Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

This computer is driving me daft!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2002, 05:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

It crashed, bigtime, Wednesday. Supplier's helpline was v. helpful, but it wouldn't restart, as it said that a RETTEN.EXE file was missing. Eventually it tried to restart, but crashed again. Repairman comes out, can't get it going, so does fdisk on it! Leaves it reformatting. Half way through, it crashes again!!
Contacted helpline again, they say it's a software prob, take it back. I give it one more try, and it sets up OK. I've done a diskcheck, and found no faults.
When I went back onto the net, it told me that the computer had had a major problem with an imaging peripheral(?), and sent an error report to microsoft.
Everything then ran perfectly, except that my GBP sign has disappeared, and " and @ are in opposite places!!!
Then, 5 minutes ago, it shut down, the screen went black, and then restarted, and I HADN'T TOUCHED ANYTHING!!!
Anyone got any advice?
The machine is a Medion, running an AMD Athlon 1600+, Windows XP home, and it had an Epson printer, and an Epson scanner installed, both now disconnected. It has also had software added for a Minolta digital camera, also now disconnected.
Any serious advice gratefully received.
Alcazar
Old 15 November 2002, 05:30 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The " & @ being wrong will be a US Keyboard.

Go into Control Panel > International and pick the right settings for the UK (English British) on the various tabs.
Old 16 November 2002, 03:19 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcazar, looks like you have multiple probs.
Not sure if the reformat and re-install have solved your rebooting problem. If not you may have a short somewhere.
Or.. a virus infecting the master boot record.
If you have to reinstall your OS again, try using format with format /mbr , this re-writes the master boot record.
If you have a spare hard disk around, chuck that in, install the bare OS, and see how it behaves. If still reboots you have to have a hardware problem.