Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

advice on ipod etc

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2014, 09:29 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default advice on ipod etc

im a bit of a caveman when it comes to technology and i need to bring myself up to date as i dont like carting loads of cd's around in my car

i have a cheap basic headunit

this one

JVC KD-PDR41: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics JVC KD-PDR41: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

i dont have an ipod or an mp3 player but the headunit can play both so which would be better to use?

i have an ipad if that helps with an ipod

the next problem i have is the laptop i use was given to us in a will BUT we dont know the password to it so we cant access anything really as we login as a guest

if i bought an ipod would i need to pay for music? im asking as i have a vast vast collection of cd's so i already have all my music just on the wrong format

any help guys
Old 15 November 2014, 09:57 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get rid of the password with a few handy tools available for download online if you feel up to the task.

You wouldn't have to pay for music on the iPod you can load it on, just make sure you get one big enough for the amount of music / storage you want.

You could use the iPad but it's a bit on the big side tbh imho.

Or you could use the mp3 function on the radio and create mp3 discs with a few albums on to help reduce the amount of discs in the car.

Few options really
Old 15 November 2014, 10:23 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
You can get rid of the password with a few handy tools available for download online if you feel up to the task.

You wouldn't have to pay for music on the iPod you can load it on, just make sure you get one big enough for the amount of music / storage you want.

You could use the iPad but it's a bit on the big side tbh imho.

Or you could use the mp3 function on the radio and create mp3 discs with a few albums on to help reduce the amount of discs in the car.

Few options really
Cheers

I'm swaying towards the i pod idea, would I have to pay to put albums on there that I haven't got? If so how much? Also how many songs equates to say 8gb?
Old 15 November 2014, 10:27 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You caveman!!!!

8gb will get up between 1000 and 2000 tracks depending on quality.

You don't have to pay to upload songs into your iPad.....of course downloading from iTunes will cost u....or you can find albums for free online if you prefer

Last edited by mrtheedge2u2; 15 November 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 15 November 2014, 10:34 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

When you say albums you haven't got do you mean on the device? Or you haven't got the album anywhere?

You could pay to put the album on through iTunes or you could say download a copy on the laptop and then transfer it over on to the iPod through I tunes.

You just have to put what ever music you want on the device in to I tunes for it to be added, you can't drag and drop like you would say a USB device.

As said above 8gb would be between those numbers dependant on quality and file size.
Old 15 November 2014, 10:44 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
When you say albums you haven't got do you mean on the device? Or you haven't got the album anywhere?

You could pay to put the album on through iTunes or you could say download a copy on the laptop and then transfer it over on to the iPod through I tunes.

You just have to put what ever music you want on the device in to I tunes for it to be added, you can't drag and drop like you would say a USB device.

As said above 8gb would be between those numbers dependant on quality and file size.
I mean like new release albums and ones I haven't purchased yet.also my taste in music may halt it somewhat............I listen to mainly death metal/thrash metal - is this style of music on iTunes?
Old 15 November 2014, 10:46 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
You caveman!!!!

8gb will get up between 1000 and 2000 tracks depending on quality.

You don't have to pay to upload songs into your iPad.....of course downloading from iTunes will cost u....or you can find albums for free online if you prefer
Yeah I really am a caveman

My skills with technology go like this......

Turn on
Ebay
Turn off...........
Old 15 November 2014, 10:51 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I mean like new release albums and ones I haven't purchased yet.also my taste in music may halt it somewhat............I listen to mainly death metal/thrash metal - is this style of music on iTunes?
Legion of the Damned fan?
Old 15 November 2014, 10:53 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Yeah I really am a caveman

My skills with technology go like this......

Turn on
Ebay
Turn off...........
In all fairness.....when you have your iPod it will all become self evident. Sound quality with Apple leaves a lot to be desired but it is easy to use.
Old 15 November 2014, 10:56 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Legion of the Damned fan?
Yes along with cannibal corpse, deicide etc
Old 15 November 2014, 10:59 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

My mate, Hein, is the live guitarist with LOTD.

Not really my thing but still enjoyable to watch live
Old 15 November 2014, 11:09 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

My mate, Hein, is the live guitarist with LOTD.

Not really my thing but still enjoyable to watch live
Aahh cool
Old 16 November 2014, 03:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What format is your existing music in? presuming it's not mp3 / mp4 from what you have said? You could use something to re-encode the music, rather than re-rip it from the CDs, though this could result in a loss of quality.

You could use the iPad as an iPod, but as said by others, it's little big to use just for media playback in the car.

As for getting music onto the iPad, iTunes would possibly be the most simple method. You would need to add the music into iTunes' Library. I'd give that a shot with one of the tracks and see what it does. I say this as it might allow you to convert the music from whatever format it is in to mp4 format, which the iPad will play. Cannot remember if it does do that though, been a while since I tried anything like that.

It looks like the head unit has a USB port on it, so you could also consider a USB memory stick, whack the files directly onto it, and plug the device in there. A 32GB memory stick would likely hold a fair bit of music. More than a 32 GB iPad, as there would be the overhead of space on the iPad being eaten up by the OS itself, so even a completely empty iPad isn't going to have a full 32GB, whereas a memory stick would have.
Old 16 November 2014, 04:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
What format is your existing music in? presuming it's not mp3 / mp4 from what you have said? You could use something to re-encode the music, rather than re-rip it from the CDs, though this could result in a loss of quality.

You could use the iPad as an iPod, but as said by others, it's little big to use just for media playback in the car.

As for getting music onto the iPad, iTunes would possibly be the most simple method. You would need to add the music into iTunes' Library. I'd give that a shot with one of the tracks and see what it does. I say this as it might allow you to convert the music from whatever format it is in to mp4 format, which the iPad will play. Cannot remember if it does do that though, been a while since I tried anything like that.

It looks like the head unit has a USB port on it, so you could also consider a USB memory stick, whack the files directly onto it, and plug the device in there. A 32GB memory stick would likely hold a fair bit of music. More than a 32 GB iPad, as there would be the overhead of space on the iPad being eaten up by the OS itself, so even a completely empty iPad isn't going to have a full 32GB, whereas a memory stick would have.
cheers mate,think i will get an ipod nano and upload my cd's to my mates computer then to my ipod

really need to get my laptop sorted but hey-ho