Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Outlook Question

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 12:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, in outlook express you have Identities, which can have a password, and thus you can protect the email accounts you have.

Question is, how do you do this in Outlook? I can't find any identities options?

A friend is using outlook and want's to password protect their email, any way to do this?
Old 31 July 2002, 01:44 PM
ChrisB

You can password protect a PST file

Easy to crack though
Old 31 July 2002, 02:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, and being a ******** how would I do that?

I assume therefore there are no 'identities' as such in Outlook?
Old 31 July 2002, 03:00 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

You can set up profiles to seperate different mail accounts. if this is what you want I will explain later when I have time.

Chris
Old 31 July 2002, 03:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Basically what my friend wants it to be able to have Outlook ask for a password when they launch outlook it, I guess kinda the same as having a password protected identity in Outlook Express. It's just so no-one can access their email whilst they are out of the office.
Old 31 July 2002, 03:13 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt locking the screen be easier - If its Win2k (or XP I guess) then hit ctrl-alt-delete and choose "Lock Computer". ?

Unless its Win98 of course....
Old 31 July 2002, 08:31 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus,

I have time now, but no outllok in front of me . I only really know outlook against openmail, and so I assume that it is similar in exchange. He should already be logging on to outlook using a profile. To look at this you can go to control panel -> mail -> show profiles. I think the default one is called 'exchange settings'. If it is not asking for a password then I a would guess there is a tick box selected somewhere saying remember the password, but I can't remember where that is. He could try creating another profile which I think by default will prompt for the user name and password on start up. There is also a setting somewhere which decides whether to automatically prompt the user for a profile, or use a preselected one. Best of setting it to prompt for the profile to be used.

If this works then he should delete the old profile to stop people using that.

I know this is vague, sorry, but have a trawl around the tools menu, as that is where most of the settings are. It is probably only applicable to users in an enterprise environment, as opposed to it using an internet based setup.

Cheers

Chris

If you have problems then I will try and help more, and hopefully will be able to look at outlook and refresh my memory.
Old 01 August 2002, 08:33 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Markus, your "friend" should protect their mail using their windows logon password... AFAICR there is no way of setting a PW in outlook (this may be complete bollocks tho)