Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Curved TV, are they taking the preverbial?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2015, 06:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curved TV, are they taking the preverbial?

Just been looking round the local emporium at new Tv's

Its Curved, HD or 4K,

Not to worried as i'm only window shopping.. but what i cant get is the curved tv's ...

Fantastic picture , until you hit black.... then all the distortion in the screen is shown up by reflected light, the very thing there supposed to fix lol

Some were much worse than others, the one's with matt shreen finishes wer'nt as bad, but with the glossy screen, any reflection is visible straight away, and look awfull.

anyone else seen this ?

mart
Old 18 May 2015, 07:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There's an unhealthy obsession with the latest TV in the UK - do people really need a new TV the size of a football pitch every 1-2 years?

No, they don't.
Old 18 May 2015, 07:24 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Curved TVs are relatively new, so will have loads of teething problems and be overly expensive.
Go back to a HD tv from 5/7 years ago, they were crap but expensive. Look at what you can get now in HD... Incredbile TV's.

Id recommend sticking with HD untill the curved and 4K TVs get more pop investing and more popular, then prices will drop and quality will go up like the HD TVs have done.

I can say though theres nothing like an awesome TV... I had an average one for years, and then me and the missus took the plunge and bought a top samsung TV, ok it will expensive but its so worth it, couldnt go back now to an average one!!! Same goes for Home Cinema, could not go back to just TV speakers after owning a great stereo system. A good TV and good surround sound changes the way you watch films!
Old 18 May 2015, 08:13 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
There's an unhealthy obsession with the latest TV in the UK - do people really need a new TV the size of a football pitch every 1-2 years?

No, they don't.
People dont need 500 bhp in their road cars ,but they can and do cos they choose to.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:23 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
People dont need 500 bhp in their road cars ,but they can and do cos they choose to.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm clearly talking about REPLACING TVs every year, not getting a good one in the first place.

I view massive TVs as a statement of being a bit pikey.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:30 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Agreed , but people replace things all the time that dont really need replacing. Mobile phones come to mind
Old 18 May 2015, 08:47 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I must admit, i do have a 50 inch HD screen and could have got away with one slightly bigger but couldnt see the point. Ive got a cinema system too, but its never on cos the better half moans its too loud. Women lol
Old 18 May 2015, 08:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

TVs just don't interest me; we have a fairly good (when bought) Panasonic TV and DVD player but it's pretty old.

Hifi is much more my bag but even my stereo is pretty old; newer isn't usually better with sound kit - luckily!
Old 18 May 2015, 09:06 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I think the main advantage a new tv has over old, is the sheer space saved. Before we had ours. we had a 32 inch Sony Trinitron. What a ball ache to locate in a room and move around if necessary.
Old 19 May 2015, 07:28 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Prices have really come Down lately, I did a lot of research on TVs a few weeks back.

Panasonic have only just released three new range some very very Nice ones there, but if I had to buy one before Xmas I think at present the contender for my wall would be this.

http://www.sony.co.uk/buy/x9405c-x93...u=KD55X9305CBU

I have mainly Panasonic in the house but the bedroom has Sony and the picture and vibrancy in colours is far superior, and these Sony with speakers down the side sound amazing, most TVs lack good sound and need sound bars etc, these sonys don't..

OLED will get you black on black...
Old 19 May 2015, 09:19 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

2.5k that's a lot of dosh.

I'm in the market for a new telly, but am not considering 4k as yet because there's nothing to play!

Give it 2-3 years when the platform has stabilised (isn't there an issue where there are two 4k resolutions?) and more media is readily available and I'll jump.

At the moment, there are some serious bargains to be had in standard HD tellys.
Old 19 May 2015, 09:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a decent one, 50"....sadly, there's fek all worth watching most nights.....unless you like repeats and documentaries.
Old 19 May 2015, 10:34 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Netflix is 4k on some content now, also all my Cameras I have do 4k. however your right..

One thing to bare in mind though my example is overkill but its what id like, if I had to be sensible then the 4k sony at 1k is where id go.

I like Samsung too, but after working with them for a year or 2 at Royal Mail, im not a massive fan of there backbone, I know how they work and on the surface they do bloody good TVs, but internally there kinda weak... compared to Sony and Panasonic.
Old 19 May 2015, 10:47 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm clearly talking about REPLACING TVs every year, not getting a good one in the first place.

I view massive TVs as a statement of being a bit pikey.
who replaces them every year? or is this an assumption?

I like to replace mine nearly every 5 year but when i do i try get the possible best on the market, i like my movies so i take a great deal in selecting my tv.

Bigger is not always better all down to your viewing distance, id love a projector for the films but the wife says no.

Last edited by Ant; 19 May 2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 19 May 2015, 10:57 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I replace mine when the last one dies.
We did get a bigger one (32") when we moved to a house with a bigger lounge but that's it. Same with the DVD player; the last one died.

I see no reason to spend a couple of grand on a TV every few years.

That's for cars, bikes, surfboards.
Old 19 May 2015, 11:00 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got this a few months ago for £730 with a 5 year guarantee. I think it was last year's top end Samsung before the curved screens. With a lot of the same technology as them as well. Don't know how easy it is to get now though...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue46h7000-review
Old 19 May 2015, 11:00 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I don't think mine are 7 years old, hence why the next will be 4k... as I wont be changing it again anytime soon...
Old 19 May 2015, 11:04 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've never understood 3D, you put glasses on to watch tv, i hate it at the cinema, 2D all the way for me.

