Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Web Page Form

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2002, 08:48 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Anyone got an example or template of a fill-in form that doesn't need server-side components?

Looking to do a form (with some compulsory fields) that a viewer can fill in. Once its filled in, then its "submitted" but in essence emailed to me. However, the user doesn't get the impression that it was emailed.

Using Demon webspace & haven't got access to IIS & stuff. Not sure if I can run executables there or not (will be finding out I guess!).

KISS is also my motto

Old 10 September 2002, 09:09 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Excellent - that looks just the johnny

Let me go and have a play

Ta!

Old 10 September 2002, 10:29 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puff,

I've done this in the past by having 2 forms on the pages, 1 displayed and one hidden. The displayed form runs a JavaScript function which carries out your validation and then sets the values in the hidden form and then submnits the hidden form which can be a mailto: as mentioned.

Rich
Old 09 October 2002, 09:04 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can do it two ways: try to use a mailto URL (fudging it, obvious to the user) or use the Demon form-mail.pl script...

For "mailto":
Just make the "action" be a mailto URL. Needs a compatible browser, but it'll do...

I'd use some javascript for client-side validation of the fields as you can't use the server to do it

There's no way of making the mail invisible to the end user, especially considering the steps MS has taken recently to try and secure outlook and outlook express. The user will be informed. Nowt you can do about that really.

For the "proper way"

Demon do have a small script to do just what you want on the server - see the form-mail.pl support pages

Hope this helps,

Nick.
(edit to make it a bit clearer as I remembered about demon's form-mail at the end of writing )

[Edited by chiark - 9/10/2002 9:07:04 AM]