Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network bandwidth tools??

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 09:57 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Can anyone recommend good bandwidth management software for LAN/WAN?

We have a Linx-based HTTP proxy and a Linux-based Firewall on our network. Sometimes our net connection grinds to a halt, so I'm looking for something that will show me how and more importantly who is consuming the bandwidth.

At the moment it's not too serious, so something free or eval is fine, but it might be something we need permanent.

BTW, I've used Packeteer in the past but that's not an option right now.

Thanks,

Stefan
Old 12 June 2002, 11:06 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Realtime or looking at the logs over time ? Something like Webtrends will analyse the logs from your proxy/firewall and show you where your bandwidth is going.

Jeff
Old 12 June 2002, 02:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Jeff,

Ideally real-time. Just a simple graph would be enough although some logging of the port would be ideal.

Our firewall has two NIC's. One for the external router, another for the internal LAN. Just want to see what the Internet traffic through the router is, what bandwidth were getting, what's using it and whose using it.

Stefan
Old 12 June 2002, 06:58 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Kev,

First thing is to see the utilisation and identify what beggars are running Kazaa or Bearshare (apart from me of course )

I'll have a look later.

Stefan
Old 13 June 2002, 04:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

What I'm trying to do is easily check exactly what type of traffic is using our Internet connection. This is a basic diagram of our LAN

If I put a sniffer (or any other management device) on the public Internet connection (shown in Red) I stand a better chance of monitoring purely net traffic.

The firewall uses NAT, so that means I can't list the internal IP address/MAC address for the source - correct??

Stefan
Old 13 June 2002, 06:34 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Ask your ISP we are finding that more and more are providing it as a free of charge service to prove that their service works.

I am in the (un?)lucky position that we have three ISP's and two of them provide MTRG or an equivalent info from our routers so that there is no arguement should there be a failure.
Old 06 December 2002, 04:48 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stefan

Have a look a MRTG (from www.mrtg.org) - free and runs on any OS as long as you have a decent version of PERL installed and any device with SNMP enabled.

Its worth a look for interface stats etc.... very quick to configure, just make sure you configure your firewall/device and SNMP properly

Edited to say >>> Ooop - not for bandwidth mgmt but for trying to see utilisation

Kev

[Edited by ids - 6/12/2002 4:49:02 PM]