Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Speakers Switching Unit

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2015, 09:45 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers Switching Unit

Wondering if anyone has good recommendations for an audio input switching unit, preferably an automatic one.

Due to lack of space, I use self powered speakers, Q Acoustic BT3's and Ruark MR1's. If anyones thinking about investing, the BT3's are simply awesome, natural and balanced, the Ruarks are a little more 'digital' and boomy but still fantastic as well.

Im due to buy a turntable , probably a couple of Project Debut's but the Ruark speakers only have one single 3.5mm input, and the BT3's have multiple and various inputs but all are needed.

So ideally I need a couple switching units,

one that can do RCA or 3.5mm jack in and 3.5mm jack out for the Ruarks
and
one for multiple RCA's for the BT3's

Any suggestions? I am not an audiophile, (i probably would be if I had the money!) but I do like a good setup, something reasonably priced would be appreciative!

Cheers y'all
Old 17 May 2015, 10:30 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, first things first, what you're actually looking for here is a line-input/output switch (sometimes also referred to as an audio-selector switch), NOT a speaker switch. A true speaker switch would have its input terminals connected to the amplified speaker terminals of an amp, and its outputs connected to a set of non-amplified speakers, whereas both the Acoustic and Ruark items you're talking about here need a non-amplified line-level output from whichever audio source you're going to be using, which they're then going to amplify themselves.

The first problem this leaves you with is that in the Hi-Fi world, very few people are making analog audio swtiching units any more (they're almost all exclusively HDMI or optical-digital, which is definitely no use for your setup), so you're unlikely to find anything suitable from somewhere like Richer Sounds or Superfi. The second problem is that the majority of analog audio switches that are still made are designed (or at least sold as) multi-input to single output, whereas you're looking for single input to multi-output. That last point will rule out pretty much any of the available automatic units (for example this http://cpc.farnell.com/cyp/chdd-41ar...rgb/dp/AV13025), but if you're happy with using a manual selector then it shouldn't make any difference, as you can safely wire up your single input as the output on the switch, and your two sets of speakers as inputs.

On that basis, a lot of the available offerings from Maplin, CPC, and so on are all much of a muchness. If it was my choice, I'd go for either of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4-way-ster...itch-box-cn47b
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...der/dp/AV12763

Or if you wanted something with remote-control:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...tor/dp/AV12738

So far as the different layout of the inputs on your speakers are concerned, I think you may have misunderstood how the Ruarks need to be cabled up. If I've read their blurb correctly, they take a standard 3.5mm stereo jack input to the 'master' speaker, and then have their own special input/output cabling to provide the feed to the second speaker. So far as cabling up your switch is concerned then, you'll just need a pair of RCA to 3.5mm adaptors or adaptor cables, one for each pair of speakers.

One last thing, you haven't mentioned whether you've already got or plan to get a pre-amplifier to go with your turntable(s). Since it doesn't look like you're using a conventional Hi-Fi amp, which would in most cases have one built-in, you will definitely need one of those also (connected up between the turntable and the switch).
Old 17 May 2015, 10:55 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Mark I appreciate the time and research on this buddy, thanks!

I actually had a couple of those switch units, but threw them away years ago ironically, thinking I would never need them again. I presumed with all the new world of multiple devices, someone may of invented new funky switch units, but obviously not

The BT3's do have an optical input which is currently used for the tv, but the Ruarks completely minimal. So am I right in thinking I could use an optical switch for the BT3 setup?

Thankyou for reminding me about the turntable pre amp, completely forgot about that at, another couple of hundred quid to add to the bill!
Old 17 May 2015, 11:40 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity
Mark I appreciate the time and research on this buddy, thanks!
No worries, this is all very familiar terroitory for me, just something to do while eating breakfast.

I actually had a couple of those switch units, but threw them away years ago ironically, thinking I would never need them again. I presumed with all the new world of multiple devices, someone may of invented new funky switch units, but obviously not

The BT3's do have an optical input which is currently used for the tv, but the Ruarks completely minimal. So am I right in thinking I could use an optical switch for the BT3 setup?
Not really, no, because the output from your turntable/pre-amp will almost certainly be analog, and you're definitely not going to find a switch anywhere (unless you have thousands of ££ to spend) which deals with a mix of digital and analog inputs and outputs (it would have to have a built-in analog to digital converter, for starters).

Thank you for reminding me about the turntable pre amp, completely forgot about that at, another couple of hundred quid to add to the bill!
I think you'll easily find a decent enough pre-amp safely below the £100 mark if you hunt around a little. This for example:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2469-proj...amplifier.aspx
Old 17 May 2015, 01:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't looked around as I dont have a lot of time today, but I would buy a fair bit of audio and video distribution kit from Kramer electronics - cant fault the quality of their kit at all.

they might be able to help you.

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk
Old 17 May 2015, 01:28 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
No worries, this is all very familiar terroitory for me, just something to do while eating breakfast.

Not really, no, because the output from your turntable/pre-amp will almost certainly be analog, and you're definitely not going to find a switch anywhere (unless you have thousands of ££ to spend) which deals with a mix of digital and analog inputs and outputs (it would have to have a built-in analog to digital converter, for starters).

I think you'll easily find a decent enough pre-amp safely below the £100 mark if you hunt around a little. This for example:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2469-proj...amplifier.aspx
Yep I spotted those right after you reminded me

Thanks mate, seems like the little basic switching box will have to do but appreciate the advice

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Haven't looked around as I dont have a lot of time today, but I would buy a fair bit of audio and video distribution kit from Kramer electronics - cant fault the quality of their kit at all.

they might be able to help you.

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk
Cheers buddy, I will have a nose