Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NT SCRIPTS

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 03:56 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

hey chaps....is it me?...am I just tired?...am i drunk?!!

put a new workstation onto the NT Network....working fine..can see the server...it is part of the domain...will not load the chuffing login script!!..so the people that are to use it will get a full admin spec PC with their puny login names!!(IE:-they can see the settings tab..etc etc)...tried to load up he policy editor to see if that was what was causing the problem...cannot load the policy for the said users!!...when attempting to log on as admin...the script executes OK but still the roaming profile for admin is not the same...the background and the SCR are the same as when the PC was built(IE STANDARD....what is wrong?!!!is it because the policy in knackered...?and can the policy be re-done with out damaging the script??....(SH*T...yes to the last one??!!...sorry chaps)
Old 12 June 2002, 04:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What have you got the maximum registry size set to... I presume if a different user tries to login then it doesnt make any difference? Did you clone it using ghost or similar, if so has it got a duplicate sid...

run winmsd on the machine and see what the logon server was... or do echo %logonServer% in a cmd prompt... mail me direct if you want more help, faster.. david.wallis@Ventura-uk.com

David
Old 12 June 2002, 05:13 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

*add domain\domain users into the local normal users account, and domain\domain admins into the admin local group on the machine.

*try removing from domain, and rejoining - make sure latest sp are installed.

*check ip settings.

---

*update the main server policy, say change a backdrop for a test group. Log onto a machine you know that works, and see if the policy is be forced, if it is, now try one the machine that doesn't................

what trouble shooting have you done?

Old 12 June 2002, 05:14 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

i presume the account you are logging in as, has a logon script assigned, and is in the right group?
Old 13 June 2002, 11:17 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

yes to most of the question's...apart from the Ip address!!...must check to see if the IP address is in the same scope!!...as far as I know the network on that area has only got 10 PC's...and one PDC(Which is knackered!!...willl not accept Service packs...etc)
they are all running DHCP so i think hte IP address is in range...

yes the login script is running for admin and for pupil...

oh and I cannot open the old Policy which is held on \\ntserver\netlogon
the message of coruption comes up!!

tried to recreate a new policy for the pupil account...did all the restrictions as per normal...saved in the above named folder....still nothing!!

do you think I should just re-build the server?...a server without the ability to take SP installations is C*AP!!?
Old 13 June 2002, 11:20 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

i am resigned to the fact that since I cannot open the old policy for Admin to see what restrictions are in place for the workstations...i might as well do a re-build...because the other policies do not work....the new ones that is !!
Old 13 June 2002, 11:22 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
the policy is called ntconfig.pol isnt it??

or config.pol for 98 / 95 etc

David
Old 13 June 2002, 11:24 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Id also start by building your self a BDC, bring the pdc down and rebuild it, then promote the bdc to pdc and then bring new server online as a bdc, demote pdc and promote bdc...

Start there as policys are unimportant if your server is fcked

David
Old 13 June 2002, 11:44 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

bugger!!!!!....ive named it NTconfig.pol....instead of config.pol...its win98 workstations!!!....

boy i must still be drunk!!

still i need to re-build the server

thanks chaps....i will let you know how i get on

thankyou once again...its web sites like this that make youre day go perfect...

what a nice community we live in!!
Old 13 June 2002, 12:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

David
Old 13 June 2002, 02:19 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

i would also suggest what david recommended, dont scrap the pdc, build a bdc, then in server manager, click on the bdc, and go to computer->promote to pdc.

Once this is done and successful, your old pdc, take it down and re-do it...

oh yeah, don't forget to do a full system backup of the PDC (everything!), before you start doing anything!

[Edited by ChristianR - 6/13/2002 2:20:42 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 03:41 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers christian...and david...I recreated a policy and had no joy!!..i have only just found out(having only been here 6months!) that that particular server collapsed with a migrain one time!!..all the onsite guys did was to put the NT 4.0 disc in and do a repair!..apperantly since then it has been leggless!!..the TW*TS!!

so i will do that..i am currnetly building a workstation with NT server on as I write this...i will then do as per instructed...thanks again chaps
Old 13 June 2002, 03:48 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

PS the backup tape drive on this server has not worked for about a year!!!
even the main network did not have a backup in place until I arrived!!
...its only a small network that no body cares about...the main network took me from the start of my job to now to sort out...i am slowly but surely getting there!!...all i have left to do is the tweaking of the 3com switches(Loads of amber packet collisions lights every 10 15 seconds...we have a fibre backbone i think the bandwith is bing fully utilised!!...but I will get on that as soon as all the network and it's subsiduaries are operational)

what a nightmare this place is...400 workstations....8 servers....1200 users!!..average age of the users is 16+!!

yes youve guessed it...I am the new network guy @ a secondery school!!!
Old 13 June 2002, 03:54 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

why so many servers... Assuming your running 100mbps I doubt you should see that many collisions... are you running every packet under the sun? Do you have a WINS / DNS Servers?

Any routing in place?

David
Old 13 June 2002, 04:00 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

2 DNS servers..server1 and server2...its the old addage...yes sir is think in order to get maximum gains you need to have this and that..and a couple of these...!!
Old 13 June 2002, 04:01 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry no routing!!...one subnet and broadband...we used to have a router in place but that was for the dual ISDN line
Old 13 June 2002, 04:06 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

hmm, Id look to consolidate some of those boxes, get rid of unwanted protocols... especially on printers as these can flood the network full of sh1te... Might be an idea to install network monitor and see what the culprit is.. could be a faulty network card? Any switches? (Apollogies if youve said) if not then get some and segment servers from network, and then segment pcs..

David
Old 13 June 2002, 04:11 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

state of the art...bang bang!!...switches from 3COM...network cards from....hold it....ACCTON(WHO ARE THEY?)..net print boxes..have not got round to seeing to these little blighters just yet...segmentation....mmmmmmm....

does thou have any white papers on this concept?!..(For my boss)he was expecting to be able to spend a sh*T load of wonga on all of this and expect eevrything to be fine!!(HE knows nothing)
Old 13 June 2002, 04:13 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

only running protocols that I know of is TCP/IP and NETBUI

got sniffer pro...need to allocate some time in order to have a play...mind you the last time i had sniffer up and running i got a heck of a lot of workstation just sitting there doing no work..and then suddenly broadcast here broadcast there...they were every where!!!!workstations tlking to each other....it was like a mad house!!
Old 13 June 2002, 04:20 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

remove netbeui..

Not really got any white papers when I mean segmentation... get your self a smallish say 16 / 24port dual speed hub, plug all the servers into here and then a x-over cable / (or via uplink port) to each hub / stack.... What is the fibre for / connected to? transcievers or hub / switches?

David
Old 06 December 2002, 04:17 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Also check the registry permissions on the default user hive... make sure everyone has full control.

ignore all in previous apart from max reg size.

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 6/12/2002 4:18:10 PM]