Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

The heady heights of tech innovation

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2016, 01:32 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default The heady heights of tech innovation

I haven't seen the actual filing for this, but you'd imagine it must have been submitted on April 1st

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...t_a_paper_bag/
Old 20 September 2016, 01:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems pretty normal to me. I'm sure Tetra Pak are happy they filed a patent.
Old 20 September 2016, 07:03 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Seems pretty normal to me. I'm sure Tetra Pak are happy they filed a patent.
Right, but I'm just as sure that Jiffy would never had the front to try and patent plain paper envelopes, and if they had, they would quite rightly have been laughed at for doing so.
Old 20 September 2016, 07:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If you build a better envelope you patent it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windowed_envelope
Old 20 September 2016, 08:32 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

If you build a better envelope you patent it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windowed_envelope
Thank you for proving my point for me. There's absolutely nothing special at all about Apple's paper bag, hence their patent is an utter p!ss-take.
Old 20 September 2016, 09:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's all nonsense but it's a game you have to play.
Old 20 September 2016, 09:04 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

It's all nonsense but it's a game you have to play.
Oh, come on. A particular size and shape of plastic button, or a particular thickness and colour of electronic cable, maybe. But a paper bag? Their legal people are losing the plot.
Old 20 September 2016, 11:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markjmd
Oh, come on. A particular size and shape of plastic button, or a particular thickness and colour of electronic cable, maybe. But a paper bag? Their legal people are losing the plot.
I had a read up, sounds like a great bag. I'm not sure about Apple but at McAfee we were paid serious cash for patent applications, tons more if accepted, we'd put in anything.
Old 21 September 2016, 07:26 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I had a read up, sounds like a great bag. I'm not sure about Apple but at McAfee we were paid serious cash for patent applications, tons more if accepted, we'd put in anything.
It's a piece of folded and glued paper ffs!
Old 21 September 2016, 08:50 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's a piece of folded and glued paper ffs!
Well, there's a bit more to it than that, but basically yes, they've created a unique bag that they feel is worthy of a patent. I doubt it will be granted but it certainly gained them some free publicity.
Old 21 September 2016, 01:11 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Well, there's a bit more to it than that, but basically yes, they've created a unique bag that they feel is worthy of a patent. I doubt it will be granted but it certainly gained them some free publicity.
I've been served goods in identical-looking glued and folded paper bags plenty of times in the past, in plenty of different places, so perhaps you could enlighten us on what exactly you define as "unique".
Old 21 September 2016, 01:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've been served goods in identical-looking glued and folded paper bags plenty of times in the past, in plenty of different places, so perhaps you could enlighten us on what exactly you define as "unique".
Luckily for me that's what a patent is, the link is in your article.
Old 21 September 2016, 01:31 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Luckily for me that's what a patent is, the link is in your article.
I don't see anything in that patent that strikes me as obviously unique. Would you be so kind as to point out the most relevant specifics for me?
Old 21 September 2016, 02:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I don't see anything in that patent that strikes me as obviously unique. Would you be so kind as to point out the most relevant specifics for me?
I would but that again is the job of the patent and the patent office. The only reason this is news is Apple sells clicks otherwise it's normal business.
Old 21 September 2016, 05:50 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I would but that again is the job of the patent and the patent office. The only reason this is news is Apple sells clicks otherwise it's normal business.
Sorry, but you don't get off that easy. YOU said the bag was unique, so you must think there's something about it that clearly differentiates it from any other folded and glued bag made of paper. Now tell us what you think that siomething is, or admit Apple are just taking a punt at a completely pointless and meritless patent, as a stupid marketing stunt or for some other nonsensical reason.
Old 21 September 2016, 06:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Sorry, but you don't get off that easy. YOU said the bag was unique, so you must think there's something about it that clearly differentiates it from any other folded and glued bag made of paper. Now tell us what you think that siomething is, or admit Apple are just taking a punt at a completely pointless and meritless patent, as a stupid marketing stunt or for some other nonsensical reason.
I do get off that easy, it's not like you're paying me. Here's a link http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/19/12...simple-refined
Old 21 September 2016, 06:09 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All they're doing is patenting a certain design of bag, I really don't see what you're getting yourself so over excited about.
Old 21 September 2016, 06:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Because APPLE
Old 21 September 2016, 06:16 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Because APPLE
That was my base assumption but I didn't wanna say in case Toffee Apple turns up and goes on about fanbois again.
Old 21 September 2016, 06:30 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
All they're doing is patenting a certain design of bag, I really don't see what you're getting yourself so over excited about.
It's a simple enough question. All I'm asking is for Jack to tell us in his own words how this "certain design of bag" warrants the label unique. It's becoming obvious he's already realized he's going to sink like a stone in an ocean of ridicule as soon as we get down to discussing specifics, but if you want to take up the baton now and fill in for him, you're more than welcome to
Old 21 September 2016, 06:36 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

