Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unix services for Windows ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 04:03 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just trying to learn about this

Are you after an App that lies on Windows BUT also communicates with linux?

Si

[Edited by super_si - 8/1/2002 4:04:09 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 03:51 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

Anyone using this ?

Anyone tried version 3.0 ?

Reason I ask is that we are trying to ditch a few HP-UX boxes in favour of something quicker, easier to support and a little bit cheaper (). We don't want to go to Linux as we want the users to also use Outlook, Word, Excel etc. I.e. they must use Windows 2k but have the option to use a unix shell on their machine.

Most of the legacy code in non-GUI stuff, mainly scripts under Korn shell.

Basically, is using the Unix services stuff "like" having an Xterm up and running on a Unix box ?

Any ideas, thoughts on this would be useful.

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 August 2002, 04:00 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

If you mean they have to be able to access x from a windows machine try looking at something like Exceed. Not used it in a while, but used it loads from uni workstations (NT4) and my own pc (Win2k) to access SunOS/Solaris servers.

Edit to say, it's basically an X server running on your PC, so you can run anything like. Looks something like:

Win2k with Exceed showing KDE2(or possibly 3) running on a FreeBSD machine. Sorry about the size of the picture, but much smaller makes it illegible.

[Edited by Andrewza - 8/1/2002 4:06:11 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 06:31 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Ian

Works really well.... if you have any Unix monkeys then they will be (nearly) happy too... as the usual stuff all works fine.

The SFU add things like authentication for unix against NT domain controllers to for SSO type stuff. Also printing etc.

Theres an 'eval' in Technet Plus if you can get your hands on it.

Ids
Old 01 August 2002, 06:45 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

reading that ive nearly got hackers 2 The take down.

Si
Old 01 August 2002, 09:56 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Ids,

Cheers for that, yes the real problem is that we have Unix monkeys, so convincing them that their beloved HP-UX boxes can go in the skip is going to be tough.

Our current setup is 3/4 Windows machines, 1/4 HP-UX workstations. We want to kill off the HP-UX boxes fully, so we will not need to communicate with Unix boxes at all (except a couple of very big Unix boxes), just emulate them upon a Windows box for running scripts etc.

Following your clue about it being available on TechNet, I have actually just found a copy of 3.0, seems it has been shipping with MSDN since version 1.0. I really should read the release notes for this stuff

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 August 2002, 11:47 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Give us a shout when those old nasty workstations go out the back door I have an ultra10 and an sgi indigo so I'm short on hp kit ...

Steve
Old 02 August 2002, 12:25 AM
Belf
Scooby Regular

Not sure if you are refering to the smae thing but Microsoft have a product called Interix which adds a unix command processor and virtual file system etc onto Windows 2000. I installed it a while back to have a look but it only lasted until I got bored with it. I got it through MSDN Universal.
Old 02 August 2002, 12:37 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Steve,
HP-UX stuff will go off to another area in the company, so sorry . Anyway, if I could dispose of them myself, a large axe would be involved

Belf,
That is the baby, although they call it "Windows Services for Unix", onto version 3.0 now. And yes, found it in my Universal pile of DVDs (which I will stick in their folders....... one day).

For all who are interested, it looks fairly good, just installed it and had a quick play about. Got a C and Korn shell, NIS, NFS, Telnet servers/clients, looks like single password if you use both a real Unix box and Windows etc. etc. Even has an X distribution but you need an X-server for that. Also has some GNU compilers, ActiveState Perl etc. Looks quite good... for a Unix system.

More info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 August 2002, 09:22 AM
ids
Scooby Regular

Ian

I looks real good. In fact when i went to the Win2K DataCentre launch they were demoing a 32way box that was being 'operated' by a team of 'flip-floppers' (or 'sports sandals' as they like to call em by the command line....

you really could not tell a differnce I recon.

Go for it....

Ids