Hi guys, potential buy, advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2015, 10:30 PM
Firks
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys, potential buy, advice appreciated

Hi Guys,

Figured i'd just go ahead and sign up seeing as iam going to be buying a subie soon!

Im actually going to see a bugeye wagon soon, with a view to buy it if all is ok.
i do have a question about modding though;

the car seems to be in good condition, its done nearly 150k miles but it has full service history and had its belts etc done on time. ive asked him all the usual things to look for with the impreza i.e. engine knocking, notchy/grinding gearbox etc...

its standard and im assuming has been through out its life.

Anyway, the question i wanted to ask you guys is;

would it be a really bad idea to add power mods to a car with this kind of mileage? i wouldnt want to go higher than 300-320bhp so i was thinking the usual 255 fuel pump, partial decat (dont want loud), intercooler, injectors and maybe a turbo, to get past the 280bhp region.

Obviously im thinking i reaalllly dont want to kill the gearbox or of course spin a bearing, hence me wondering if the its not a good idea to mod a high miler.

as of course i havent seen the care in person yet, im just assuming the car is a well maintained high mileage car, that has more than likely been driven hard at least for some of its life.

my long term goal is to convert it to a hawkeye and to have obviously boosted its power etc...

so yeah, advice would be super!

i look forward to be apart of here regardless of what wagon i end up buying!
Old 20 October 2015, 10:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Your asking for trouble putting a extra 100bhp through a 150k mile engine/gearbox, it will probably cost you more in the long run. Personally the money you was going to spend on modifications on top of the purchase of the car, get a car with less miles or maybe one that's already got mods done to it!

What sort of budget have you got for a car?? And ill keep a eye out(I look everyday for myself anyway!!)
Old 20 October 2015, 10:57 PM
Firks
Scooby Newbie

i guessed as much! my budget is only £2k so i was planning on enjoying a stock car whilst getting bits in the coming months as i earn money, to then add on in one go. yeah that would be the wise thing to do, im just feeling very impatient i guess! theres not much about in my budget, especially since my budget is so low.

how much are rebuild parts for these anyhow? ive never owned a subaru or worked on them,
but i dont see why i couldnt do a rebuild myself. ive some mechanical experience, and having a family owned repairs garage to fall back on if i get in over my head
Old 21 October 2015, 08:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

There pretty much easy to work on, and parts are quite cheap as there are lots of Subaru's being broken for parts, Im on the look out for a Impreza wagon myself to put my dogs in the back, looking at finding one with a budget of £2k, owned plenty of Impreza's to know that £2k is going to get me a a classic turbo 2000 or bugeye WRX that will need work doing to it, but im not bothered as long as it drives in a straight line, I dont mind getting my hands dirty, and not bothered on condition because the back will be filthy when the 2 dogs have been out in it!!!
Old 22 October 2015, 03:36 PM
Toph90
Scooby Regular

Thats great, thanks alot for the help guys, will let you know if they are better