It's a particular style/shape/colour of bag which Apple most believe (or want people to) associate with their brand. At the end of the day it's cheap advertising and by patenting it they can protect that investment.
Old 21 September 2016, 06:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'm no fan of the patent system but if Apple or anyone want to try to get a patent for a shopping bag then more power to them.

What I don't get is why you're taking a story from the internet and trying to use it to gain weird satisfaction, it's your time, crack on.
Old 22 September 2016, 07:44 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

It's a particular style/shape/colour of bag which Apple most believe (or want people to) associate with their brand. At the end of the day it's cheap advertising and by patenting it they can protect that investment.
It's a bag. It's made of paper. It's no more a "design" than a generic mug, or a wheel, or a door. If you believe otherwise, you really, really do need to have a serious rethink of the entire world around you.
Old 22 September 2016, 07:46 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I'm no fan of the patent system but if Apple or anyone want to try to get a patent for a shopping bag then more power to them.

What I don't get is why you're taking a story from the internet and trying to use it to gain weird satisfaction, it's your time, crack on.
I'm guessing it must be your secretary who's been replying to my posts all this time then, and not Sir Jack in person
Old 22 September 2016, 08:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's a bag. It's made of paper. It's no more a "design" than a generic mug, or a wheel, or a door. If you believe otherwise, you really, really do need to have a serious rethink of the entire world around you.
Do you own an Apple bag? They're very good.
Old 22 September 2016, 10:13 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6966484

And that's just an envelope for CDs/DVSs. You might want to go away and have a think about the work required to actually design a bag or an envelope, or perhaps even a mug. Then have a little think about why you might wnat to patent it.
Old 23 September 2016, 02:00 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6966484

And that's just an envelope for CDs/DVSs. You might want to go away and have a think about the work required to actually design a bag or an envelope, or perhaps even a mug. Then have a little think about why you might wnat to patent it.
Nice try, but the example you've given here is for an envelope that fulfils a function that 99.99% of standard envelopes do not (usable for sending of an initial letter AND another in response), and would therefore satisfy most people's definition of unique. By contrast, I'm still waiting for you or Jack to even hint at which special function Apple's bag fulfills, that isn't already fulfilled by 99.99% of other folded and glued paper bags in existence.

Last edited by markjmd; 23 September 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 23 September 2016, 02:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nice try, but the example you've given here is for an envelope that fulfils a function that 99.99% of standard envelopes do not (usable for sending of an initial letter AND another in response), and would therefore satisfy most people's definition of unique. By contrast, I'm still waiting for you or Jack to even hint at which special function Apple's bag fulfills, that isn't already fulfilled by 99.99% of other folded and glued paper bags in existence.
Rather than do your research for you I provided a link which you obviously didn't read. I'm pretty sure they're using materials that haven't been used before, which pretty much closes the door on your picking.
Old 23 September 2016, 06:05 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

You really don't understand what you're talking about do you. Here's a start for your research.

http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/ip_busine...ce/reasons.htm
Old 24 September 2016, 08:32 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Rather than do your research for you I provided a link which you obviously didn't read. I'm pretty sure they're using materials that haven't been used before, which pretty much closes the door on your picking.
Since starting this thread, I've gone back and read the entire patent. And guess what? They're using that radical new break-through called paper.

Quick Reply: The heady heights of tech innovation