Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

networking?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 07:57 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi i am at a uni at the moment and wondered if i can network my laptop to the network. if so how? i have windows ME
Old 29 May 2002, 08:10 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

depends - any self respecting uni would say no (as my one says no) - but there are ways around this...

depends if the uni are using DHCP or Static IP addresses?

if it's DHCP'ed - connect to a network point (1 easy way is to disconnect one of the other machines and use that connection), and see if you can get a lease. If you can't you might need to get a hostname (e.g. the machine name that you borrowed the connection off) to get a lease, otherwise it might only give out ip addresses based on nic MAC address... therefore u might be stuffed (unless you find out what the IP info - that the DHCP server had given - of the machine you borrowed the cat5 connection off was and put that in your laptop as static IP info.)

If its static IP nick the IP information from the PC you borrowed the network connection off (go into dos shell "cmd" and type "ipconfig /all") and put that info on your laptop.

remember you will need DNS and gateway IP address to talk out (for web browsing etc) and to log on to the network servers you might need to install a NT or Novell Client login (again get the settings from another machine in the same room )

snow.
Old 29 May 2002, 08:19 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i have no clue, really on what to do, i placed the cable in and well don't know what else to do! help needed still!
Old 30 May 2002, 12:04 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

dunno what level of PC knowledge you got, but here's a step-by-step...

you got a network card installed and working? then check if you got the protocol installed, like TCP/IP, IPX, SPX, NetBEUI? most likely will be TCP/IP. to install it, goto start/control panel/network and add TCP/IP in protocol.

probably need a reboot. once reboot, goto start/run and type winipcfg. a window will pop-up and check that you got an IP address.

it all depends on what you wanna do to connect to the uni networks. it might need you to login, etc. therefore you need to install the network client.

do the above and see how far you get on.
Old 30 May 2002, 12:13 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

If you dont understand the reply from snowcrash and suba, give up.