Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iCloud Hacked? - The Fappening?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2014, 01:12 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iCloud Hacked? - The Fappening?

Did all these leaked pics really come from icloud?

The vids are all .mov format which tends to indicate they were filmed on idevices.

If so it is a serious breach of security and confirms my fears about cloud storage in general.
Old 03 September 2014, 07:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to Apple, no. It's down to users being fools.
Old 03 September 2014, 07:57 AM
bigtel
Scooby Regular

Seems a bit fishy to me that the film 'Sex Tape' comes out this week about the cloud!
Old 03 September 2014, 11:45 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I fear mine's been hacked as well. So far, nobody has asked me about any sex tapes! I wonder why not?
Old 03 September 2014, 04:23 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
According to Apple, no. It's down to users being fools.
I have no doubt it was down to poor passwords etc, however, the question was did they all come from iCloud.

I really don't like the idea of Cloud storage from any provider so not anti Apple on this. Putting all my files in the hands of a 3rd party is just asking for trouble imho.
Old 04 September 2014, 02:40 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There was, fairly recently, a very large number - 1.2b - of passwords grabbed by some Russian hackers (have a read here.)

Earlier this week the domain hosting firm namecheap apparently saw a massive increase in attacks and they believe it could be as a result of the same hackers using the cache of passwords they stole (more info here)

I would not be at all shocked if the celeb picture thing is also related to this, the timing does seem very coincidental.

As for wether iCloud was breached, Apple says no, which of course they would, but they did admit that Find My iPhone (fairly sure it was that) wasn't disabling accounts after five invalid access attempts, something they have changed.

I suspect that there isn't a breach per-se, more like brute force on many accounts using this massive password list, and those accounts likely had weak passwords and / or did not have two factor authentication enabled.

I also think that if the files did come from iCloud, it's likely the celebs thought the pictures had been deleted, when in fact they had not, for example, they deleted the pictures from the phone, but did not realize they had been synced to their iCloud account, and so were still there, just not on the phone.
It has been said that the instructions on how iCloud works, what is stored where and when, and how to really delete items from devices and your iCloud account are somewhat vague or not intuitive, so some better documentation wouldn't go amiss.
Old 05 September 2014, 11:07 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Markus

I also think that if the files did come from iCloud, it's likely the celebs thought the pictures had been deleted, when in fact they had not, for example, they deleted the pictures from the phone, but did not realize they had been synced to their iCloud account, and so were still there, just not on the phone.

It has been said that the instructions on how iCloud works, what is stored where and when, and how to really delete items from devices and your iCloud account are somewhat vague or not intuitive, so some better documentation wouldn't go amiss.
^^^ This ^^^^

One of the reasons I steer clear of Apple is the ambiguity about what ends up where. Seems that the default is to back it up on the cloud, which results in things being placed remotely that one might not want remotely.

As for the password thing, people often don't help themselves by creating a sufficiently secure password or engaging in practices that undermine their security. However, lets face it: If someone wants to get into your account badly enough; they'll do it! I think the real solution is don't put anything on-line that you wouldn't want shared! The onus is now on companies like Apple to assist customers in making informed choices in this respect.

Ns04

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2014, 04:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a common misconception.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OcpoC3O.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	74333
Old 07 September 2014, 12:08 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Same on Android too:

https://i.imgur.com/FtgxjFK.png

This is likely to be a combination of targeted "hacking" and poor user security.

I reckon there's a good living to be had in giving celebrities personal security lessons.

Last edited by Beef; 07 September 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07 September 2014, 03:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If you really want to target someone, it's all too simple. The last couple of years have been positive with widespread adoption of https and to a lesser degree two-factor authentication.

Who remembers Firesheep? Those were shocking times.