Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Game Cube?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 09:32 AM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got both. I'm not particularly a Microsoft fan, having to stuggle with there stuff at work, and having an Apple at home, but I do think they've done a great job. I bought on launch day, haven't had a single crash or any other problem.

IMHO, X-Box hammers the Gamecube on all counts. There's some fantastic xbox titles out there already, the graphic capabilities of the xbox are miles better from what I've seen so far.

Games-wise there are some great ones (Halo, MotoGP, DOA3 spring to mind), but there's plenty of garbage as well, so my only criticism would be that Microsoft need to get more involved with their game publishers to keep the quality up.

Plus, there's sh*tloads of stuff in development 'cos there are lots of development teams familiar with building for xbox as it's a development from PC architecture. Colin Macrae 3 and Deus Ex 2 look like they should be a bit special.

If you can only have one, have the X-Box.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:05 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I know that there are a lot of Star Wars titles coming out on Xbox some very good ones as well but I don't know about Rogue Squadron.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:18 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm... might have to buy both then (eventually).
Old 10 June 2002, 10:23 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got an xbox last week, can't switch it off

Games I got,

Halo- damn fantastic
Dave Mirra- is very addictive, good fun to play
Project Gotham- again superb in all counts
Wreckless- crap, took it back and got a refund

My box went wrong within a day, but I got it swapped out and the new one is behaving ok so far

Old 10 June 2002, 10:27 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

MegaStream - sounds good...

But..

Halo - don't like it
Dave Mirra - dislike that sort of game..
Project Gotham - I've owned MSR on Dreamcast, much of a muchness..

The only StarWars game on Xbox doesn't appeal.. well, think I've got my answer defo now... the Xbox may be a better console, but there isn't any games I want on it.. but the GameCube does have some games I want.. hmm.. might change my mind again... doh! dunno!...
Old 10 June 2002, 10:43 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

We need to have an exchange program..you buy game cube n rougue squadron, I got the xbox, we swap each surrey meet LOL
I hate Mario, but RS looks fun
C
Old 10 June 2002, 10:46 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

As for the hard disks in Xbox, i heard today that Seagate have developed a hard disk specifically for consoles, that is due to go into the Xbox as good as immediately.

I will be getting an Xbox this week from Duty Free in Heathrow or Gatwick - MotoGP, Rallisport and Oddworld will be the first titles i get !!
Old 10 June 2002, 10:59 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chuck - that could work
Old 10 June 2002, 12:13 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Rogue Leader = GameCube only.

You won't see it on X-Box, just like you won't see any Grand Theft Auto games on X-Box either.

Other Gamecube only games, MArio & Zelda are both nearing completion and will be out this year (in Jap & US) - which is when I'll buy one.

Meanwhile PS2 continues to get exccelent games - just got Virtua Fighter 4, Way of the Samurai and Winning Eleven 6 and all are excellent.
Old 10 June 2002, 12:45 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Alex,

my answer to your question would be the following.

Bought my cube on second week of release in japan.
Bought xbox on usa release.

Since xbox arrived gamecube wasn't even turned on and I actually sold it about a month ago as it just wasnt being used. Software support was dire, games were far to easy. A friend has given his to his 9 year old cousin as it just didnt give a challenge to hardened gamers.

For your case if your not into Halo (easily best xbox game) i would say try rallisport challenge (if you like driving games) as thats stunning, but with the type of games you have stated you like i would say wait a few months for the cube to have the game type you like released, then try one for a while before you buy and see where they are marketing it, my opinion was it was for a younger generation of games players unfortunately.

By the time you wait cube will either have some good (challenging) titles OR xbox may be down in price.

If you want to have a go of rallisport challenge or other xbox games, get yourself to a sussex meet and you can try mine afterwards.
Old 10 June 2002, 05:13 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Good choice Alex, GC is gonna get better and better once Ninty get some killer aps released on it and the controller is pukka.
I have all 3 consoles and have to say Xbox is getting most of my attention, but I know on GC theres Mario and Zelda on the way, plus Perfect Dark sequel and Banjo etc.
If you buy an Xbox get either a PS2 to Xbox pad converter or a Jap Xbox controller cos the standard controller sucks.

Can I have my downpipe back when you got 5 mins m8, may have to put my car back to standard to keep my dealer happy
Old 11 June 2002, 12:26 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Just for anyone who's interested Xbox is getting perfect Dark as well, should be good especially if it makes good use of the XBox's power.
Old 11 June 2002, 08:32 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

DrEvil - what do you think of the Cube so far? Im tempted to get one as Rogue Leader looks the nuts and me and the lads always like a bit of Mario Kart action after the pub. I sold my PS2 with 2 games for £230 a while back so plenty of wonga to get the cube.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:07 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

Question

I bought my Gamecube the weekend after launch - would like to sell for £200 - with additional Nintendo controller (never used), 64MB memory, ISS2, Tony Hawks 3 and Smash Bros Mellee ... interested ?
Mail me !!
Old 11 June 2002, 10:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nah as 2 of the 3 games dont interest me unfortunately. Cheers for asking anyways.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:12 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

Question

ok, £180 - any takers ?
Old 11 June 2002, 10:47 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

blaster - ISS2 is crap. Its a watered down version of the yet to be released Pro Evo Soccer for GameCube.

