Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Converting 8mm videocamera to avi/mpeg

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 10:21 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going on my 1st track day soon and want to get it on tape.
When I want to convert it to avi or mpeg how do I do it if I dont have any phono conections on my pc.
Old 30 October 2002, 11:00 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to buy a capture card or a USB capture device and use that. Have a look at www.dazzle.com, they do various cards. I think hauppauge do one as well.

The lower end cards capture the video as an avi with very big files. You can then use some software to convert to mpeg or mpeg2 but it takes a lot of processing and a fair amount of time. A mate of mine uses a dazzle card that converts to mpeg as it captures so it is a lot faster, but it cost him about £150.

I have used a USB dazzle capture card with a laptop, drivers were a bit tricky to set up but it was an old card, I guess newer ones would be easier. Cost about £70 at the time I think.

Make sure you get the correct type of card for your camera. Some only do digital camcorders, some do analogue, some may do both.

Hope this helps

Ken