Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can't join Workgroup (W2k)

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 03:56 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm attempting to set up a home network so my girlfriend can use her work laptop with our cable modem - if she can access work network via the VPN she can work at home.

A second network card has been installed on my home PC and a 5 port hub plugged in.

Her laptop and the 2nd network card on desktop were assigned fixed internal IP addresses with ICS enabled on the 'host' PC network card. The PC's can 'ping' other and my desktop is still able to connect to the internet.

The problem comes when I tried to set up a Workgroup so net access and folders can be shared. The PC's were told to be part of a workgroup called 'Workgroup', then a reboot was requested - thereafter the laptop wouldn't recognise the password to log back into, and needed to be 'sorted' by Cisco IT once she got into work.

He seemed to think what I'd done so far was correct, but the way the laptops are configured makes it very hard for them to be setup on a network outside the Cisco domain.

One suggestion was that the home PC is set up as a server, but I'm pretty keen to keep it as a games machine!

Both systems are running W2k Prof - can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Old 31 July 2002, 03:59 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
think it would be easier if you used a hardware router that supports vpn / nat

As I dont know whether the vpn would work through ICS... Still having major probs with my work vpn - home

David
Old 31 July 2002, 04:05 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

Ian ,

When you set a PC up to use its connection for ICS, the other PC's on the network need to be set to obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP. You mentioned that they are both static. ICS won't work this way, unless the static addresses are 192.168.0.x.

Hope this helps,

Oakers
Old 31 July 2002, 04:05 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that the ICS app was an implementation of a NAT? Seems to be a few conflict issues mentioned, but my lack of technical knowledge fails me at that point.

The gist of what I understand so far is that this problem is unrelated to ICS etc - it's more to do with the laptop not wanting to be part of my Workgroup. Having said that - I'm a salesman not a techie!

I know that my ISP won't allow me to have a fixed IP address and a Cisco domain on the gateway PC.
Old 31 July 2002, 04:08 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Oakers - the static IP address I set up on the internal network were 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
Old 31 July 2002, 04:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I can't get VPN to work over W2K ICS.
Old 31 July 2002, 04:09 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Its irrelevent for the machine to be part of the workgroup I believe, this is just a network level requirement and is not related to workgroups.

Just set up ICS on your PC that physically accessess the ISP. All the other machines should be set up as DHCP hosts.

Works for me, as they say

Making the laptop a workgroup member would really pi$$ of the domain owners as you removed it from the domain, no wonder their IT support team were not happy..

All you need to do is to create some local accounts on the ICS PC that hosts the files you want to share and secure the files with theses accounts via a share. Then on the laptop connect to the ICS PC with the following syntax..

\\<ICS PC>\<Share name> where <ICS PC> is the ICS PCs host name of IP address and <Share name> is the name of the share you've put the files into on the ICS PC. You should be prompted for a username/password which would be the local accounts on the ICS PC you created in the above paragraph..

Make sense ?

[Edited by Ga22ar - 7/31/2002 4:14:41 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2002, 04:12 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
besides, you cant logon to a workgroup... why not just logon using a local account on that computer then it wont matter... about changing anything other than the IP..

David
Old 31 July 2002, 04:14 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

Ok, It may still be worth changing them to DHCP. That way they'll get DNS addresses etc. Just to confirm ICS should be set on the network card connecting to the Internet. Is this a ISDN, modem or Broadband card/box?

Can the laptop ping the second card in your PC. If so, see if it will ping the PPP adapters IP address. That way you can see if ICS is working.

As already said you don't need to be in a Workgroup for this to work.
Old 31 July 2002, 04:17 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

David - this appears to be the problem - I don't have the local admin password (and the profile would be wrong anyway) and there doesn't seem to be a way of selecting which domain to choose (drop down menu isn't there)

My knowledge is clearly a bit sparse - was the Workgroup thing a bit of a red herring? Would be nice to share files/folders as we've got thousands of MP3s (backups ) that milady would like to put on her laptop, but key aspect is this VPN thang.

Anyone got this working with XP?
Old 31 July 2002, 04:25 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

I'll try the DHCP thing when I get back - sorry if I'm repeating myself (got in a cross-post frenzy!) but I need a dynamic address on my Chello (internet) connection.

Oakers - the internet connection is through a Motorola cable modem. Bloody quick - had three downloads of over 100kb per sec running at the same time. The laptop can ping the secondary network card OK, but I'm not sure what PPP is in this context

Ga22ar - I'll give that method a crack, not done this sort of thing before, but I think I've grasped the concept!

Old 31 July 2002, 05:07 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

FWIW I've has winxp connected to a PPTP VPN (FreeBSD server using mpd-netgraph) through a NAT (also FreeBSD using IPFilter(ipnat)). I've not tried it through ICS though. Not sure about getting an l2tp one to work either

[Edited by Andrewza - 7/31/2002 5:08:26 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 10:37 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Found one article that said L2TP MS VPN will work through NAT but not from the box running ICS for some bizarre typcial MS reason no doubt.

Deano