Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Stunning new game for pc

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 11:07 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

For those of you bored of the current crop of games, checked out battlefield1942 from EA.

Its a first person shooter (sorry daz, I know you dont like them) based loosely around medal of honour type scenario (meaning world war 2) BUT there are approx 35 different types of vehicle that you can drive, sail or fly and play against 64 people on a server at a time.

The single player demo has been doing the rounds a fair bit, but a multiplayer demo has just come out and its stunning (some of the mags have demos with them this month).

The maps are huge, the servers for online play are getting quite high numbers of players (for a demo) the only problems ive seen so far have been servers with friendly fire turned on and when your waiting on an air craft carrier for a plane to spawn some less than scrupulous players have been shooting team mates to get to the planes first lol.

There are five different 'class' of player from scout to engineer but all can drive/fly etc.

I can honestly say i haven't been this excited in a game for ages, if you like first person shooters and like class team fortress type games you'll love it.

have enclosed some shots from the battlefield1942 web site where you can also download the demo's and see some movies etc. These pics are IN GAME, not action replays etc.

The single player demo is axis vs allies at tobruk (germans vs brits) the multi player is Japan vs usa (multi player a better demo as you get planes and ships, dont get them in single) nothing to stop you downloading multiplayer and starting your own server so you can practise flying etc.

Will probably have a small server up and running for a few players most evenings under the name uk scoobynet server. If theres a password it will probably be something obvious like subaru
For none online players you can still drive all the vehicles etc, you press a number from 1-4 to alter your seat in the vehicle so you can move between drivers seat, gunner etc.

[Edited by ptholt - 9/2/2002 11:12:34 AM]
Old 09 April 2002, 12:56 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

The Squadgames server that I am going on about is not hosted in the UK, but quite a few players from Europe play on there. I have been on there with an avg of 20 players, 32 player limit. Even though the ping doesn't seem that great, it plays better than it seems.

It would be great if a load of us could jump on and cause havok

Once that the web server list has loaded, click in the filter box and enter ' squad ' then return. You should see the squadgames.com server listed. Connect to it and when prompted, enter the password ' thefallen ' and there you go.

I should be on for most of the evening, but mainly after 10 with StuntMonkey and Mr Lister too.

If you can't see it advertised then do a direct connect to: ' 198.247.231.45, same password. If anyone comes up with a really sweet server that isn't completely stacked, let us know.

Cheers,

Nick

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 9/4/2002 12:57:15 PM]
Old 09 June 2002, 05:46 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I think the video card needs Hardware T&L.
Sound card needs DX8 compatible drivers too.

Had a larf last night - took a plane out mid-flight with an anti-tank gun! Normally I just run round missing stuff and getting shot in the back by the opposition, doh!

[Edited by DazV - 9/6/2002 5:48:30 PM]
Old 02 September 2002, 11:53 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had my eye on this one for a little while

Looks good and I'd be up for some multi-player action
Old 02 September 2002, 11:54 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The demos can be a little tricky to get running as they've been released in a bit of a poor state. but as long as you have directx 8.1 and latest vid card drivers you should be ok.
Old 02 September 2002, 03:41 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

That does indeed look sweet

Will be giving this a crack shortly.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 02 September 2002, 08:50 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

see you in aminute then
Old 03 September 2002, 10:19 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I played it online last night for a couple of hours. Brilliant. Cracked me up, I had to pull myself off of the computer.
I couldn't help myself. The urge to destroy everything, regardless of what side they were on was just too strong
Launching the jeep off in head on's after jumping out, spawning directly behind some random teammate and just having to gun him down in/grenade his ***. Using the artillery emplacement to knock out my own AA team. Knocking out my own destroyer. Taking out my planes with the AA gun.

Now before you all flame me, the 32 other players were all GERMAN. Just had to be done, IMO. I did start playing properly in the end, but it wasn't nearly as fun

Cheers,

Nick
Old 03 September 2002, 05:07 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

I say lets blast the **** out of each other on Pete's server.
Old 04 September 2002, 12:10 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Tried it last night and quite enjoyed it. Was quite impressed by the smoothness of it all.

Haven't tried in a multiplayer environment yet - just had a run around on my own server to familiarise myself.

-DV
Old 04 September 2002, 12:27 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

ive tried putting up my machine as a server but it doesnt seem to be posting to the server list.......

i can be found playing as 'wayland' on the ea uk servers, jolt or multiplay uk servers.

oh and the squadgames server mr footlong just told me about
Old 04 September 2002, 10:07 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Damn you Footlong - I can't see squadgames' server!

Anone want to recommend a bunch of fast servers we can generally find each other on ?

-DV
Old 04 September 2002, 10:07 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Damn you Footlong - I can't see squadgames' server!

Anone want to recommend a bunch of fast servers we can generally find each other on ?

