Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Mer Hybrid wax

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2012, 04:24 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mer Hybrid wax

I know this little corner of the forum doesn't get visited very often, but i thought i'd just post about Mer Hybrid wax, which i've used a couple of times now, in case anyone in future does a search etc.

I'm no stranger to a cleaning product, and i have a selection of waxes including Swissvax Mystery, Zymol Concours amongst others.

I've always been a huge fan of Mer's Ultimate Polish (and still am) for glass and mirrors, so when i noticed they'd brought out a hybrid wax, i was keen to give it a go.

It's thick, very thick. Not the easiest to spread. Of course the cold temperatures don't help.

It dries almost instantly, it's weird. If it was warm i can imagine it being harder to work with. As a cold weather product, it's ideal.

However.

It produces, without doubt, the shiniest finish i've EVER achieved on the Scoob (406 silver). All i did was diligently go over the bodywork with a tar remover, it didn't need claying again, and then apply Mer Hybrid. I was, and am, stunned. Deep deep gloss, a real wetlook finish that i've never truly been able to see before.

I have no affiliation with the product whatsoever, but for the price, i cannot recommend it enough. No idea how durable it is but that's not important to me. For shine at least, i'd put this up against any product i've ever used. Give it a try.
Old 10 December 2012, 04:26 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Good to know.
Old 12 December 2012, 05:46 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mer is better than Zymol or Swissvax ??? That's a new one

Last edited by B0DSKI; 12 December 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12 December 2012, 09:41 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Bodski, if you fancy a quick run down the A12 i'd be happy to show you, especially to someone who's considering it as a profession. You need to see what this stuff can do, really. PM me if you want to arrange something
Old 12 December 2012, 09:44 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I know this little corner of the forum doesn't get visited very often, but i thought i'd just post about Mer Hybrid wax, which i've used a couple of times now, in case anyone in future does a search etc.

I'm no stranger to a cleaning product, and i have a selection of waxes including Swissvax Mystery, Zymol Concours amongst others.

I've always been a huge fan of Mer's Ultimate Polish (and still am) for glass and mirrors, so when i noticed they'd brought out a hybrid wax, i was keen to give it a go.

It's thick, very thick. Not the easiest to spread. Of course the cold temperatures don't help.

It dries almost instantly, it's weird. If it was warm i can imagine it being harder to work with. As a cold weather product, it's ideal.

However.

It produces, without doubt, the shiniest finish i've EVER achieved on the Scoob (406 silver). All i did was diligently go over the bodywork with a tar remover, it didn't need claying again, and then apply Mer Hybrid. I was, and am, stunned. Deep deep gloss, a real wetlook finish that i've never truly been able to see before.

I have no affiliation with the product whatsoever, but for the price, i cannot recommend it enough. No idea how durable it is but that's not important to me. For shine at least, i'd put this up against any product i've ever used. Give it a try.
Have you got any pics mate?
Old 12 December 2012, 10:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I'll see what i can do this weekend, Tony.
Old 13 December 2012, 12:43 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Bodski, if you fancy a quick run down the A12 i'd be happy to show you, especially to someone who's considering it as a profession. You need to see what this stuff can do, really. PM me if you want to arrange something
Thanks mate. Appreciate the offer.

The only MER I remember is that stuff in the blue bottles they used to do.

How long has it been on the car ? Be Interesting to see what the durability is like
Old 13 December 2012, 03:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Only a couple of weeks, so pretty much untested in that respect. I read about Mer Hybrid on other websites and some valeters worship durability like it's a God, i assume so that their clients continue to be happy for longer. Fair enough. Personally the name of the game is shine. My wagon is probably in the top few condition in the country excepting concours cars, we're not just talking a weekend washed workhorse. Here for inspection if/when you want.
Old 13 December 2012, 05:43 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tel
Old 13 December 2012, 11:00 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

I had a bad experience with this stuff in the summer, found it very difficult to use, any tips on applying it? out of interest did you apply it with cloth or pad? So it's been on the shelf since then, I'm sure it says on the bottle it lasts up to six months? I might give the dodo juice a rest and give this a second chance on weekend
Old 14 December 2012, 12:41 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

What about a picture telboy
Old 14 December 2012, 12:59 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Johnny, i do know what you mean about applying it, it's not the easiest because it doesn't include oily waxes like beeswax. Personally i just used a dry microfibre cloth. It does get easier once the cloth becomes saturated with the product, but it doesn't go on evenly i totally agree. But i didn't find that this affected the end result. It's almost as if you're wiping it off if you cover the same area twice, very strange, takes getting used to. I hope they don't change the formulation to make it spread more easily as that will make it take longer to buff off. I prefer the hassle on the application stage rather than the polishing stage!

Regarding price, i'm told Halfords do 500ml for about £14 but you can easily beat that on Ebay, substantially so if you're willing to wait for an auction listing. I paid less than a tenner.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:02 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I'll try and get some pictures sorted, i've never posted any of my car on here before but maybe this is the opportunity to redress that.
Old 15 December 2012, 08:35 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

At that price Finish Kare 1000P is better value