Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 4 to PC Connection Problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2014, 12:09 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPhone 4 to PC Connection Problems

My iPhone seems to have stopped talking to my PC for downloading photos. any ideas?

I go through the usual folders, My Computer - Apple Iphone, the Trust This Computer message comes up on the phone screen, I tap Trust, and the connection drops out

At first I thought it was an issue with my crappy laptop's USB connections, but it also happens with my home and work PCs. The home PC has itunes installed, the other two do not.

I installed what appears to be the latest update to iOS7 - 7.1.1, onto my phone a couple of weeks ago, and this issue has appeared since then.

Any ideas?
Old 16 May 2014, 01:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Possibly a silly question, but is the USB cable you are using an official Apple one? I don't think it matters with non lightning cables (iPhone 4 uses the old 30 pin dock connection type of cable) but thought I'd check.

Just to clarify, this is happening on the machine with iTunes on it? If it is, check if iTunes is the latest version, and if not, upgrade it and then see if it works.

What version(s) of Windows are you running, not recently updated that side of things have you?

I'd have a look at this, specifically the bits about Apple Mobile Support. Could be worth restarting the service, or even removing and reinstalling it.

Might be worth reinstalling / installing iTunes (you don't have to use it to sync things, just have it installed), have a read of this

Last edited by Markus; 16 May 2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06 June 2014, 03:16 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus, sorry for the delay answering your questions, things have been a bit hectic at this end.

Yes the USB cable is the one that came with the phone

This is happening on all three computers, the one with itunes and the two without. The version of itunes is the latest

All three PCs currently have Windows XP, I was still able to transfer photos after the last automatic update they all did.
Old 06 June 2014, 04:53 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Try this

Right-click the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu.
Click "Browse my computer for driver software."
Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
Click the Have Disk button. (If the Have Disk option is not present, choose a device category such as Mobile Phone or Storage Device if listed, and click next. The Have Disk button should then appear.)
In the "Install from Disk" dialog, click the Browse button.
Use this window to navigate to the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
Double-click the "usbaapl" file. (This file will be called "usbaapl64" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows. If you don't see "usbaapl64" here, or if there is no Drivers folder, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. instead).
Click OK in the "Install from Disk" dialog.
Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps. Open iTunes to verify that the device is recognized properly.
Like (123)