Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Just got BT Infinity - Strange Speedtest result

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2015, 03:57 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got BT Infinity - Strange Speedtest result

Have just moved into a house which didn't even have a phone line switched on. Decided on BT Infinity as I've never had fibre before. Today is the switch-on date and my router has just started working, but I'm getting a strange speedtest result. It appears to be working really quickly for streaming video etc, but my result is only around 3 meg download but 5 or so meg upload. Am I not seeing a proper download speed yet? The 5 meg upload seems like it should be about right for the fibre package I've gone for, but why is it saying 3 meg download when it seems much quicker? My last house had a standard broadband package that came back as 6 meg download on a speedtest but was noticibly slower in reality.
Old 24 February 2015, 04:04 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Have just moved into a house which didn't even have a phone line switched on. Decided on BT Infinity as I've never had fibre before. Today is the switch-on date and my router has just started working, but I'm getting a strange speedtest result. It appears to be working really quickly for streaming video etc, but my result is only around 3 meg download but 5 or so meg upload. Am I not seeing a proper download speed yet? The 5 meg upload seems like it should be about right for the fibre package I've gone for, but why is it saying 3 meg download when it seems much quicker? My last house had a standard broadband package that came back as 6 meg download on a speedtest but was noticibly slower in reality.
Has it actually gone live, mine did not go live until the evening of the switch on day
Old 24 February 2015, 04:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Well the phone line was 'cut off' to the property, so to speak. Put on a stop line or whatever you call it, not so much as a dial tone and now I'm able to watch por... erm netflix etc, so presumably it has gone live? Still no dial tone though, strangely.
Old 24 February 2015, 04:42 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st week it will be establishing it's top seed, so give it a week and then try again.
Old 24 February 2015, 10:39 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Problem solved. Router wasn't plugged into the 'master socket'. There's a socket in the living room fixed to the wall where the wires must be in the wall behind it. Just assumed as that was the most permanent looking that it must be the master, but there is another socket in the master bedroom with a cable coming down the side of the door frame into it. Plugged the router into that and straight away I'm up to 36 meg download and I'm on a 38 meg plan.
Old 25 February 2015, 04:57 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The master socket is normally the nearest socket to the front door of the house. BT only cable literally to the front of the house and easiest point in when the house is built is usually the front door. Anything further on than that will be internal wiring and best practice would be to always be plugged directly into the master socket (I actually use the test socket behind it so as to avoid any internal wiring issues or disconnect all internal wiring on the master socket).