Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Gaming PC in one room but play it in another

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2016, 02:49 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaming PC in one room but play it in another

Quick question, I want to have room scale VR, the only room big enough would be the living room. I would expect the PC would need to be in there for length of cables etc.
That's ok, but when I'm not VR'ing I would be upstairs in the box room where I am at the moment using a PC.
Is there anything on the market that would allow me to have the PC downstairs yet effectively control it and use it as if it were still in my little cave without inducing a load of lag?
Old 20 October 2016, 03:51 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Steam Link may do most of what you need without costing a lot of money or being technically challenging.
Old 21 October 2016, 10:57 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've got a steam link at the moment but it goes the other way (PC in the box room/gaming in the living room). I did ask at the time on Steam whether you could drive the Vive with it but got no response, if that were possible I'd be sorted.
My pickle is that I have triple screens upstairs which I'd like to retain so the single HDMI connection that the Steam Link provides wouldn't do this.
Old 22 October 2016, 07:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not consider an amp that does two rooms or a longer monitor cable as descent GPU's do two monitors and get a good wireless keyboard mouse setup that can be used over say a 10m range even though you don't need that distance.
Old 27 October 2016, 03:26 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'd have to be a bloody long monitor cable, can you get them that long?

Just buy another PC for the mancave, good excuse to get something up to date then

Last edited by bioforger; 27 October 2016 at 03:44 PM.