Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Home network faff

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2002, 10:16 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I have two PCs that I am trying to network together. They both have 3Com 10/100 Ethernet cards installed and are connected by Cat5 crossover cable (no hub).

My main PC is running XP and is connected to my ISDN line. The other PC is an old thing running WinME. I've been through the Home networking wizard on the XP machine and installed/run the little network .exe file (that the wizard generates) on the WinME PC. All well and good.

Problem 1

If my XP machine is on and connected to the internet then when I boot up the ME machine it finds the network connection and connects to the net too. I can remotely disconnect and reconnect from the ME machine (little network icon in the tray). If, however, the XP machine is not connected to the net when the ME one is booted up then there is no apparent way to get the ME machine to dial the ISDN line (the little network icon doesn't appear in the tray). How do I remotely dial the ISDN line?

Problem 2

I cannot access shared folders/printers on either PC. The My Network Places on the XP one lists the other PC but when I try and access it I get
" \\ME is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found".

The ME machine shows the XP one with all it's shared files but again won't let me access......

Somebody out there must know how I can make these bloody machines talk to each other... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ta
Old 22 August 2002, 10:21 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If XP's then, the network wont do a think

think of it as the server

si
Old 22 August 2002, 10:22 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Just thinking you may not know,

ME wont see XP
fat32/NTFS

thats if you convert the File system

si
Old 22 August 2002, 11:48 PM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

not really used XP home edition, but did u assign an ip address to both machines? I've done this in the past, with win98/me/w2k pro etc..etc. as long as they're both in the same workgroup (can be anything, aslong as it matches) it should work.. have you shared any folders out on any of the machines? also check client for microsoft networks is on the me box..

on the me box, try going to \\xp\c$ this should after alittle while give you a user/pass dialog box, can use the administrator id and you should hopefully see the c drive of the xp box..

also on the internet side of things, in the browser for the me box, check the config under the internet connection properties.. might need to use the option, dial if no network present or something like, which should kickstart the xp dialup... are you using internet connection sharing on the xp box?? check the setting in there also..

hope this helps..

tin

edited : cos some of it didn't make sense..

[Edited by Tinsta - 8/22/2002 11:50:03 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 12:09 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

The cross over cable is made up specifically for p.c. to p.c. connection without using a hub isnt it??

There is a difference between the two. i.e. you cannot use a "normal" cable that you would use for hub connection, for use without a hub.

Rich.
Old 23 August 2002, 09:39 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Rich? A xover cable is a xover cable...trasmit and receive swapped doesn't matter if it's for a pc a hub a switch.
Old 23 August 2002, 09:41 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The cable is clearly not an issue as its hardly likely to matter which box was booted first if the cable was incorrectly wired.

I've always steered well clear from Microsofts ICS (or whatever the XP version is) so can't help I'm afraid.
Old 23 August 2002, 10:35 AM
Jed
Scooby Newbie

I have set up such a network and made it work. Problems I ahd were:

1. If you share an internet connection then XP sets the ip address to a default one, which is different to that you would normally assign yourself. You need to set the ME box to 'automatically assign ip address' to get around this.

2. Your user accounts on each machine must be identical, and there may be limits to what you can share or execute if you set the user as restricted on the XP box.

3. You need to ensure the XP firewall is switched off for the local area connection.

Lots of info on www.wown.com
Old 23 August 2002, 10:39 AM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

I take it you are using ICS from the XP box.
This uses some sort of DHCP, so that when the ME box is switched on, it asks any computer it can find what address it will have. The XP box says "You are x.x.x.x". The XP box knows where the ME box is and the ME box knows where the XP box is. Happy.
When you power the ME box on first, and then the XP. The ME is happily thinking it is disconnected (nothing answered it's "What address am I?" question). You gotta make it ask the question again.
I think you should be able to do that by typing in "ipconfig /renew" on the command line. Not sure.

Regards sharing, hopefully you have set up File and Print sharing on the LAN connection (but, please not on the ISDN one). Go to the connection settings -> Control Panel, Network Connections -> Lan Connection, and check that file and print sharing is enabled.
Whilst you are there, go to Control Panel, Network Connections, ISDN Connection, and check that file + print sharing are disabled on that connection and that the ICF is running (via Advanced button).

HTH.
Old 23 August 2002, 04:08 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I've got it working now but it's still slightly hit and miss

Still, it's good enough now to keep the Mrs off my computer so jobs a good un!
Old 24 August 2002, 07:34 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

where are geographically? - You say you are dialing up via ISDN and are using ICS. As you have already stated, for the WinME machine to get Internet the XP machine needs to be powered up.

If you had a router do the dialing up, one machine could be online independent of the other ie the Missus could go online on the WinME without the XP being turned on.

Geography question was because you aint going to go and buy an ISDN dialup router if you can get Broadband! If you can, then problem solved, say goodbye to ICS

Jon

Ps. apologies as I have a feeling you are probably rural and can't get ADSL