Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is it just me who is a bit underwhelmed by the next generation consoles?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2014, 04:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me who is a bit underwhelmed by the next generation consoles?

Thought about it today (dangerous I know) and it occurred to me that for my preferred choice of console (xbox) we're now 5 months in and:

1) There isn't much in terms of games that offer a compelling reason to splash out on it! Seems like only Forza five comes close to be an essential purchase that plays as nicely as it looks and even that has been widely acknowledged as being dissappointing in terms of it's size.

2) Where is the console defining game/franchise?? Titan fall is about as close as it comes, but that has no single player campaign and is hardly groundbreaking in any respect.

It's often the case that the software support for new consoles isn't particularly extensive, but I don't recall the pickings ever being this slim or taking this long to get going?

I'm sure it will improve significantly in the not to distant future, but until then, I think I'm sticking with my 360!

Is the situation with the PS4 any better?
Old 19 March 2014, 04:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I got the xbox one and the games are a slight improvement but I find the dashboard bloody annoying.
Titan fall is good but its the software that makes the consoles.
Played on a ps4 and its the same.
Old 19 March 2014, 04:41 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

No, you're not alone.

I honestly wonder why anyone would buy *any* of the 'next gen' consoles - the game range is very limited, what games are out are expensive, you have to pay to use them online, and the graphical quality is at best 'meh' and more often 'poor'.

Unlike when the last generation were released, you can buy a PC for barely more than the cost of either console that will comfortably outperform them in all areas, and can still be used as a general home-use PC. For the amount that you could spend on both consoles you can buy an absolute monster of a PC that won't need upgrades for years and will achieve graphical heights either console can't ever hope to come near.

Building a PC is simple, and you can easily connect it up to your TV and use a controller if you want to keep the 'in the living room' feeling; it's exactly what I do, and is why I've enjoyed 1080p and 60fps at max or near-max details for Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Arkham City/Origins, etc etc.

Steam Big Picture mode makes navigating with a controller simple, and for added bonus you can now stream from a main gaming machine to a 'lesser' system elsewhere in the house; I often play Civ V on my integrated graphics laptop in bed at full resolution and detail settings cranked to maximum.

That's before you take into account that even a brand-new a new PC is capable of playing any PC game ever released, even ones you already own. Some older ones do require work to get running, true, but even then services like GOG.com have taken a lot of the pain out of that for you; me, I'm playing through Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper on that integrated graphics laptop I mentioned.
Old 19 March 2014, 04:44 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Only one of the three new consoles I want is the Nintendo Wii U to play the new Mario games.

But taking a step back, they're all pretty much of a muchness along with most modern games. So I can't really justify blowing £300-odd to do that.

I see no need to upgrade from my Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. Even then a fair bit of time I'm playing a game on virtual console or emulation via live arcade etc etc.
Old 19 March 2014, 08:59 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's all about the games we can certainly agree.

At the moment it makes no sense to upgrade to the PS4 or XBO, unless you really want to play the exclusives. You're paying for the priviledge being an early adopter and software on both consoles is weak. IMO, until major players stop producing games for the PS3 and 360 or really focus on the PS4 & XBO, the time to upgrade will not be worth it at the moment.

But... we need to be realistic. Both of these consoles have only been out a four months, so we shouldn't expect a great deal at this stage and in reality this is no different to previous launches of consoles. What is different is the HUUUUGE community still playing and buying for the 360 and PS3 - that's going to be the biggest issue.

Look at this generation as being a slow burn.

Beef,
Call yourself a PC gamer and playing at a paltry 1080p... you need to seriously upgrade your life!

So you wonder why anyone would buy any of the 'next gen' consoles, yet you state that "Building a PC is simple"!? Mmm... that lack of reality logic makes total sense to me. You need to remove that PC out of your ****, as it's blocking the blood flow to your vital organs.
Old 20 March 2014, 10:05 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

No need to upgrade - I've been at 1600p for years. I was simply referring to the 'living room experience' - if we're comparing like-for-like, the next gen consoles are only 1080p, and truthfully can't even manage that all the time.

Building a PC is simple - there are multiple youtube guides on how to do this, and it's basically adult Lego. Anyone capable of performing an oil and filter change on a car is capable of building a PC. An example guide video is here:

Even if that's too much, you can get pre-built machines for a small premium; don't go for the brand name of Alienware and get ripped off though, get a local store to build it for you to your specifications.

PC gaming is easy to take up, costs less, and provides a machine more useful. What's not to like?!
Old 20 March 2014, 02:54 PM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

I bought a PS4, put my PS3 up for sale in advance, played the games available on PS4 all pretty poor tbh, so I took the PS3 off ebay and thats all I use. I should pull my finger out really and list the PS4 - it's ****e.
Old 20 March 2014, 03:45 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have them all and I still play on the PS3

Titanfall has me hooked at the moment that is a very good game, and I,ll nip out tomorrow for Secondson on Ps4

But yeah seems a bit so so at the moment, looking forward to FFX X on Vita tomorrow, that should grind a few Hours away.
Old 20 March 2014, 03:58 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
No need to upgrade - I've been at 1600p for years. I was simply referring to the 'living room experience' - if we're comparing like-for-like, the next gen consoles are only 1080p, and truthfully can't even manage that all the time.

Building a PC is simple - there are multiple youtube guides on how to do this, and it's basically adult Lego. Anyone capable of performing an oil and filter change on a car is capable of building a PC. An example guide video is here: http://youtu.be/d_56kyib-Ls

Even if that's too much, you can get pre-built machines for a small premium; don't go for the brand name of Alienware and get ripped off though, get a local store to build it for you to your specifications.

