Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone recommend a home CCTV system?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 12:37 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone recommend a home CCTV system?

Can anyone recommend a half sensible home CCTV system? I want to put a couple of cameras around the house, as a deterrent more than anything as my shed/workshop thing is filled with expensive tools and I have a firearm in the house. Our community association have reported a couple of burglaries in the area recently and I'm afraid of our house getting done over. We were burgled in our old house ten years ago and lost a hell of a lot of stuff and got nothing back. Although I'm fully insured, I'd hate to be in that boat again. Ideally I'd want something that can go online for remote access. What have you guys got?
Old 01 February 2015, 12:56 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Old 01 February 2015, 01:18 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 01 February 2015, 01:31 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to train my bullmastiff puppy to put intruders down....
Old 01 February 2015, 04:41 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

I can highly recommend the Logitec Alert system. It records any movement / heat and has night vision.
You can also log into it online and check it anywhere.
You can add indoor and outdoor cameras.
Brilliant system. It even caught me falling off my front step last year. I've still got to send that into You've been framed.
Old 02 February 2015, 09:02 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hikvision is damn good.

Cameras are £90 for a 3mp IP version with IR & for in/outdoor use on eBay. Suitable NVR is about £275. You then only have to run Cat5 to the cams.

Hikvision do a dynamic DNS so you can use that to access your camera either on a remote laptop or via a smartphone app. Quality is top notch and it can be linked in to your alarm/send emails etc.

I have a setup for my home in London and one in Donegal covering my mum's house.
Old 02 February 2015, 12:59 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Recently put in an IP system with NVR and cameras from HDCCTV.co.uk. Took a bit of setting up as I hadn’t any experience with IP cams, but all in a very nice (relatively cheap) system with very good picture quality.
Motion detection is rubbish, but that’s apparently not uncommon with some of these systems.

The system is at a remote location, I can view and make local recordings via an app and can access the NVR for viewing recorded footage via a web browser, can also make changes to set-up and reboots if required. I went for the mini NVR and added a 1TD external drive.

The only problem I have is that the location is subject to frequent power outage, the NVR reboots Ok but the external drive requires a manual power on. Not a big deal but would like to find a way of making the drive automatically restart if I could. I guess you wouldn’t get this problem if you went for the version with the built in drive.
Old 02 February 2015, 01:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan

The only problem I have is that the location is subject to frequent power outage, the NVR reboots Ok but the external drive requires a manual power on. Not a big deal but would like to find a way of making the drive automatically restart if I could. I guess you wouldn’t get this problem if you went for the version with the built in drive.

Get a UPS? Even a basic not too big one should give quite a bit of time on just an HDD
Old 02 February 2015, 01:29 PM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

This is a great system if you want quality pictures, oh and you are competent enough to fit it yourself.

http://www.cctvfirst.co.uk/hd-sdi-cc...r-p535685.html
Old 02 February 2015, 01:32 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Get a UPS? Even a basic not too big one should give quite a bit of time on just an HDD
Good idea
Old 04 February 2015, 08:36 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im with Allan this is what I,ll get
http://hdcctv.co.uk/collections/hdsd...e-iqs1920b2-1t

get good reviews and the DVR seems a very good one for the price.. SDI Cams are the way forward 1080p or Ethernet, but HDTV did say SDI when I rung them
Old 04 February 2015, 01:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Im with Allan this is what I,ll get
http://hdcctv.co.uk/collections/hdsd...e-iqs1920b2-1t

get good reviews and the DVR seems a very good one for the price.. SDI Cams are the way forward 1080p or Ethernet, but HDTV did say SDI when I rung them
I had a lot of problems with the motion detection, but they are a great bunch of guys and their customer service is fantastic. We couldn't resolve the problems in the end despite working with the main importer Y3K, it hasn't put me off buying more camera's from them.

I opted for the HD-IP system as it was a clean install and only requires cat5 cabling to the camera's, all are powered by POE from the hub.
Old 05 February 2015, 11:49 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll be going with IP cameras for the best image quality. I've set up remote access before using a DNS server so hopefully I'll be ok on that front. Is motion detection an important feature to you guys?
Old 06 February 2015, 06:58 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no diff in quality from IP to SDI .

Ip versions can sometimes use a central system thus the remote quality suffers SDI don't
Ie you have to login to a cloud based platform to see your system, Swann do this.

I rang two companies and both said SDI 1080p I did want IP as I'm in IT but I didn't know enough to argue it
Old 06 February 2015, 01:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll be going with IP cameras for the best image quality. I've set up remote access before using a DNS server so hopefully I'll be ok on that front. Is motion detection an important feature to you guys?
Motion detection was important to me, but I've had to accept that it just doesn't work correctly on my system at the moment. I would assume Y3K are working on further firmware revisions. I don't know if this applies to all versions of their cameras and NVRs.

You can browse directly to the log in page of the NVR, so no cloud service required with this system.
Viewing options:
Via a monitor connected directly to the NVR, quality is very good, playback and searching for recorded footage is very quick and smooth.
Via the app (goolink) is very good quality, takes a little time to load (20 sec or so), snapshots and recording can be done on your phone if required.
Via a browser, image quality is not very good but adequate if your just using it for remote viewing, playback is very clunky and slow but does work. You can also get to the NVR full menu to make set-up changes, or even remotely re-boot.

I've set mine up using DDNS, you will also need to ensure certain ports are open on the router.