Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WinNT 4 (FAT) to Win XP (NTFS) upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2002, 05:53 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone done this and what was the outcome as far as security permissions were concerned on folders, such as Program Files, and the registry, such as HKLM and HKCR, for a restricted user.

On a clean install of XP (NTFS) a restricted user has Read/Execute access to the Program Files and read-only access to the HKLM and HKCR, as would be expected and these are enforced by the OS.

The install where the update has taken place shows the permissions for a restricted user have been set correctly but a restricted user has Write access to the Program Files folder and to the HKLM and HKCR areas of the registry.

The only area where permissions seemed to be working was to the user profiles area, where the restricted user was denied access to other users profiles.

Hands in the air I have yet to check the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but may get a quicker answer here.

Cheers

Nigel
Old 09 September 2002, 12:10 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Honestly mate, forget upgrade and go for a fresh install. Even if it's a workstation and not a server, an upgrade to the existing NT installation is bad news. Not even Microsoft (if you talk to the right people) recommend an upgrade.

Take a good backup, blow the present config away, install fresh OS, configure, restore data and the job's a good 'un. Server happy, no funnies, you're happy.

[Edited by Miles - 9/9/2002 12:11:29 AM]
Old 09 September 2002, 12:44 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Red face

err FAT? Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

FAT doesn't hold user/group permissions. Or does it Its late I know and still wasted

H
Old 09 September 2002, 12:50 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

HHxx you are quite correct, FAT doesn't know anything about permissions....
Old 09 September 2002, 08:17 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Quite correct the FAT doesn't hold the permissions but during the NTFS conversion these 'applied' (hum).

The worry is that the properties page shows the correct access for the restricted user but the restricted user can do what they like to these supposedly restricted areas.

But yes I agree that a fresh install is always better than a upgrade.