

XBOX *potentially* offers the best quality, but doesn't have a vast catalogue of games for it. It still doesn't possess an XBOX only game that I would buy one for.

Again, choose your game, then buy the platform to play it on!
Old 28 November 2002, 03:48 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As was said by Andy T, i've got PS2 and GC.

I've had the PS2 for a while now, but only got the GC a few months back.

I bought the GC cos I like things like MarioKart, Super Mario, Zelda... but have also found that some of the current and future titles are more aimed at adults too, such as TimeSplitters 2, Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero, Metroid Prime etc.. So there seems to be a good balance forming on GC for the future.

I still think the PS2 has the best controllers and a lot of good titles. GC and Xbox have a long way to go before they have the games base and customer base that PS2 has.

IMHO of course, Alex
Old 29 November 2002, 08:33 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well i've had all three and consider myself a bit of a veteran gamer my opinions are as follows (though probably mean fek all hehe) :-

ps2 - long in the tooth, VERY good back catalogue and the most popular (high quantity of games, doesnt necessarily mean there all quality by any stetch though, there are probably only the same number of games i would play on the ps2 than there are on the xbox).

gamecube - cute, nice, small, not enough software though needs a kickstart.

xbox - not a lot of games, some very good ones, VERY good graphicly BUT pc hardware will soon overtake it and will therefore make it redundant. Not really just an fps console as said by mr tang , try rallisport or project gotham for some VERY good driving action.

To sum up my advice at the moment would be not to buy any of them......
Not new anyway, i would get the cheapest you could get with the most games second hand as all three are looking a little weak imo.
PS2 needs an update to keep up with its competition,
xbox technology will be overtaken by the next range of pc graphics cards making it redundant for me as i'll play on the pc -BUT it does cross into console territory well as at least you can have an 'arcadey' style quick game of something, whereas pc feels more 'hardcore'.
GAmecube needds some momentum from consecutively good releases.
Old 29 November 2002, 09:50 AM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replys again, it seems like the ps2 is comming out on tops for me. Good point on the Xbox PTHOLT makes sense about the hardware.

Any console packages I should be looking out for this xmas ?

Old 29 November 2002, 10:38 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Xbox + SegaGT + Halo + Jet Set Radio Future + Splinter Cell = £199

Old 29 November 2002, 12:00 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

So in conclusion:

PS2 - Huge variety of games, but becoming dated, although all the new stuff still plays ok. DVD player as well, and lots of hardware bits to at on (cheap as well). Limited support of online gaming, with both narrowband (phoneline) and braodband support.

GC - More cartoony games (at the moment). Lots promised for the new year, although currently only a handful of games worth buying. No DVD support, although 4 player support out of the box (unlike PS2, which needs a multitap)

X-Box - Realistic games (very PC-like). Handful of software worth buying at the moment. Soon to look dated at the rate of PC component development. 4 player and a Multimedia player out of the box. Online broadband gaming soon!

I guess the questions you need to answer are:

1) Do you need a DVD player?
2) Do you want 4 player games out of the box?
3) Do you have a 'hardcore' games PC?
4) Do you prefer PC/realistic or cartoony/animated type games? (Although this will change!!)
5) Do you want lots of games right now!!!???
6) Do you want to play games online? (Do you have or plan to have broadband?)
7) Is it just you playing it, or kids as well?

I hope this is a sort of unbias look at the three consoles!

Old 29 November 2002, 12:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have a PS2, because:

It was the only one out UK at the time. Although I bought mine with 12 games (Cheers PTHolt! ) Nice range of games and it was the progressive next step after owning a Playstation. So backward compatibility was a bonus as well (Fantastic for games like Bomberman and Bust-A-Move!) It could play the fun multiplayer games, do the serious stuff and I could still have my driving and fighting games.

Highlights: Tekken 4, WRC2, GTA:Vice City, GT3

The DVD player was a bonus, but I already have an all sing all dancing one!

I have a Gamecube because:

My girlfriend played a couple of games and she enjoyed it much more than PS2. The cartoony, fun type games grabbed her straight away. The quality of games are good, but there just aren't enough of them. Personally I would have waited until after Christmas before getting one, but I don't regret it one bit!

Highlights: Super Monkey Ball, Lugis Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine

I've used a friends X-Box,

Reasonable variety of games and the DVD player is bonus (much better than my PS2 with lip sync issues, although they are sorted on later versions of the PS2)

Halo looks cool and plays well, but still prefer FPS on the PC (doesn't feel right on a console) The latest batch of driving games are fine, but IMHO they are better, but they aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2.

