Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cancelling Sky TV after latest price hike-alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2016, 10:05 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cancelling Sky TV after latest price hike-alternatives

Been with Sky for bloody years ( TV only ) and over the last few years they have been sneaking in price hikes on a regular basis, £1 or £2 but the latest hike of £5 has tipped me over the edge
I already pay some stupid monthly price for the basic package plus Sky Sports but I have broadband from BT and get BT Sport anyway.

So my question to the SN massive is this :

If I cancelled my entire Sky package ( I assume I can keep the box as it still has a ton of recordings ) what is the best way to get similar channels on something like a Kodi box. I have an Amazon Fire stick so was wondering about hacking it .

So any great ideas on how I can tell Sky to sod off
Old 26 April 2016, 11:05 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BT fibre + BT sports + 20 premium channels + HD for £38 a month. Throw in an android box or a fire stick with Kodi and you have everything you need.

I sell fully loaded Fire Sticks £45
Old 26 April 2016, 11:22 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Top man, thanks for the reply. I will be pm you later
Old 26 April 2016, 11:27 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
BT fibre + BT sports + 20 premium channels + HD for £38 a month. Throw in an android box or a fire stick with Kodi and you have everything you need.

SN discount?
Old 26 April 2016, 11:27 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Group Buy ??
Old 26 April 2016, 11:43 AM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very simple to do setup Kodi yourself, lots of easy to follow YouTube clips - but saying that paying someone a tenner to do it isn't a bad deal either.
Old 26 April 2016, 11:45 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I assume I can keep the box as it still has a ton of recordings
Unfortunately without a Sky subscription I am almost certain that you will not be able to view your recordings. I think that you have to pay for Sky + separately (around £10 or so per month) to keep this functionality.
However your recordings remain on the box should you decide to subscribe again In the future. I looked into this when I cancelled previously, it takes the absolute p... that you have to pay to watch a programme you have recorded. I'll have to think about digging out my old video recorder in time when I cancel later this year.
Old 26 April 2016, 12:23 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jason7579
Unfortunately without a Sky subscription I am almost certain that you will not be able to view your recordings. I think that you have to pay for Sky + separately (around £10 or so per month) to keep this functionality.
However your recordings remain on the box should you decide to subscribe again In the future. I looked into this when I cancelled previously, it takes the absolute p... that you have to pay to watch a programme you have recorded. I'll have to think about digging out my old video recorder in time when I cancel later this year.

bloody typical I suppose the easiest way to test this is to pull out the Sky viewing card and then see if I can access the box.
If that is true then although I have made these recordings as part of my contract, if I lose them then they were only rented to me , *******s
Old 26 April 2016, 12:25 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jason7579
Think your right mate you'll have your recordings but you won't be able to access them, there's much better options out there rather than kodi and streaming
Old 26 April 2016, 12:43 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

bloody typical I suppose the easiest way to test this is to pull out the Sky viewing card and then see if I can access the box.
If that is true then although I have made these recordings as part of my contract, if I lose them then they were only rented to me , *******s
From what I can recall (the older I get the more forgetful I am) when I looked into it once I read that at some point around the end of your subscription a signal is sent to the box, I'm not sure if it is via the internet or through the dish, that in effect stops your box from allowing you to view the recordings. It appears that with the older viewing cards there was a way to get around this but with the modern ones it is not possible to bypass.
Old 26 April 2016, 12:59 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Kodi is hit and miss though as far as I'm concerned.
Things that work today, don't necessarily still work in a few days time
Old 26 April 2016, 01:42 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

I have just cancelled Sky - BT TV/Fibre is being switched on at end of this week. I also have NOW TV for the Sky channels that I want to be able to watch. (Double the speed of sky fibre offering, and including the cost of NOW TV still works out cheaper overall)

Fed up of Skys prices, and price hikes too. Unfortunately Virgin is not available in my area, or that would have been my preferred choice.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 26 April 2016, 01:48 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Yep. Also content is being blocked by the ISP's meaning the best way to use it is with a VPN which is a further cost.
Old 26 April 2016, 01:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Call Sky - complain, and they'll probably offer you a discounted rate.
Old 26 April 2016, 02:16 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

I will be calling them up but unless they can offer me all 80 channels including the box for £10 a month ( as that is what I can get with BT ) then they can royally **** off
Think I will either invest in a fire stick fully loaded or hack my own one and combine that with my BT package should see me through
Old 26 April 2016, 02:29 PM
Wouldie
Scooby Regular