I've had 4 TV's in less than a year, but thats not by choice they keep breaking down
Old 19 May 2015, 11:19 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I remember the hype about HD and Blu Ray; so got an HD TV and Blu Ray DVD player; virtually naff all difference!
Old 19 May 2015, 11:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

3-D doesn't work for me unless I wear glasses AND the 3-D ones, so I have no interest in it. Although ours will show 3-D.

It's also smart....but I have zero idea how to use it....or even what it can be used for.
And does catch-up on the five main channels....but we use that about once a flood.

The bit that gets me is the eco part........every night it warns you that you have 60 seconds to find the remote and click it, or it will turn off........usually just as the programme reaches it's finale, and, of course, the remote is always lost

Bloody Virgin box does the same....but it only gives you 10 seconds.....

Good picture though.
Old 19 May 2015, 12:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Only bought 42" because of the 3d and the freesat ( built in) - we have needed this since the signal was removed for freeview here ,

wanted 37" but didn't have these two things

If I did it again id sack off the 3d and get 32" probably ( and freest box if it wasn't built in )
Old 19 May 2015, 12:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hasn't it been proven that your curved screen is in fact fundamentally pointless
Old 19 May 2015, 12:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the main advantage a new tv has over old, is the sheer space saved. Before we had ours. we had a 32 inch Sony Trinitron. What a ball ache to locate in a room and move around if necessary.

Definitely.

Although what I find really annoying is the top of the range models only come in 50"+ sizes. I'd much rather have a smaller screen with a better picture+motion processing. And that a 46" is about the biggest that would fit (currently have a 42" plasma).

I was looking to replace our old plasma with the last "and best" Plasma Panasonic ever made: The TX-P60ZT65B. As seeing that OLED is the only real replacement for Plasma for picture quality and it taking far too long to mature and get properly mainstream, so a new plasma should keep me happy and tie me over for another 5 years.

Problem! Its only available in 60" Try as I might, there's no way it would fit where I want it to go. So looks like I'm stuck with the 42" mid-range Plasma. And looking around, no proper "top-end" models exist in sub in 50" sizes whatever technology it uses.

I suppose its the same problem with cars: The really good stuff only comes in large packages: If you want a 400+bhp AWD v8 you have to buy a big heavy Audi RS4/RS6 etc. I'd much prefer that package in something smaller and lighter....A 400+bhp V8 AWD Audi A1?
Old 19 May 2015, 12:51 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I remember the hype about HD and Blu Ray; so got an HD TV and Blu Ray DVD player; virtually naff all difference!
if you can't tell the difference between SD and HD then you need to go here http://www.specsavers.co.uk
Old 19 May 2015, 12:53 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

3d only works at one thing and thats cinema and in Imax! amazing!

I've used 3d handful of times and that was when i got the tv, pointless at home
Old 19 May 2015, 01:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Have 3D on my main TV 64F8500 and can watch the Le Mans demo but anything like a film (Hugo for instance) I can't watch as it's strains my eyes.

3D was a dead end - Sky are turning off 3D and making it PPV so that's dead. 4K is a good few years away - Netflix streams some 4K content but you're limit by what connection you have and if the average for the UK is 17mb you'll not get extensive 4K streaming for years. Curved seems almost as a waste of time as 3D.
Originally Posted by Barxy

Go back to a HD tv from 5/7 years ago, they were crap but expensive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Kuro
Crap, no. Expensive, hell yes!
Old 19 May 2015, 01:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The Panny I was looking at was essentially the modern day Kuro.

That was a 60" TV too

Makes me wonder if the Panny was just a Kuro panel with a few modern extras added (afterall Panasonic did buy the technology rights off Pioneer).

Pioneer are a shadow of their former-selves...even their car audio and HiFi gear (what they were once best at) is somewhat naff these days.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 May 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:13 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Definitely.

Although what I find really annoying is the top of the range models only come in 50"+ sizes. I'd much rather have a smaller screen with a better picture+motion processing. And that a 46" is about the biggest that would fit (currently have a 42" plasma).

I was looking to replace our old plasma with the last "and best" Plasma Panasonic ever made: The TX-P60ZT65B. As seeing that OLED is the only real replacement for Plasma for picture quality and it taking far too long to mature and get properly mainstream, so a new plasma should keep me happy and tie me over for another 5 years.

Problem! Its only available in 60" Try as I might, there's no way it would fit where I want it to go. So looks like I'm stuck with the 42" mid-range Plasma. And looking around, no proper "top-end" models exist in sub in 50" sizes whatever technology it uses.

I suppose its the same problem with cars: The really good stuff only comes in large packages: If you want a 400+bhp AWD v8 you have to buy a big heavy Audi RS4/RS6 etc. I'd much prefer that package in something smaller and lighter....A 400+bhp V8 AWD Audi A1?
Our M135i has 95% the same engine as an M3/4; which is nice.
Old 19 May 2015, 04:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Which they won't do as they are afraid of it out-shining their flagship motor.

Quick Reply: Curved TV, are they taking the preverbial?