Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help for Broadband probs...

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 08:28 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can pick up my virgin mail through bt but you've to keep logging on every so often to keep it going - it doesn't count accessing the mail servers as a logon unfortunately

I'm not bothered about a router as there's only me with a pc in the house and I'm not desperate to have 2 going for a server etc

Apple

edited to say that I kept it alive for the times when anytime wasn't and also for my old email addresses that would be dificult to swap. also lets me give out my virgin address for "non-personal" places that may blast me with spam (and boy, do I get some )

[Edited by Apple - 9/5/2002 8:31:37 AM]
Old 04 September 2002, 07:04 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

I've recently gone up to Broadband and find it a lot nippier (understatement of the year ) but am having a couple of probs:-

If I disconnect and then try to reconnect it says that it can't as either "no dial tone" or turn modem off and back on again. Only way round this to date is a reboot - any suggestions?

Secondly, I've still got my old virgin.net account but how do I dial it to keep it active (only need to log on for a few secs every month). The frog won't dial an "ordinary" phone no. (summat with adsl setup "fooling" modem?). Is there any way to keep this account going with my current setup or have I no choice but to let it die off?

Forgot to say - Win 98 OSR/2 AFAIR.

Thanks

Apple
Old 04 September 2002, 07:13 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

frogs and dial tones with broadband i dont have a clue chap.
Old 04 September 2002, 11:03 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

thanks SS - anybody else have a clue?
Old 04 September 2002, 11:05 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

what the hell is frog?
Old 04 September 2002, 11:25 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the disconnect business, why don't you just leave it connected when the computer is on and disconenct when you shut down?

Do you still have your old modem? If so the you can just dial the other account up but using your old modem. Just don't have both connections up at the same time.

H
Old 04 September 2002, 11:50 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eagle7 - the frog is one of the nicknames for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem as it can look like a frog or more like a flatfish (admittedly after a few bevvies )

I'd thought about leaving connection on all time pc on but tended to disconnect if leaving it for a while...

For the other idea, can I route the adsl etc thro' my old modem and use filter on phone after it or do I have to put a filter to modem and then also one on phone as usual?

Apple

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2002, 12:19 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

can you not use the webmail to access your virgin account just to keep it alive? btw, why would you wanna keep it alive?

kill the frog and get yourself a router. i just setup a netgear DG814 adsl modem with 4-port router and i cant believe how easy it is!!! all i need to enter is the username and password in the configuration and everything was up and running for the whole LAN!

p/s frog aka stingray .
Old 06 September 2002, 10:20 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Just FYI after ringing Virgin.net...

an adsl modem only "calls" the isp it was set up to call so I can't get it to call Virgin as it's set up for BT

I'd have to rig up my old modem once every 30 or 60 days to keep the acoount active - a bind but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Apple
Old 06 September 2002, 11:27 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

why not do what i do. Give everyone your new mail address and still keep checking the old. set up a rule in outlook to filter off the mails through your old account into a separate folder. After a while you will notice that all the good stuff moves over and all that is left will be the odd bit of spam. then you can delete your old mail account.

Old 08 September 2002, 10:53 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eagle 7

I set up an alternative email when I created the bt account and gave this address to my mates as a personal one - the one I get all the spam on is the master one on virgin so I can't delete it

I might set up some more bt addresses so I can transfer what I want and junk the rest - the virgin account was only kept alive for old email and checking whether it was bt anytime or the whole web had gone down at times

Apple