I'll pass on your offer too.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:52 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Big Goon - agreed mate - as for your up-pipe, I'll get it back for you.

P1fanatic - so far so good.. must admit I bought Super Smash Bros Melee, and its hilarious, keep me and a couple of friends playing for hours last night... Rogue Leader is the dogs! I think its great because it sets the seen like the films and things like the death star level (basically Star Wars Episode 4's end bit) is great - a little confusing grey tie fighters against a complex grey surface can get a bit frustrating.. but the control method is superb...

So, so far not had a lot of time to play the games, apparently its a little boring to watch Rogue Leader (quote her indoors ).. but..

Luigi's Mansion - cool graphics and sound, good game play, but not quite what I was expecting, think the control method takes some getting used too

Rogue Leader - the nuts, reminds you of parts of the films. Brillant graphics and sound, loadsa samples from the films
And really cool to play

Super Smash Bros Melee - was not expecting to enjoy this, but mad level design and mental weapons, make this beat 'em worth having for the same reason as Mario Kart, fun factor when you have mates round... some hilarious effects in this, such as kirby being able to vacuum up the oponent and in part become them.. some really cool backdrops that have a fair amount of interaction too...

Alex
Old 12 June 2002, 08:56 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

FAO P1Fanatic
Old 12 June 2002, 11:33 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nice one matey. Think I will get one after next pay day. Was that deal at Dixons a special deal for you as you haggled or one they are offering at the mo? Id like the same sort of setup but a 2nd official nintendo gamepad, rogue leader and a footy game.
Old 12 June 2002, 12:06 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

P1Fanatic,

It was a special deal cos I wasn't 100% happy with the idea of a joytech controller... so they gave me 50% off the offical memory card.

The basic deal was £193, which was 2 games, gamecube and joytech controller... they did do a fixed two game pack with second nintendo controller but that was £219...

Woolworth's seemed to be the only other people offering the official controller + 2 games + gc for circa £200, but they haven't got any left!

You could always sell the Joytech for a tenner unused to someone and get an official one later...

Best thing is to haggle a little at Dixons as they seem to be open to ideas Unlike Game/E-B..

Alex
Old 12 June 2002, 07:15 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

The GameCube looks crap, silly little farts(mario) jumping about collecting ****e.
Please
Old 12 June 2002, 10:57 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

bumcrack, you talk such ar$e

Old 13 June 2002, 08:54 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Each to their own eh Bumcrack...
Old 13 June 2002, 11:55 AM
Homer Simpson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I played on a Game Cube last night and I was more impressed with that than the X Box.

I saw Halo and thought that it was a poor quality 1st person shoot'em up, that can be done much better on a PC than a games console! I know I'll get flamed for this comment, but if I wanted to play PC type games, I'll play them on my PC!!! I wasn't even impressed with the other titles my mate had!

The Game Cube has wonderful graphics and the games I saw I thought were brilliant. Luigi's Mansion was ver impressive, much like when I first saw Mario's World on the N64 many moons ago. Although not a fan of flight sims, Rouge Leader looked like a good quality PC game! (Good thing!) And Super Smash Bros Melee was amazing fun, nice cartoon graphics, good sound and most importantly lots of playability.

I see the Game Cube as a good complement to my exsisting PS2. And I already have a reasonable PC being used for 1st person shoot'em ups!

Good choice Alex!
Old 13 June 2002, 12:04 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice, so is Marge buying one then?
Check out cube.ign.com mate, there are pics of those games i mentioned last night.
Old 13 June 2002, 12:06 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Angry

My 2nd x-box in a week broke last night

Keeps saying I need it serviced and the light on the front flashes red , exactly the same as the original one did within a day of purchase

I've had enough of it now, its going back for a refund on Saturday [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 13 June 2002, 01:22 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

The videos of Mario Sunshine, Zelda and the new 1080 look incredible - the thing I like about the gamecube (not got one yet though) is that the graphics have a different feel about them. The Xbox seems so 'sharp' - just like a PC game (no surprises) - with the PS2 (which I do own - and can't stop playing Pro Evo Soccer) in the middle.

I'm going down the Gamecube path - but perhaps in 3/4 months time.

Rich.
Old 13 June 2002, 01:32 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Totally agree Scotsman - the graphics system does a lovely job of rendering the graphics.

The X-Box just looks like a PC.

Playstation2 has terrible mipmapping / aliasing.

Gamecube looks lovely, mind you the people who helped create the GameCube's "flipper" chip are ex-Silicon Graphics who are top of their field.

Old 13 June 2002, 01:46 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

DazV - learn something everyday, ex-SGI staff worked on the GC then..cool

Quick Reply: Game Cube?