Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Old HD into new comp

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2002, 11:57 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a web site anywhere that can tell me how to physically transfer my old comp's HD into the new one as an E: drive or something?

Alternatively can I connect the computers together somehow, and 'suck-in' old the files I need from the old computer?

Thanks
Old 21 October 2002, 12:52 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Just open up the box and connect it up, its usually just 2 connectors, one for power and one for data link. If you check internally you'll see the current HD just next to the floppy drive. Just connect the same two cables from power and motherboard to your old HD.

Regards
Cammy
Old 21 October 2002, 01:36 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

If you connect it as your primary drive be careful, if you used different HD controllers on your old board windows may have a hernia on boot....

If you connect it as your secondary make sure you change the jumpers to "SLAVE" settings....

hth
Old 21 October 2002, 06:37 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cam

I want to run the TWO, and have had a look. Would the second (old) drive piggyback (SCSI style) off the new one? If not do all motherboards have a spare multipin and power pin for a second drive?

Also Crispin, how do I ascertain the dip switches for SLAVE mode for the second drive... Maybe a magnifying glass would help to read the PCB?!

I can not belive how little there is in the box for all this computing power!

D