Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptops sending mystery data

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 04:43 PM
J T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have lots of laptop users that are complaining when they are logged into our network via dial-up their machines start sending a lot of data even if they are doing nothing. They tell this by looking at the properties of their network connection, while doing nothing the bytes in and out are growing.

Any ideas what is going on, as this is making browsing the network and picking up mail very slow as the laptop seems to be doing a lot of data transfer in the background.

Laptops are win 2k.

James
Old 15 August 2002, 04:47 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming, that as you say "users", "Logging into your network" etc. that you a network admin for this dial-in system ?

If not, then my first guess would be that there is something like SMS running that is checking the remote laptop, maybe uploading new software to the remote laptop etc.

Another option, are you doing automatic virus scanner updates at login ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 August 2002, 04:53 PM
J T
Scooby Regular

SMS is not running.
The laptops are set to check for virus updates when connected, but even when their are no virus updates data is being transfered.
Users have reported of times when they have just downloaded a 1 mb file from our network but when they look at the dialup properties its reported 5 mb has been sent (Why should any data be sent!)
Old 15 August 2002, 05:05 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

if by "download" they mean they have opened a file, then Word and excel save a temp copy of the file. So copy a file back as they open it.

Are they running Mail - Outlook in lan style connected mode can cause a fair amount of traffic

Deano
Old 15 August 2002, 05:20 PM
J T
Scooby Regular

When they download they actualy copy the file from the server to their laptop C:\ drive, can't understand if you are reciving a file why 3 mb of data is saying it has been sent
Old 15 August 2002, 05:54 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Well, on dial-up links you always get some traffic sent back during a download. I.e. it'll be acknowledging receipt of packets during download. However, this is never as big or bigger than the data downloaded

My first port of call would be to check out the login script. Get a copy down to the bare bones for yourself and dial-in and take a look.

Anti-virus can still be the problem. Our admins at one point had it so everytime you dialed in you got a new installation of the AV software, not just the new IDs

Another option, do the laptops have indexing services running and network drives mounted ? I.e. when the login, is the laptop then going and checking remote drives for indexing updates. Something like that ? (Clutch at straws).

Of course, the easy option is for you to get a laptop, dial in and put a watch on the laptop for any files changes and see what processes are using the dial-up link.

Great tools for this at www.sysinternals.com, take a look at Process Explorer, TCPView and FileMon. This way you can watch exactly what is happening on the laptop at dial-up login.

Cheers

Ian
Old 16 August 2002, 02:02 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

We've seen problems with W2K Pro machines and NT 4 at the backend, whereby the W2K Pro machine forces an election and hence grabs the function of Browse Master from the NT 4 DC. Way around this is to disable the "Computer Browser" service on the W2K Pro machines. What my thinking is that the laptop dials in, becomes the Browse Master and slows not just itself down, but slows everything down too.

Just a wild and dangerous suggestion

[Edit for typo]

[Edited by Miles - 8/16/2002 2:03:27 PM]
Old 16 August 2002, 02:06 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Another idea: could there be any folders that automatically synchronise on connection to the network? Like the old Briefcase in Windows 9x[1]

[1] Can't remember the W2K terminology.
Old 16 August 2002, 08:26 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I am inclined to agree with Miles on this one, although some others could be true.
W2K does have the ability, especially used with laptops; to
hold duplicated data, from say their home drives.
If worked on offline, they connect up to the LAN in the office and
the differences are checked, then updated.
But like Miles, i cant remember what its called.
Old 16 August 2002, 09:01 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Synchronize (sic) is the widget, found under Accessories.

I had forgot about that, never use it though