Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Good wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2010, 01:16 PM
DanTerzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good wheel cleaner

Whats do you guys use on your wheels? I recently had my wheels refurbished and gave them a good coat of polish before they went back on the car, the fronts of the wheel are easy to clean, but its difficult to get into the inner rims to clean them and they are getting grubby. What do you recommend i use on the inner rims.

Reading back over what ive wrote i realise im being a bit lazy but there must be something i can use that makes it easier.

Thanks
Dan
Old 23 September 2010, 08:10 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Probably better off treating them with something like Poor Boys wheel sealant first, You can build the layers up to give maximum protection then you can use a good quality wheel cleaner something mild so it doesn't strip the sealant. I use Dodo juice Mellow Yellow which is very good
Old 23 September 2010, 08:27 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I have both Bilberry and Very Cherry, diluted 1:10 for weekly wash and 1:5 if the wheels are really dirty. Just avoid the likes of Wonder Wheels which is basically diluted concrete acid.
Old 23 September 2010, 09:09 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Shell's off the shelf wheel cleaner is very effective.

And Autoglym/MEguairs or whatever all make some good stuff.

I use soft wax on my rims, like AutoGlym Aqua Wax or Turtle Ice. In combination with Mintex C-Tech pads, this makes the rims easy to clean...just water and a brush. Re-apply wax every 3-4 cleans.
Old 24 September 2010, 11:33 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you polished them what exact product did you use? A polish has no protective poperties whatsoever.

My advice would be to give them a good clean down before they get grubby. Then as mentioned about a get few coats of poorboys wheel sealant or similar. Then when you wash you car you'll only need to use the same ph neutral shampoo that you use on the rest of your car. Every other wash top up the wheel sealant. This whay you won't have a need for harsh chemical cleaners.

hth,
Matt.
Old 24 September 2010, 01:07 PM
DanTerzo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I used meguiars tech wax, it wasnt to protect them, it was just to give them a coating and stop them getting dirty so easy. With all the bad weather we have been having it doesnt take long for them to get grubby again. I have the original P1 10 spoke OZ wheels on the car so its difficult to get in behind the spokes to give them a good clean. I wondered what you use to get in there and agitate the dirt, rather than taking the wheels off everytime i want them done properly.

I will buy some Poor boys wheel sealant, take the wheels off and give them a good coating. Then use whatever you think is best to make it easier.

Thanks
Dan
Old 24 September 2010, 01:36 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanTerzo
Thanks for the replies guys. I used meguiars tech wax, it wasnt to protect them, it was just to give them a coating and stop them getting dirty so easy. With all the bad weather we have been having it doesnt take long for them to get grubby again. I have the original P1 10 spoke OZ wheels on the car so its difficult to get in behind the spokes to give them a good clean. I wondered what you use to get in there and agitate the dirt, rather than taking the wheels off everytime i want them done properly.

I will buy some Poor boys wheel sealant, take the wheels off and give them a good coating. Then use whatever you think is best to make it easier.

Thanks
Dan
Get yourself a wheelback brush from Polished bliss. Only a couple of quid. To make the postage costs worthwhile, get the wheel sealant from them at the same time.

As mentioned above, once they're all sealed just use your normal car shampoo to clean them. What shampoo do you use?
Old 24 September 2010, 02:55 PM
DanTerzo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I will do that. At the moment ive been using Halfords own brand of car wash stuff, any recommendations?
Old 24 September 2010, 03:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chemical Guys Jet Seal is great on wheels. I terms of cleaning baby wipes and a hand shampoo foam gun/bottle are good. Brake dust is annihilated by Aquartz Iron Cut and Megs Degreaser is awesome too in the right dilution