Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Floor standing speaker recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2014, 11:22 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Floor standing speaker recommendations

FAO the hifi enthusiasts
Just putting it out there to get opinions, recommendations etc.

I'm currently in the market to replace my old mission speakers (mates buying them)
So was pondering upgrade options.
There's quite a few out there with so many to choose from with all types of price range.

So my requirments are:
Room size approx 5x5mtr
Don't use a subwoofer, hence floorstander for the nice quality deep bass but not too boomy with quality sound.
Budget, under £500 if poss.

I've narrowed it down to a few, some maybe overkill for the size of room but I do like to get hyper and kill it now and then so want something capable but also good at the lower volume end.

The ones Im pondering over are-
Dali zensor 7
Jamo S 626
Focal chorus 714 V
Tannoy Mercury V4i
Tannoy revolution DC6T

Suggestions or experiences please.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 15 November 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 15 November 2014, 11:32 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be tannoy for me every time but im biased
Old 16 November 2014, 12:54 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Dali Zensor 7's, which are very detailed and would easily fill your 5x5 room with sound.

They make for really easy listening, you won't get tired of the sound even after hours and hours listening.

They are quite big though!
Old 16 November 2014, 01:04 AM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Kef or B&M. I know you haven't listed them but well worth a look at.

Last edited by scooblet; 16 November 2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 16 November 2014, 07:26 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My suggestion is up your budget to more like £1k and look at ex demo studio speakers, a mate of mine who is really into his Hi-fi got some £10k speakers for £3k by doing this a few years back, you do have to troll around a few shops though, which was no hassle for him as he loves it.
Old 16 November 2014, 08:48 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
It would be tannoy for me every time but im biased
The dc6t have very good reviews for such a compact set up. I wouldn't bother with the v4i

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
I have Dali Zensor 7's, which are very detailed and would easily fill your 5x5 room with sound.

They make for really easy listening, you won't get tired of the sound even after hours and hours listening.

They are quite big though!
I do like these, was just concerned that they would be slightly overkill, come in nice finishes too.

Originally Posted by scooblet
Kef or B&M. I know you haven't listed them but well worth a look at.
Kef just don't seem to have that deep bass unless you go separate subwoofer route, and b&w well, good speakers, but for my style and options, too expensive.
Old 16 November 2014, 08:53 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
My suggestion is up your budget to more like £1k and look at ex demo studio speakers, a mate of mine who is really into his Hi-fi got some £10k speakers for £3k by doing this a few years back, you do have to troll around a few shops though, which was no hassle for him as he loves it.
Funnily enough, the expensive speakers are more for design, box, metirial etc etc, with speakers you can charge what you want as some daft begger will pay it. Hell I seen some for 45k.

I read a review not so long ago, and the new mission mx something came out on top of all the others on market.
So it's not what you spend, it's finding out which will perform good without the silly price tags, although they all preform well enough.
Old 16 November 2014, 10:06 AM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

I had the focal chorus v n there very clinical n not very good for producing the low frequency if bass is you thing?
I have B&W dm 602.5 floor standing speakers which give excellent all round sound and go very deep in bass range but still controlled,
If u want more bass again n less of a budget try out the TDL RTL2 but they were too bass friendly for me.
Plus of course a decent amp to run them off will help
Old 16 November 2014, 10:18 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
I had the focal chorus v n there very clinical n not very good for producing the low frequency if bass is you thing?
I have B&W dm 602.5 floor standing speakers which give excellent all round sound and go very deep in bass range but still controlled,
If u want more bass again n less of a budget try out the TDL RTL2 but they were too bass friendly for me.
Plus of course a decent amp to run them off will help
Thanks, that's a bit comforting to know, I always thought the focal were like kef as in more sound and not enough of that low deep bass, but the size of the speaker made me curious.

I have a flagship yamaha ax2 which I'm very reluctant to get rid of and the sound quality is so good and can be adjusted to suit speakers. Only thing it's missing is HDMI which dosent bother me as I just hook it upto tv via optical.
Old 16 November 2014, 10:35 AM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

I have just changed my amp (audiolab 8000a) to a Yamaha av receiver it has lost a bit of the lower end sound but I'm planning on adding a rel quake subwoofer for movies and gaming,
Old 16 November 2014, 10:45 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I have just changed my amp (audiolab 8000a) to a Yamaha av receiver it has lost a bit of the lower end sound but I'm planning on adding a rel quake subwoofer for movies and gaming,
Very good subwoofer them, I've also found out that for a small compact sub, it's very hard to beat cambridge audio minx edition woofers (very capable little things)

My mate just bought a newish yamaha receiver after hearing mine, but it's still not as good sound wise. His has all the toys though.
Old 16 November 2014, 11:12 AM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Ye there's plenty of hdmi inputs plus 7.1 but it's the pass through and wifi that persuaded me to change
Old 16 November 2014, 11:34 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd add Mordaunt Short to your list of brands to check out.

I'm currently using their standmounts, but am so happy with them I'll be stepping up to their floorstanders when I move house.
Old 16 November 2014, 11:52 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I'd add Mordaunt Short to your list of brands to check out.

I'm currently using their standmounts, but am so happy with them I'll be stepping up to their floorstanders when I move house.
Aren't these way too boomy if you get what I mean, they won awards for the heavyweight apeal?
I'm wanting a mix of both, highest possible quality sound (which I don't think the MS are on top with this) with nice low deep bass without too much if you get my drift.

I want to try out the tannoy dc6t as these have very good reviews for both and test the dali zensor 5/7 to hear the quality.

The jamo look impressive too with a sub built into to the side, but ime jamo were back in the day bass kings so need to hear the quality.