Highlights: Halo, Splinter Cell, FIFA Football 2003 (although not a great leap from PS2 IMHO)

My personal conclusion:

If I didn't already have a PS2, I probably would not have bought a Gamecube!!

If right now, I had none of these consoles and did not have a DVD player, I would probably still buy a PS2 due to the back catalogue!!

If into the new year (with releases of more software) and I had none of these consoles and did not have a DVD player, I would probably go for an X-Box!!

(But being a tech/geek snob, who the hell doesn't have one of these consoles or a DVD player!!! )

Obviously if I were buying for me and Caroline, we would have a Gamecube and I shouldn't need to justify it!!!

As a side note, my brother who is a big games player and dare I say it more of a geek than me, has just sold his PS2 and bought a....... Gamecube!! Obviously goes without saying he already has a DVD player and only wanted to play quality games (that was his reason for the GC over the XBox!!!!)
Old 29 November 2002, 01:18 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers again for the input, some real useful here. I presently have the playstation 1, N64 and a DREAMCAST!!!! bugger...

I have not really touched any of them for a year after looking at the newer consoles they seemed a abit outdated. Andy thanks for the input, I have been away from the console game playing scene for some time and info has helped.

I will have to get myself down to toyrus and kick of all the kids and have ago on them !!!!

Old 29 November 2002, 04:07 PM
cliff_vtr
Scooby Regular

well i disagree with PC technology making Xbox redundant as Xbox is a console and in a different market to the PC. At present the Xbox is the most technically advanced so providing the games are there it will last the longest.

Remember Xbox is by Microsoft and they will suceed as its Microsoft.

I have played PS2 and Xbox and both are good though Xbox seems abit more flexible and better graphics. I have played Halo on the Xbox and its stunning, absolute top game.

Cliff
Old 29 November 2002, 05:42 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

you are correct in that its a different market cliff, however the port from one to the other is VERY easy and it would make more commercial sense to release games on two platforms rather than one thus increasing your exposure.

The exception to this rule are games that Microsoft give chunks of cash to release on xbox only for a set time (like Halo for example) but they will arrive on pc eventually (once Halo 2 is released on xbox in this case). But my point is MS is deliberately paying to make them sign exclusive contracts for set periods, but not all companies are subject to such contracts.

But for games companies who do not have such contracts with Microsoft they can release on both platforms at the same time, only difference being the pc versions will potentially use better graphics and sound with newer versions of direct x and graphics and sound card with better capabilities.

[Edited by ptholt - 11/29/2002 5:42:46 PM]

[Edited by ptholt - 11/29/2002 5:44:37 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 01:35 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

THe xbox hardware won't change so developers know exactly what they're programming for. Meaning they'll be pushing the hardware as best as they can and each new game will find better ways of doing stuff so you'll get better looking games each year. If you look back at the PS1 and compare something like GT2 to Namcos Ridge racer there was a huge leap in graphics and this was on the same machine. Not sure if you've seen screenshots of Halo 2 but it makes Halo look very dated. The thing with PC's is when developing for them you have to make sure you cater for all cards not just the best, meaning you never get the best out your G force 4 in till about a year and half down the line if not more. So to say that the latest PC's will pi*s over the Xbox is rubbish the Xbox will look as good as PC's for at least another 2 years. Why oh why are people still comparing the Xbox to a PC it's not the same and believe me it's not as easy as you think to port from the PC to Xbox or vice versa, just ask one of our programmers.
Old 02 December 2002, 02:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Xbox gets my vote at the moment due to Xbox live. I love the fact that I can play multiplayer games on a level playing field. Yes, other consoles have the ability to go online, but I don't believe they could match the Xbox Live infrastructure. Just can't stop racing on MotoGP! Hearing people shout as they fall off never fails to amuse.

I'm buying a Gamecube for my sisters children this Xmas, just because it seems to have more games aimed at children.
Old 02 December 2002, 04:03 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I think it was a wise idea to only have broadband on Xbox live. I know a lot of people in Britain will complain because they can't get Broadband but who wants to play games that have so much lag anyway.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Motogp.
Old 03 December 2002, 04:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I still see lag sometimes, it's pretty amusing! Most of the time caused by someone using the connecton on a PC at the same time.

Currently ranked 1500 and a bit in the world. The game's a complete winner.

Version 2 coming out?
Old 03 December 2002, 10:15 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Pete, in your first post you mentioned a very good point regarding developers pushing the consoles graffics to its limits. I remember not trusting my eyes when I first saw 'Donkey Kong Country' compared to 'Super Mario' on the Super Nintendo!! This was + will always be the same in Video Games. Thats why I personally like VG better than PC's!! I don't have to worry about getting new graffic cards every year.