Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USB CD-RW question...

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 09:37 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At work we have a freecom classic 2 usb cd-rw drive. or we did have until last week when it hit the deck after falling 5 feet through the air. i took it to bits and realigned the drive in the case , but when i split the case a tiny chip fell out, so would say the unit is goosed, when you try to burn a cd it goes through all the motions but will not get any further than trying to write the table of contents.
however, looking at the thing it seems to be a standard internal IDE cd drive put into a case, at the back of the case there are some electronics that covert the USB input to to IDE.

We use the USB drive between 3 non networked machines as a means of backing up etc. The question is, can i just get another standard internal drive and put it in the USB to IDE case, or will I have a nightmare finding drivers etc.There doesent seem to be any identifying marks on the busted drive, but i willl tap some part numbers into a search.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 24 October 2002, 09:59 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Why not buy a new firewire CD-RW drive? They're only about £100, and you'll be able to burn significantly faster than using USB (which usually limits most CD drives to about 4x, due to the low data throughput of USB).
Old 24 October 2002, 10:02 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

i would but then theres 3 firewire cards to buy and fit etc. to be honest we don't use it that much and it does the job.

chhers,

mj.
Old 24 October 2002, 11:07 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

fit a normal cdrom drive or borrow a cdrw drive to test if any generic drive will work with freecom.

i too got the freecom cdrw but the small one (traveller). you should be able to identify what drive it is in windows device manager.