Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Remote access to a device on my home network - how?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2014, 11:14 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote access to a device on my home network - how?

I'm using a TP LINK WR1043ND router at home and have a list of devices which are connected to it.

I want to be able to connect to one of the devices (a CyberQ BBQ Guru Wifi)from away from home. I know the device's IP address is 192.168.1.103 and I also have it's MAC address.

I have obtained my ISP assigned IP address (which I'm not posting ).

I'm guessing that I have to do some form of forwarding. My options are
- Virtual Servers
- Port Forwarding
- DMZ
- UPnP

Now, the instructions for the router doesn't actually explain which options are for what functions. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's the router instructions:
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/doc...User_Guide.pdf

Here's the device instructions:
http://www.thebbqguru.com/PDF/CyberQ...USER-GUIDE.pdf

An idiots guide would be appreciated if there is anybody out there that understands this stuff.
Old 13 May 2014, 11:23 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help with that device specifically, but you need to use port forwarding.

The router will often have a list of services or ports you can select from but you will likely need to find the option to add one for this device.

Basically, you tell the router to forward a particular service to the internal IP address of the device.

Best example I can give you is when you remote desktop onto a PC. I can remote desktop to my home PC from anywhere externally. Remote Desktop (RDP) uses port 3389 so if my PC was on the address 192.168.1.10 internally, I would configure the router to forward port 3389 to 192.168.1.10. From an external device I would just open up RDP and type in my home network's external IP address and it would put me right through.

Sorry if I have rambled a bit there. I'm knackered!

Say this device uses port 12345, you would add a service, call it BBQ for instance, and tell it to forward 12345 to the device's internal IP address.

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 13 May 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 13 May 2014, 11:35 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

wifi bbq, that's bonkers

yup port forwarding, also if the CyberQ WiFi gets it's ip via dhcp then you should reserve the ip for the MAC of yer CyberQ WiFi on the router

willing to help you via phone call, if need be, PM me
Old 13 May 2014, 11:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wifi BBQ is the future! It means that I can leave the think cooking and (I'll be able to) monitor the temperature from anywhere with an internet connection. I'll be able to turn the temperature up, down, see if it needs more charcoal, more water or if the foods done.

So far I've set the router to always give 192.168.1.103 to the CyberQ and removed all other things I've tried as I'm too tired to stare at it any longer!
Old 14 May 2014, 01:28 PM
JuergenG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'm using a TP LINK WR1043ND router at home and have a list of devices which are connected to it.

I want to be able to connect to one of the devices (a CyberQ BBQ Guru Wifi)from away from home. I know the device's IP address is 192.168.1.103 and I also have it's MAC address.

I have obtained my ISP assigned IP address (which I'm not posting ).

I'm guessing that I have to do some form of forwarding. My options are
- Virtual Servers
- Port Forwarding
- DMZ
- UPnP

Now, the instructions for the router doesn't actually explain which options are for what functions. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's the router instructions:
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/doc...User_Guide.pdf

Here's the device instructions:
http://www.thebbqguru.com/PDF/CyberQ...USER-GUIDE.pdf

An idiots guide would be appreciated if there is anybody out there that understands this stuff.
Now that's fun stuff. Your CyberQ is using an internal webserver, so for the forwarding the default port you're looking for is 80 (although you should change this, since portscans from various "sources" are looking specifically for this one). What you want is actually described in the manual of the CyberQ in section "11.3 Enable port forwarding on your router that it will point to the CyberQ WiFi".
Have fun
Old 28 May 2014, 05:44 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

lol BBQ Wifi, dam everything is accessable now,

anyway as above you need to do port forwarding:

http://www.pcwintech.com/port-forwar...-link-firmware

once your have set that up on your PC if you go to whatismyipaddress.com

and then use xx:xx:xx:xx:#portnumber that should gain you access
so it will look like http://88.112.1.222:2229

looks like quite a few of us as IT contractors on here, funny enough a lot of the mappers seem to have come from IT backgrounds

Last edited by XDevil666; 28 May 2014 at 05:46 PM.