Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tables changing format in Word HTML?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2002, 04:14 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a document in MSWord doc format, sent to me by someone else and probably taken from a non-MS program and converted. I have to convert it to HTML [in order to open it in DreamWeaver and rip out the Word coding, before we get into a "why WordHTML?" argument). It's mainly text, but a few tables of data in there, three columns, ?20 rows. The cells look like this:

HeaderX HeaderY HeaderZ
X1 Y1 Z1
X2 Y2 Z2
X3 Y3 Z3 etc.

If I Save As HTML, all seems to go well, they convert without problem. But then I close the file and open it again - even in Word, let alone in DreamWeaver - and the cells have all re-arranged, thus:

HeaderX HeaderY HeaderZ
X1 [empty] [empty]
Y1 Z1 [empty]
X2 [empty] [empty]
Y2 Z2 [empty]
X3 [empty] [empty] etc.

I'm completely baffled, even more so as the headers don't rearrange.

Originally the tables had one merged row at the bottom, which I thought might have confused the conversion, but I converted this into text - no difference. The text inside is in "Tabela" style, I changed it to "Normal" - no difference. I have set (I believe, but am not confident on this) column width to auto rather than fixed - no difference. (MSHelp says this is done automatically anyway in the conversion between .doc and .html.)

The remaining thing that puzzles me is that all rows except one BELOW the header (so one that does change, unfortunately!) have a strange sign behind them. If I show paragraph marks etc (the reverse P button), table cells are usually followed by a circle inside a dotted square. Yet all these rows (except as above) are followed by the left-hand half of that sign, like a letter c with dots above and below. The sign is outside the table, marking the row end: all cells inside are terminated with the normal sign.

Help pleeeease?! It's driving me mad!!

Brendan
Old 20 November 2002, 04:56 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brendan,

sounds like you need to open the file in something like Notepad so you can see it in it's raw state, sounds like something to do with <TD> tag mismatches or col spans being set but without seeing the raw HTML dont think you will find the problem.

cheers

Gary