Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LED TV Monitor and LED Monitor sceen quality?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2014, 11:23 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED TV Monitor and LED Monitor sceen quality?

I was bought a SAMSUNG LT19C300 19" LED TV Monitor for Xmas to put beside my exisiting 19" CRT PC monitor and enable dual screen for when working at home and i will use the CRT for photo editing as its colour reproduction is very true.

I am going to return samsung this and pay the extra to get a bigger screen and i have space for 24" but now the idea of using a TV monitor has been suggested i dont know if to get the larger SAMSUNGLT24D390EW/EN 24" LED TV Monitor or the plain PC Monitor only Acer G246HLBbid LED 24" Monitor as i cant find a trust worthy review of the picture quality differences between these different type of products this will go in my home offices which has no TV at the moment and no space for a larger TV.

any body had any experience of these products or similar?
Old 31 December 2014, 09:06 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I had an LG 24 inch TV/Monitor and it was pretty good picture quality.

Don't see any reason why the Samsung should be a problem and I use my 42 inch TV in the living room as a monitor for my HTPC with no issues.

A monitor is often cheaper though these days.
Old 31 December 2014, 09:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Couple things to look at: resolution
A tv monitor may be 720 or 1080, which aren't natural PC resolutions

Second: panel type

Bottom end stuff will likely to be a "TN" type panel, it slightly better at responding but viewing angles and colour reproduction is inferior to a IPS or xVA panel.

I think TVs monitors are typically being sold as TVs but I have found they have inferior speakers to a dedicated branded TV, although this may not always be the case as in terms of audio quality there is some dire stuff out there these days.

As you obviously appreciate your CRT it shows you see something lacking in the average LCD. If you get the chance to look at the dell U2412M, it not the best but it is IPS (albeit 6bit) and 1920x1200 resolution. I don't think you'll get better for the same money.
Old 31 December 2014, 04:36 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Ali makes a valid point, although I would argue 1080p is now the most dominant resolution used on PC's due to gaming and console ports. Widescreen is not a Natural PC resolution even 1920x1200. Only 4:3 profiles are Natural PC resolutions really.

I run dual monitors, 30inch 2560x1600 and 27inch 1080p and the 1080p is better for watching video whilst the 2560 is way better for everything else.

The Dell is a 16:10 rather than a 16:9 hence the additional 120 lines, however, I think the point you missed is that the existing Samsung screen is part funding the new screen so presumably he is somewhat restricted to his existing supplier?

Unless you pay big bucks (£300 instead of £100-£150) at 24 inches you are pretty much gonna get a 1080p and TV or monitor, the only real difference at that price point is the connections and tuner, the screens will all be pretty similar.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/24-inches-...2286130-a.html

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/24-inches-...2118359-a.html

About £38 between the 2 and the TV in this case has a PLS panel rather than the TN of the monitor.

PLS is Samsungs "Sucessor" to IPS.
Old 31 December 2014, 09:36 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thankyou both for the advice

To summerise buying the 24" samsung LED TV monitor wouldnt be a bad choice as a second monitor for dual screen set up plus has the bonus of tv viewing

this wiuld be instead of buying the Acer model listed above and fitting a DVB tuner card to my PC if I want the functionality of tv viewing in the home office
Old 02 January 2015, 02:56 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Personally I wouldn't buy Samsung LED monitor,I've LED Monitor from Samsung,but quality is pretty poor,if you are editing photos then I would go with DELL as they have better reproduction of sRGB and have better gamut and mostly important fro me,proper reproduction of the black

My Samsung didn't come with DVI,only with VGA,in those years LED monitor only with VGA that's just poor,I've bought this and realized after I've opened and really sending back this to seller which hasn't been twice helpful etc and as he claimed this LED have DVI although on website hasn't been mentioned DVI at all

If you are editing photos then I would go with IPS and TN,I'm using old and still good DELL U2410 for editing and rendering and second monitor using as my extended desktop,really depends on yours budget

Thanks,Jura
Old 02 January 2015, 07:12 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Dell monitors are made by Samsung, Phillips and LG.

ie the U2412 recommended above is an LG

the 2407-2408 are Samsung

If a monitor has an HDMI port you can use a HDMI - DVI adaptor with no signal quality loss.

DVI and HDMI carry the same signal but HDMI can also carry audio (digital not analogue)
Old 02 January 2015, 07:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Galifrey
Dell monitors are made by Samsung, Phillips and LG.

ie the U2412 recommended above is an LG
Please be very cautious here.

Because a Samsung branded monitor Does Not mean it'll contain a Samsung panel either.

On lower end TN Samsung panels it can very likely be made by poorer quality panel manufacturers like Chi-mei (amongst others).

Because it says Samsung on the Bezel it doesn't mean it's Samsung underneath.

Everyone knows Dell doesn't make its own panels. Just don't go thinking Samsung=Samsung either.

That's not nessercerily a bad thing if the panel used is superior. But a chi mei panel definetly won't be.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 January 2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02 January 2015, 04:26 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Please be very cautious here.

Because a Samsung branded monitor Does Not mean it'll contain a Samsung panel either.

On lower end TN Samsung panels it can very likely be made by poorer quality panel manufacturers like Chi-mei (amongst others).

Because it says Samsung on the Bezel it doesn't mean it's Samsung underneath.

Everyone knows Dell doesn't make its own panels. Just don't go thinking Samsung=Samsung either.

That's not nessercerily a bad thing if the panel used is superior. But a chi mei panel definetly won't be.
Dell also use Chi-Mei panels, however, let's not speculate...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.p...4&select=model

A list of monitors and what panels they use