Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Aint broke...don't fix?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2016, 08:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Aint broke...don't fix?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36385839

It made me smile in a nostalgic way

Compared to a modern computer/smart devices that require huge capacity and processing power due to inefficient high-level programming languages, and forcing them into premature obsolescence by endless updates to software and operating systems and over-pretty user interfaces.

Anyone remember how quick a MS-Dos base 386 was running a text word-processor, or Sage accounting/Payroll? Menus navigated instantly, files loaded quick, there was little if no lag....whereas today we have a hard disk thrashing away and waiting for a menu to "slide into view" instead of popping up instantly...just because it looks prettier.

Compared to the modern equivalents that are buggy and massively resource hungry software just so it can have lovely and pretty GUI...creating more mouse clicks and making it actually slower to use regardless of processing power (mouse/touchpad/tourch screen is almost always slower to navigate than a keyboard, especially with programmed menu shortcuts ).

I think I'd advise the pentagon to stick to their IBM series 1

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 May 2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 26 May 2016, 01:36 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, but you try posting the above on here with your lag free MSDOS and a word processor and some keyboard shortcuts!! I would guess it would take you a lot longer than using your current buggy setup and numerous mouse clicks!

Last edited by jonc; 26 May 2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 26 May 2016, 02:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Yes, but you try posting the above on here with your lag free MSDOS and a word processor and some keyboard shortcuts!! I would guess it would take you a lot longer than using your current buggy setup and numerous mouse clicks!
depends how familiar with the tech you are, i'd bet it would be alot faster haha