Need to take a trip to richer sounds to test out.
Old 16 November 2014, 02:43 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Try audio t also I'd recommend the B&W 602.5 as they sound to me exactly wat ur after
Old 16 November 2014, 02:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Try audio t also I'd recommend the B&W 602.5 as they sound to me exactly wat ur after
Seen some 603s with an extra speaker that go for just over £200, problem is they look a bit dated. They will ptobably have todo me for another 15 years or so like my missions
Old 16 November 2014, 03:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Seen some 603s with an extra speaker that go for just over £200, problem is they look a bit dated. They will ptobably have todo me for another 15 years or so like my missions
Which is why I said up your budget a bit and have a scout round not just Hi-fi shops but instrument suppliers too as that's where my mate got his from, I forget what they are called but he's been into Hi-fi for 40yrs and there isn't much he doesn't know about it, he was running a Quad Hi-fi in the 80's when most people didn't know it existed and Tanoy Jupiters.
Old 16 November 2014, 05:07 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Which is why I said up your budget a bit and have a scout round not just Hi-fi shops but instrument suppliers too as that's where my mate got his from, I forget what they are called but he's been into Hi-fi for 40yrs and there isn't much he doesn't know about it, he was running a Quad Hi-fi in the 80's when most people didn't know it existed and Tanoy Jupiters.
I dont have time to be traveling shop to shop, im doing my research, finding the ones i like and maybe go richersounds one day, listen to the narrowed down ones, then shop online for best prices
Old 16 November 2014, 06:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If your happy to pay £500 I would look on eBay and get a used set of Kef reference speakers, I reckon £400 will get you a pair that were £2000 . I have a set myself and they are big heavy speaker but they are a premium setup
Old 16 November 2014, 07:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was happy with my wharfedales.

That was 1983 mind,twinned with massive Sony amp complete with cassette

Now I have another pair second hand. Mordaunt short bookcases
Old 16 November 2014, 07:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If your happy to pay £500 I would look on eBay and get a used set of Kef reference speakers, I reckon £400 will get you a pair that were £2000 . I have a set myself and they are big heavy speaker but they are a premium setup
I don't think kef are a contender when it comes to deep quality bass compared to others on the market.
Originally Posted by Xline
Tannoy Westminster Royal?
B&W Nautilus?
Kef Muon?
Linn Isobarik?

Yeah, well anyway ... if it's cheap bass you want with no Sub, how about Cerwin Vega?

EDIT: I am in the Kef Q camp, but I have a PSW2500 to compliment.
Thanks I'll look into them.
Old 16 November 2014, 07:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I would like to see a owner with the tannoy dc6t, can't belive nobody has these as they were a what hifi award winner.

Tbh it's between the dc6t and the dali zensor 5/7 atm

Q acoustics 2050 is now in my shortlist.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 16 November 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 16 November 2014, 07:40 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Don't forget whathifi get back handers from manufacturers to rate there products ;-)
Old 16 November 2014, 07:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Don't forget whathifi get back handers from manufacturers to rate there products ;-)
True, hence me wanting to try for myself once narrowed down. Tbh they've had nemerous awards, but I thinks it's more todo with the compact design and quality sound compared to the bigger rivals (probably doubt the bass would be what I'm after but they deserve a listen to rule out).
Old 16 November 2014, 08:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
I was happy with my wharfedales.

That was 1983 mind,twinned with massive Sony amp complete with cassette
That takes me back to 1980 when i bought a pair of Wharfdale Laser 60s plus a NAD 2020 amp - and i still had change from my student grant to buy the odd beer

All still going strong (unlike my hearing)!

mb
Old 17 November 2014, 01:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm folowing this thread with interest as I'm possibly looking at a set of floor standers for the new extension.

Seems things in the sub £500 market have dried up somewhat to many models being being glorified bookshelfers. By that I mean the maker not making full use of the cabinet volume and over-relying on tuned port renonators for the bass accopmanied by undersized bass drivers. Oh if only someone would do a proper folded horn enclosure.

Personally, I'm a KEF man. but KEF aren't what they used to be IMO. Lower end Tannoys- (i.e the Mercurys)I had issues with the tweeters being too harsh and for me would need reigning-in with a good EQ...the Revolution which has a coaxial tweeter/woofer is probably much better. Wharfedale always were a good bang for your buck, but their floorstander range in this price bracket is very limited - not as good VFM as they once were.

I'm currently tempted to buy some ex-demo B&W 684 in my local audiosnob store (who usually stock lots of blingy stuff that is very style over substance - IMO ) I also fancy trying out a set of Polk tsx330s - not heard much about them though.

I'm also trawling ebay for stuff...got my eye on something that could be a bargain if nobody bids. (i.e a few grands worth of speaker for a few hundred quid )

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 November 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 17 November 2014, 02:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh, word of warning: QAccoustics

and 2050i

Different speaker...about £200 differnce in price! Don't ask what other difference there is, but the "i" at the end must mean something.
Old 17 November 2014, 05:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oh, word of warning: QAccoustics

and 2050i

Different speaker...about £200 differnce in price! Don't ask what other difference there is, but the "i" at the end must mean something.
Yeah I've noticed that, it's the 'I' that's ive got my eyes on too. I'll have to divulge a bit deeper on them.

I do like the design of the dali zensors, I'd probably be ok with the 5 over the 7s just due to size but need to see and listen to both, they are 1 of the favourites of richer sounds floorstanders as they have quality components found in the higer end range.

Most of these expensive speakers are good but you can get budget ones that preform better in some cases, as said before you are paying for the fancy metirial and design and maybe RCM tax as they call it on here
Old 17 November 2014, 08:24 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Kilspch have some decent reviews
Old 17 November 2014, 09:32 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick Reply: Floor standing speaker recommendations