Think sky are getting wise to the old discount me or cancel me, as several people l know have tried that and sky were quite happy to let them cancel.
Old 26 April 2016, 02:31 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wouldie
Think sky are getting wise to the old discount me or cancel me, as several people l know have tried that and sky were quite happy to let them cancel.
Yep - agree with this, we were not offered any incentive to stay at all. Our monthly Sky bill was approx £90.
Old 26 April 2016, 02:37 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

NO problem then, I will be quite happy to sack them, saves me nearly £70 a month .
I already pay BT about £35 a month for BT Infinity , get BT sport as part of that package. So as my contract is up for renewal soon, I will see if they can do a similar package to Jay Allen

BT fibre + BT sports + 20 premium channels + HD for £38 a month
Then add in either a cracked Fire Stick and I think I will be sorted. I also have a jailbroken Apple TV 2 which streams content from my NAS box which has around 3TB of movies.

I cant, with the exception of Sky Exclusive content , see how I will be worse off considering the saving.

I guess the hardest problem for someone who has been with Sky for even longer than my eldest son (who is now 16 years old !! ) is getting used to not reaching for the Sky remote to watch normal channels etc but considering the sky remote is playing up, maybe it is a sign
Old 26 April 2016, 03:33 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Yet another thread about Sky and TV woes! I'll say it again; can't beat a Humax freeview box for £0/per month
Old 26 April 2016, 04:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I will be calling them up but unless they can offer me all 80 channels including the box for £10 a month ( as that is what I can get with BT ) then they can royally **** off
what do you get for £10 per month?
Old 26 April 2016, 04:20 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
Yep - agree with this, we were not offered any incentive to stay at all. Our monthly Sky bill was approx £90.
Did either of you stick to your guns though?
I know several people who state the same as you, but got a phone call from Sky close to the actual cancellation date with an offer.

I myself called them in the last two weeks, I got 40% discount for 12 months.
Old 26 April 2016, 04:52 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

what do you get for £10 per month?
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ts/tv-packages

Old 26 April 2016, 05:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Yet another thread about Sky and TV woes! I'll say it again; can't beat a Humax freeview box for £0/per month
Same, except I just use freeview built into my TV, anyone who needs more than that and a few trips to the cinema needs a new hobby. TV is a terrible drug.

Won't be long before there's only pirates left and then who's going to pay for production, you're all digging your own grave.
Old 26 April 2016, 05:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
If you're going to do this trick you have to be prepared to cancel if they don't offer you anything.

Last year I got the Family bundle for free for a yr. This year I've got unlimited broadband for free and my Family bundle 1/2 price for yr. Both times I had to cancel and let them chase me. This year they even offered me before my notice period was up so didn't do without!!
Old 26 April 2016, 05:24 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-OP...YAAOSwAvJW9ReG
Old 26 April 2016, 06:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just priced up the BT package and sets me £50.99 pm plus the £56 one off fee for equipment. (Reward of £100 top up credit card)

I'm with sky and it's £50 pm on a £70 contract, but I get a discount as I ring up every time moaning when my discount expires, they tell me to ring up as always offers on when discount expires.

So compared to BT package, mines actually cheaper for same package plus BT want you to pay for equipment as a first customer as with sky if you're new you get free installation and free equipment and a free gift (last time was a 32" tv).

May aswell stay put for now.
Old 26 April 2016, 06:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Think it's more to do with how you approach them IMO, don't act cocky and they will look after you if you genuinely come across as it's expensive for what you get.
Old 26 April 2016, 06:43 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
SN discount?
If they were any cheaper I'd be giving them away!

Add-on's come and go. Yes you are at the mercy of the developers but what else do you want got free? If you want something more stable then you can pay for a subscription service with one the bet being Dexter pro. It's cost is a £5 donation per month and for that you get basically all the Sky channels including HD.............On top of that you get many HD sports channels including 3pm Saturday football.

Originally Posted by Davros 1979
Yep. Also content is being blocked by the ISP's meaning the best way to use it is with a VPN which is a further cost.
Which ISP's are those then? I know that BT, SKY, EE, Plus Net and Talk Talk haven't blocked any content.
Old 26 April 2016, 07:32 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need SN+ membership to advertise.
Old 26 April 2016, 07:33 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
You need SN+ membership to advertise.
Micky

Quick Reply: Cancelling Sky TV after latest price hike-alternatives