Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ditching android

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2014, 10:04 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ditching android

Well after a honeymoon period and owning

Sony z2 tablet and phone
Samsung s4

I will be selling the tablet, and going back to iPads, the phones I have to keep as they are works, but I've tried to like it but it just doesn't cut it for me..

I've come from an apple world and was expecting a likewise environment but no, I tried many apps for locations bases services finding my way when stuck in Spain in streets I didn't know, geocaching apps, but none were are red hot and as fluid as what the iPhone apps were.

Geocaching app was ****e no real time stuff just pointed to where it was, apples guise u to it live.

Movies on the android were good but that was down do Sonys good screen,
Sound on the android was poor volume wasn't very good on any of the devices, ok it works but not like apples, was never loud enough on both headphones and speakers apples just worked.

Side loading was ok but I only really did one thing, xbmc

Sorry but android isn't for me, I tried but poor in relation if you just need to use your phone for an activity. Games were ok
Old 24 August 2014, 10:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I keep trying it, but it's frustrating and ugly. If iOS users want to see how shoddy Android really is try running Google Maps after using Apple maps, that's how all apps are... a bit ****.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:36 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah this was my final straw too, I was lost in Spain in a city, and needed the bus station to drop my son off, then I had to find a restraunt where we were meeting a couple for a meal.

The iphone in real time guided me to both... Perfect

Android was terrible....

Roll on the new ipad this is where my money's going... We got any info on the pad yet?
Old 24 August 2014, 11:10 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it's not just me. I made the move from an iPhone to a htc one and I just don't get Androd. It's not bad but it's nowhere near as good as the fandroids would like you to believe. Combine that with the fact it really doesn't play well with Apple stuff and I'll be heading back to the iPhone come upgrade time.
Old 25 August 2014, 12:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use both android and IOS and both have their uses and better features. The Ipad is far superior to an android tablet well my Air is but I prefer android phones to IOS and I have a 64gig ipod touch if I want the phone games or music on the go
Old 25 August 2014, 01:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some feel scared once the door is the thrown open, just can't cope with freedom.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:35 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I use both android and IOS and both have their uses and better features. The Ipad is far superior to an android tablet well my Air is but I prefer android phones to IOS and I have a 64gig ipod touch if I want the phone games or music on the go
Completely agree. Love my iPad, but much prefer my Nexus 5 to my work iPhone.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:46 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I agree on the whole about the mobile phones being better on Android, they are less restricted which gives you the ability to do more.

The only trouble is that not all Android devices operate the same, I recently bought a Pioneer head unit for my car and fully expected (incorrectly as it happens) full functionality. Now I'm left with either having to root the handset and run hacked software to get what I expected or revert back to iOS.

At this point I'm waiting to see how the iPhone 6 shapes up, if it appears to be as expected then I think the S5 will be ditched in favour of reduced functionality but at least with a standardised platform 'hopefully' everything should work first and every time.

Does anyone have any semi reliable links to iPhone 6 information rather than speculation and rumour?
Old 25 August 2014, 02:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Extra freedom, not really, in your second breath you talk about rooting your android phone, I could jailbreak, no real difference.
Old 25 August 2014, 03:00 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Extra freedom, not really, in your second breath you talk about rooting your android phone, I could jailbreak, no real difference.
What I was referring to by less restricted was that Apple tend to want you to operate your handset to their system, whereas Google allow all kinds of third party developers to modify or even wholly replace functions such as SMS or even call handling.

There are plus points to both operating systems, at this point I'd prefer something that does what it should when it should.