-DV
Old 04 September 2002, 10:08 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate. Not my server. They did mention that it went down about once a day. Today must be a long day
Old 05 September 2002, 12:20 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Found squadgames' server - couldn't find you Footlong!

Will keep looking each night.

This game is as entertaining to watch as it is to play!
Old 05 September 2002, 03:34 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

this is the first time a game wont work for a low spec
(at least thats what i think it is) it just wont start
Old 05 September 2002, 09:11 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

When you say that it won's start, due you get a black screen quickly flash up then back to desktop?
If so, I can most likely help you with that

Cheers,

Nick

Daz, I was looking for it to, but I was on another pretty good server last night that I waited for 5 minutes to get onto, constantly refreshing the player count

I will see if I can track down a server for us all, but all of the best ones are constantly full and IMO, you need at least 20 players to make it interesting/really playable.
I am happyish with the Squadgames server mentioned above, but a certain Mr Holt if bleeting that it is too slow and laggy for him
Old 05 September 2002, 09:22 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well ping of 200+ on 2meg adsl and the game stuttering and freezing like a rheumatic body popper didnt make for a fun experience

an example -
get in plane, take off, connection problems box flashes up game comes back with plane two inches from the floor - boom
Old 05 September 2002, 10:24 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what sort of machine/connection do you think would be good to run a server (32 player game) ?

-DV
Old 05 September 2002, 03:02 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

When you say that it won's start, due you get a black screen quickly flash up then back to desktop?
If so, I can most likely help you with that
That's what I got last night - go on then - help me with it
Froze up just before the "loading" bar completed a few times and then when I did eventually get past there it fires you back to the desktop about a second into the game.
Old 05 September 2002, 03:07 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Oh, now that is different. If it was dropping you to the desktop when starting the game, then it was because you had modified your default d3d/opengl refresh rate to something other than 60hz.
Look in the com forum at Darren (m3)'s post. The latest patch has now been released, at least for the multiplayer version.
I recommend trying that.
Cheers,

Nick
Old 06 September 2002, 10:22 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right, it would appear that for some of us, The Squadgames server is a little laggy to put it mildly, but a few others have no probs. I have a couple of other private ones, but the players attitudes suck on them. Thanks to Mr. Holt, we have what we think to be a cracking server. UK-based, Powerful rig with little load, low ping, private. It is a 32 player max server, but I have been playing with mostly around 20 players on there.
Daz etc, if you want to join this server with us, then drop me a mail.
The other bonus is that Pete isn't that good at this game yet, so is easy prey
Also watch out for me when I am in a tank. 'The Shell Jockey blows his trumpet'

Cheers,

Nick
Old 06 September 2002, 10:32 AM
StuntMonkey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Played on this last night with FootLong and Weyland!
Excellent!

Watchout for Footlong in the tank, (even if you are on the same side!!!!!). I think its 'cos its got more horse power than his scoob!
Old 06 September 2002, 10:56 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

You cheeky muppet! I am not a teamkiller. I got that out of my system the first night that I played it
I only blew you guys up once with my bazooka because both you and pete p!ssed off in a jeep without waiting for me to squat on the bonnet!!
Oh, and Pete once coz his tank was bigger than mine!
I only kill freinds, not strangers
I tell you what though, I can't pilot those planes to save my life!!!

Cheers,

Nick
Old 06 September 2002, 11:10 AM
StuntMonkey
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about the planes. I was getting quite adept at ripping the wings off on buildings whilst trying to take off!!!!!!

Old 06 September 2002, 02:43 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

ah ya bastid i thought i saw you shoot at me lol
Old 06 September 2002, 04:00 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Not happy, demo will not work on my system (1GHz Athlon, 128MB, 32MB Nvida TNT)

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

oh well, back to counterstrike
Old 06 September 2002, 05:11 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well if it goes to black screen, then go to www.nvidia.com (assuming you have a geforce card) download the 3.0.8.2 drivers, install them and it should be fine - assuming you have directx 8.1.

if you havent got a geforce or its another problem, go to the battlefield1942 folder, inside there is a folder called log, open that and open the logs in notepad and let us know what the error is, will see what we can do

another failure is refresh rates, so download the patch from darren (m3)'s post and apply that first then try it as it supposedly fixes some refresh issues.
Old 06 September 2002, 05:24 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The patch did not fix the non 60hz gaming on my rig.
Also, if you are running a TNT, then good luck to you. I have a TNT2 in my work PC and get virtually no graphics at all, regardless of what detonators used. The Graphics engine is simply too advanced for your card to handle I think. We have tried it her too with SIS cards etc. It works correctly on Geforce 2's, 3's and 4's as I have played it on all of them.( a little choppy on the 2's though )

Sorry mate, it maybe fixed, but I don't think so.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 11 September 2002, 04:55 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

Mr Footlong

yes, black screen and back to the desktop, also a sound of a error

did you say you might have a solution ????

Quick Reply: Stunning new game for pc