Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Online shopping - hit by credit card fraud

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2002, 01:49 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firsly I'm not making any accusations whatsoever. The facts are simple - our company credit card is used for 2 suppliers. One is a very well known travel company and the other is dabs.com - well known to fellow scoobynetters for buying computers parts online.

Thing is, we've just been hit with a bill from someone hiring a car in the US. The credit card company have accepted it as fraud, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this ?

-DV
Old 13 August 2002, 02:03 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

had quite a few dodgy transactions on my card in the past, pretty widely used so difficult to know where mine came from. The other possibility is that the CC number was input wrongly by the operator so its not always fraud.

Regards
Cammy
Old 13 August 2002, 02:08 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar, but it was my bank card.

All I could figure was that someone had got a receipt and "clonned" the card as I hadnt lost it or anything. It was used for cash back in M & W / Circle K type shops in very near my house - reckon it came out the bin. Had 300 quid taken before it appeared on line and I called up.

got all the money back very quickly - -Lloyds TSB(all credit to them)

andy
Old 13 August 2002, 02:45 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

well, there are people doing hacking for a living, so either they intercepted your credit card details OR they hacked into some online company's customer database holding credit card details.
Old 13 August 2002, 02:47 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I received a phone call from a 'company' asking me if I had just placed an order for 4 PCs totalling £10000. I told them I had not and they told me that they thought someone was trying to use my CC details to make a purchase. They asked me my address just so they could be sure it was not me, I told them no way. I rang the CC company up and told them about the phone call. They said that I did the right thing not giving my address as the 'company' was probably an individual who needed my full address to get the transaction authorised due to the large amount. It turned out that there had already been unauthorised transactions carried out prior to this attempt all from the bloody Maldives, somewhere I have never been!
Old 13 August 2002, 03:08 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

General concensus in the retail industry is that all credit/debit card numbers printed on receipts/slips should be blanked apart from the first 4 and last 4 digits.
This stops people using the number if they find the receipt.
If you find an outlet that prints the whole number, you should complain.
Old 13 August 2002, 03:40 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

Yeah.

Just had my platinum card done by some bloke who ordered 2000$ of stuff from the states!

Luckily the cc company said I wasn't responsable for the fraud, and they cancelled my card.

bummer!