Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cloning my hard drive with XP installed?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2002, 11:09 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have installed Windows XP Pro onto a hard drive in my pc and got it setup how I would like it but have just found out that when I try to clone it to my bigger & faster hard disk, using “ghost” software, it starts to boot into Win XP but then stops on the welcome screen.

Does any one know of a way round this? as I don’t fancy loading it all again on my faster disk!

I guess this is a little trick that is built into Win XP to stop you ripping it off.
Old 21 November 2002, 08:12 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Question

what version of ghost are you using??
Old 21 November 2002, 10:55 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Ghost 2002 and 2003 work fine with XP. I've just done a CD build with ghost & sysprep etc. and it works fine.
If it was copy protection I would expect the OS to load, but it would go back to the 30-days to activate bit.
Old 21 November 2002, 11:11 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the reason y it wont boot is cause youve cloned an exact image of your primary OS to another HDD right? or did u clone it to an image file? If not XP thinks 2 copies of XP are installed and therefore doesnt know which one to boot from. I use drivecopy and with this you have to hide the other HDD or partition for this reason otherwise the primary OS wont boot. I dont know how u get around it. Maybe boot into safemode from your primary hdd, and change the startup option/default operating system in advanced to only look at the primary hdd. A quick fix would be to delete/format the backup of your primary hdd at a guess.

[Edited by bioforger - 11/21/2002 11:12:36 AM]
Old 21 November 2002, 04:09 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I am using Ghost 2002.

Basically I had one hard drive on my pc, loaded it with XP and set everything up to how I would like it. Then connected my faster hard drive to it, booted to ghost and done a disk to disk copy in ghost.

Once that finished, turned pc off, removed first disk (the slower one) set my faster drive to master (only disk now connected) & then let it boot to XP.

It does start to load but gets to the point just before it flicks to the desktop and just stops on the blue welcome screen. Nothing about needing to re-activate etc. If I try to go into safe mode i get to see the desktop for a few seconds then flicks back to the blue welcome screen again!

Any one any other ideas?
Old 21 November 2002, 04:29 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I'd try it again. It could be that there was some problem during the clone process with one of the files that got written. In theory, there is no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 21 November 2002, 04:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mmmm ic now, it should work no problems. Try a setup/repair on it. Long shot, but your faster hdd is maybe trying to utilise a different hdd controller eg ATA100, or trying to if you see what I mean? That would mean your current setup may not have the right disk controllers for that particular hdd. But a repair should fix it anyway. I cant think of another reason y it shouldnt boot. I assume u put the old hdd back in to make sure its still working?