Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Clonng a C drive

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2016, 04:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Clonng a C drive

What's the best way to clone my C drive on to another hdd. The hard drive is just far too slow for me and since 1tb ssd have dropped in price loads I think it's time to fit one to my laptop.

I have no interest in setting my pc up as new pc with the new drive so I really just want to clone it.
Old 17 January 2016, 05:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
What's the best way to clone my C drive on to another hdd. The hard drive is just far too slow for me and since 1tb ssd have dropped in price loads I think it's time to fit one to my laptop.

I have no interest in setting my pc up as new pc with the new drive so I really just want to clone it.
I have one of those stand alone clone machines. Plug both drive in and press two buttons, away it copies. Ensure your old drive has no bad sectors or it might not clone dependant on device /software running. Do a chkdsk and repair bad sectors before cloning.
Old 17 January 2016, 05:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

That's sounds like a cracking thing to have, what's the shelf life on one of those and how much are they?
Old 17 January 2016, 07:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy a sammy ssd it comes with the cloning software, which you can do over USB or sata.

You can get it here, http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html

Last edited by bioforger; 17 January 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 18 January 2016, 09:14 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
That's sounds like a cracking thing to have, what's the shelf life on one of those and how much are they?
http://www.startech.com/uk/m/HDD/Dup...SB~SATDOCK22RE

I think this is the model I have
Old 18 January 2016, 11:20 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a copy of acronis true image for 30 odd quid. I use it weekly in work and the universal restore function is great, it allows you to run on dissimilar hardware without the usual blue screens.
Old 19 January 2016, 06:02 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fitted a Kingston Savage SSD to my laptop and it has speeded it up a lot. It came with a code for a download of Acronis True Image. I bought an external SATA to USB enclosure but you can pay more for one in the Installation Kit option from Kingston.

I installed a clean version of Windows and reinstalled everything else but you can easily just clone the original.
Old 22 January 2016, 02:09 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve

I would try Clonezilla its free and works as LiveCD and really nothing beat that,great program and really great for cloning HDD

Or I would try this one,I've used this one in past for cloning two SSD

http://www.aomeitech.com/

Or this one is good one

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 January 2016, 10:32 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Another vote for Clonezilla, I use this for backing up clean builds so I can easily restore to a fresh build if and when needed such as on test machines.

What deals are there on laptop 1tb ssd drives now?
Old 26 January 2016, 12:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

personaly i'd just do a fresh install, takes about 30 mins on a decent speed ssd to do one and will be nice and clean.

They advise reinstalling windows once a year anyway becuase of file corruption and such.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Who does? MS? lol

No need to reinstall at all, just a regular ccleaner and malware check is all you need, OS is as fresh as it was when it was installed.
Old 26 January 2016, 03:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Who does? MS? lol

No need to reinstall at all, just a regular ccleaner and malware check is all you need, OS is as fresh as it was when it was installed.
Go search on google, depends who you ask in the industry and how well you can clean your system.

Over time your system will slow down, you can run defrag, cleaners etc etc but they take time and have to be done often to be effective.

I am yet to find a cleaner or malware tool that doesn't in someway affect windows, i like and use malware bytes, but even that has downsides to what it identifies as bad.

A common recommendation is to regularly reinstall if you arn't an expert at cleaning (registry is a pita in particular) or when you install new hardware, especially a HD. which is exactly what's happening in this case.

New hard drive is a good opportunity to start from a fresh rather than copy across any already present errors
Old 26 January 2016, 03:15 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

CCLeaner is a perfect tool for cleaning the registry and startup/config/services, most people don't need to defrag as they have SSD's now.
Old 26 January 2016, 03:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
CCLeaner is a perfect tool for cleaning the registry and startup/config/services, most people don't need to defrag as they have SSD's now.
assuming it doesnt remove stuff you dont want it to. net full of questions regarding stuff removed. Funny how they make money by selling tech support

It's all a tad irrelevant in this case anyway, New hard drive is a definite situation for a clean install.
Old 26 January 2016, 04:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

lol, it only removes issues and redundant entries, i've been using it for years, its never caused a single problem.

The Tech support is probably for the morons who get stuck on how to use the config/startup pieces

Yep absolutely for a new drive a clean install is always better, but you certainly don't need to refresh it every year lol.