PC gaming is easy to take up, costs less, and provides a machine more useful. What's not to like?!
Definitely worth building yourself - its dead easy, just pick your components wisely. Can get very expensive tho (it ended up costing me more than my car..) but depends what you want it for. But for the love of god DO NOT go with Alienware...

I built my pc last year using X79 - its a heavily overclocked 3930k @ 5.2ghz - used a 1/4hp water chiller to keep water temps under 40c while stress testing

The games being released on the PS4 and Xbox one wont be utilising the capabilities of the consoles. It will take time for the programmers to catch up - just look at the first games released on the PS3, and look at some of the recent examples - GT6, GTA V etc

Last edited by CutMasterT; 20 March 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:34 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CutMasterT
I built my pc last year using X79 - its a heavily overclocked 3930k @ 5.2ghz - used a 1/4hp water chiller to keep water temps under 40c while stress testing
In case anyone else is wondering, while it's all well and good doing such things in an enthusiast PC, it is a massive overkill for gaming; a far cheaper i5 will do the job just fine.

This is one of the most common issues when it comes to PC gaming - enthusiasts bang on about overclocking, watercooling and expensive very-high-end components, and the uninitiated thinks that represents all gaming PCs, and that a gaming PC has to be very expensive to perform well.

It doesn't.

A 'good' gaming PC can built for £600 or so, and by 'good' this would be something that can run BF4 on Ultra at 1080p and 60fps. Beyond that is when you're either trying for very high framerates (120FPS+), very high resolution (1440p+), very intensive mods (Skyrim ENBs), or all three.

A car-based analogy would be:

Fiesta/Corsa: PS4/XB1
Scooby/Evo: 'Normal' gaming PC
GTR/911: 'Enthusiast' gaming PC

Don't stretch the analogy too far though, as unlike the Fiesta/Corsa, you can't modify the PS4/XB1 to make it perform better (PCs you can modify all you like...).

What it does do is get across the message that the performance from a 'normal' PC is leagues ahead of what you might expect from a console, and would represent a significant step up in all areas for just about any driver/player. The next step to high-end enthusiast PCs however is much more of a 'diminishing return', and you would have to have reached a quite high level in order to reasonably justify the extra expenditure.

The games being released on the PS4 and Xbox one wont be utilising the capabilities of the consoles. It will take time for the programmers to catch up - just look at the first games released on the PS3, and look at some of the recent examples - GT6, GTA V etc
It's unlikely to be as significant this time round. Bear in mind that for this generation both consoles are based on the well-understood x86 architecture; while familiarity will likely see some small improvements, there's simply not the same level of 'unexplored potential' that (for example) the PS3's Cell architecture represented.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:42 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

yer a good gaming pc can definitely be built for £600, never said it couldn't.

Like I said depends what you want it for. Personally I like taking my pc to the absolute limits for benching etc

Obviously its complete overkill if all your using it for is general everyday use.
Old 20 March 2014, 05:01 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CutMasterT
yer a good gaming pc can definitely be built for £600, never said it couldn't.

Like I said depends what you want it for. Personally I like taking my pc to the absolute limits for benching etc

Obviously its complete overkill if all your using it for is general everyday use.
I know, but I felt it worth making it clear that, much like car modifying, you don't have to spend a fortune and invest lots of time and effort to get something that performs well.

Too many non-PC gamers would look at at system like yours and think that's the only way to get a fast PC, much as many people would look at a Lamborghini and think that's the only way to get a fast car.

When you're coming from a diesel Fiesta (X360/PS3) and moving to a diesel Focus (X1/PS4), anything "proper" like a Scooby/Evo (PC) will be a massive jump in performance and provide a much more rewarding experience, even if it's not as fast as the 'this-is-all-I-spend-my-money-on' nutters who've been doing it for years.
Old 21 March 2014, 11:55 AM
New_scooby_04

Nice to know it's not just me!! Thought I was just getting a grumpy old git there for a minute!

As noted, I think games being a little thin on the ground at release is to be expected, but the the thing I'm finding particularly disconcerting is the lack of genuinely exciting games on the horizon. I mean, in the next 3 months what is there?? It does seem like we're going to have to wait until Q3 or Q4 of this year before we really start to see anything really next gen on the horizon let alone in the shops.

Here's hoping for a bumper E3!!
Old 21 March 2014, 02:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well certainly at the moment (and since their launch dates), I can't say I would be upgrading.

We're on a curve though: the 360 and PS3 are SO good, that when comparing to gaming budgets, there's only so far they can go now.
Hell, as comparison, Sony have only recently stopped producing the PS2!

The nextgens aren't providing enough of a quantum leap to warrant the change.

Maybe next year? Not much at the moment. (all imho, of course)

Dan
Old 21 March 2014, 02:52 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Next-Gen has been a bit of a disappointment. Barely play Forza 5 (sick of racing round the same tracks). Ryse is fun, as is DR3 but neither blew my socks off.
I still have the 360 but this will go once they port or bring out a next gen version of GTA 5.
However, I still use the PC more for the limited gaming time I have.
Old 21 March 2014, 05:33 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Got the Xbox one when it first released,only games I got so far are,Thief,COD Ghosts,Dead Rising,assassins black flag.
And yep the games are expensive still,what makes it more expensive now is,you pay 40/50 quid for a game,then they release DLC,season pass costing 24 quid etc..
So. It's not just like years ago,you bought the game and that was it.not moaning about the DLC,as you can go further in the games,more choice etc.
Old 21 March 2014, 06:21 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The thing that boils my **** is the micro transactions in Forza.
I have in the past purchased additional tracks for the previous versions of Forza but asking another £40 for 10 Ferraris? It's not as if they're subtle at it either as the game often recommends a DLC car as the one to use for the next series.