Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Maximum Devices On One iTunes Account?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2014, 11:13 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum Devices On One iTunes Account?

Does anyone know the maximum number of devices that can be used simultaneously on a single iTunes account?

I will need 18 iPads using a single shared account, using apps only, not music. Is this possible? Or is it best to create multiple accounts? I really don't want to have to create 18 If it's a max of 10 devices it won't be so painful.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:17 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

5 iirc
Old 20 March 2014, 11:43 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

yep 5 Authorised devises
Old 20 March 2014, 02:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You are limited to 5 devices authorized to a specific computer using a specific Apple ID, ie; you plug the device in, you use iTunes to sync items to that device, including applications.

However, if you have an Apple ID and simply sign into the App Store on the device, and then download apps on the device then you are not using iTunes and so won't hit that problem (by this I mean that as you're doing it all on device, iTunes isn't getting in the way. If you were to connect to iTunes, the limit does still apply)

I have 14 active devices using a shared Apple ID, primarily for the above reason and I've never had a problem. If I try and use iTunes, yeah, I'll have a problem due to the aforementioned 5 device authorization issue.

I have a total of around 20 devices that are also signed in to a single Apple ID for the purposes of using "Find my iPhone". These are shared devices and if someone decides to borrow one without signing it out, I'll remote lock it.

Last edited by Markus; 20 March 2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:31 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks all. Aha, yes Markus, I don't need iTunes as everything will be downloaded direct to the device from the store, so just all logged into the same Apple ID. Sounds like I'll be able to achieve that.

These too will be shared devices, for use as a marketing tool only, not for day-to-day business or personal use.

Is there anything I'll need to disable to prevent someone trying to connect it to iTunes and messing it up? Any other restrictions I can impose would be useful too.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 20 March 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:16 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

we have 20 odd I pads on our one id, all used for business but have been told iTunes is a no go .. but tbh I don't think anyone is interested in iTunes on it as they all have differing mobile devices.. find my ipad can be sooooo much fun though
Old 23 March 2014, 12:42 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is any way to prevent anyone connecting it to iTunes. If you want to lock down certain aspects of the device, have a look at Apple Configuration Utility (Mac only), it does allow you to disable / lock certain things out. Could be handy.
Old 23 March 2014, 01:16 AM
night_51
Scooby Regular

I've got my 4s, my iPad 2, and my sons iPod touch on my account.
Old 23 March 2014, 08:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It has to be more than 5 as I have about 7 or 8 on mine now, the only problem I have is icloud storage
Old 23 March 2014, 09:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
It has to be more than 5 as I have about 7 or 8 on mine now, the only problem I have is icloud storage
No, it is still 5. From what I recall, it's 5 computers against which you can authorize a single Apple ID. It does not, as I perhaps erroneously stated, limit the number of *devices* you can sync via iTunes.

So if you happen to have the same Apple ID signed in on 5 computers, and you try and sync via a 6th computer, it will fail as you cannot authorize the 6th machine.

If you have 10 iPad's and a single computer, and you try to sync from iTunes then that IS ok and WILL work, as you are not authorizing another machine.

I got hit at work by the limit on Friday, as I forgot I'd switch computers and forgot to deauthorize the old machine. There is an option to deahtorize all computers, but I've got to wait until 6th April before I can use that (you can only deauthorize all computers once every year).