Plus when something is shown as being compatible that it works rather than having to *******ise the OS and run hacked software to make it do what it should 'out of the tin'.
Old 25 August 2014, 05:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Why wouldn't you use native app anyway for navigation - especially if you're essentially forced to
Android ( 3 year old android) voice turn by turn has bee brill as far as I'm concerned, Havnt the used tomtom in years
Old 25 August 2014, 07:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I have a 2nd gen ipod touch I keep music on for the car and I need to jailbreak that as it was restored and no apps apart from doodle jump support it. I need to jailbreak it so I can add some old apps onto it otherwise its justa 16gig music player
Old 25 August 2014, 07:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Why wouldn't you use native app anyway for navigation - especially if you're essentially forced to
Android ( 3 year old android) voice turn by turn has bee brill as far as I'm concerned, Havnt the used tomtom in years

Google maps android or IOS its all I have used for years
Old 26 August 2014, 09:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You should definitely try Apple maps for navigation, way easier to follow which is kind of handy.
Old 26 August 2014, 11:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...google-1261188

I think this explains it well.

Me, I'm not keen on falling off a cliff/driving into a lake etc
Old 26 August 2014, 01:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've just left android and bought an iphone, i never wanted one as everyone had one and i like to be different, but you have so much more control over your apps, unlike android your helpless apps have control over you, so far had the phone for a few weeks and really liking its
Old 26 August 2014, 01:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

For nav my TomTom Pisses all over both,,,,,, lol
Old 26 August 2014, 03:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I've just left android and bought an iphone, i never wanted one as everyone had one and i like to be different, but you have so much more control over your apps, unlike android your helpless apps have control over you, so far had the phone for a few weeks and really liking its
I was horrified to learn your iphone will turn on your data, automatically, for this new beacon shop advertising as you pass a shop
Old 26 August 2014, 06:20 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
For nav my TomTom Pisses all over both,,,,,, lol
you do know apple maps is associated with tomtom yeah?
Old 26 August 2014, 06:27 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

for nav, Nav-free or tomtom apps on either os
Old 26 August 2014, 06:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
I was horrified to learn your iphone will turn on your data, automatically, for this new beacon shop advertising as you pass a shop
What??
Old 27 August 2014, 02:53 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Does anyone have any semi reliable links to iPhone 6 information rather than speculation and rumour?
Anyone who does know will not be talking about it.

Apple is extremely secretive about this stuff, moreso for their new product lines which are being worked on. Put it this way, even internally, some of the projects have a cover story about what the team are working on, and they aren't allowed to discuss the cover story, let alone what is actually being worked on! Secrets within secrets.

I'm actually very interested to see what is revealed on the 9th, as I suspect there is actually going to be a little bit of surprise in there, expect the unexpected as it were.

Going on last years leaks for the 5S a lot of the rumours / pictures were pretty spot on. There has been some interesting info from John Gruber, detailing how the alleged new sized iPhones could work, by that I mean actual possible screen resolutions - which is how you really tell what's happening, not just saying it's X inches, that means sod all without the resolution info.

I think there will be a 4.7 and 5.5 sized iPhone 6 (wether both are named that I cannot say for sure, could be iPhone Air for all we know - or they could, as they did with 4th Gen iPad, just go back to calling it iPhone)

A8, M7 / M8, some additional new sensors to take into account the healthkit / health app (though the sensors could be in a fitbit type device that will be announced, as a companion to the iPhones - Apple did grab some Nike Fuel people when it got shuttered a couple of months ago and they have been grabbing similar types of people for a while), upgraded camera, updated Touch ID, and hopefully 128GB model as well.
Old 27 August 2014, 05:13 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I hope they do away with the 16gb model
Old 27 August 2014, 07:50 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
you do know apple maps is associated with tomtom yeah?
never driven me into the middle of a lake or to my death in the baking heat
Old 27 August 2014, 08:14 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

It's the ipad I'm more interested in my ipad 2 is starting to chug it's time for an upgrade
Old 27 August 2014, 09:05 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They certainly splashed out trying to lure people away from their garmins

- The usual sheep fell for it I spect
Old 27 August 2014, 11:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Littleted
It's the ipad I'm more interested in my ipad 2 is starting to chug it's time for an upgrade
Mine too, just with some apps, it's had a good innings though.
Old 27 August 2014, 11:35 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Garmin were ****e . There's only one decent brand and that's tomtom