Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Blackfire layering advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 08:40 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackfire layering advice needed

Hi, I've got Blackfire Wet Diamond all finish paint protection and Midnight Sun wax from PB and I want to layer both for as deep and wet a shine as possible.

Trouble is, the advice for both is to leave 8 hours between coats for curing/bonding. Do I really need to leave it that long? The reason I ask is I have no indoor area to work in and will be using the vehicle between coats, which leads to my second question:

If I need to leave at least 8 hours between coats, I'm gonna need to clean between coats too. What's the best (least invasive) way to clean light dust and grime without stripping what I've applied?

Thanks.
Old 13 August 2010, 11:56 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are best to leave time between the coats yes. All you need to do to solve this is to do it at a time when the car isn't going to get covered in dirt and grime. If just light dust foam the car, rinse off and dry. It should be sufficient to remove the particles. Especially if you set a time to do this when the car will be cleaned and then just left over night.
Old 13 August 2010, 02:57 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, I suspected that would be the approach. I've got a foam lance, etc, so that's fairly easy to do. So far I've got it cleaned, clayed, polished and one coat of Diamond paint protector, so I'll just build the coats up as I can from now.

The Blackfire book I have mentions that multiple coats of wax add depth, and mentions up to a dozen?!! (on a show car), how many d'you think is sensible? I'm thinking a couple of the DPP and two or three of the wax? (Car is Black Mica).
Old 13 August 2010, 03:22 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Does the Blackfire not have a quick detailer in its range (LSP). If so I would have thought a quick squirt around with this and a light buff would do the trick.
Old 13 August 2010, 03:30 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Does the Blackfire not have a quick detailer in its range (LSP). If so I would have thought a quick squirt around with this and a light buff would do the trick.
What you are refering to is spit shining. The usually only works with paste waxes. Plain cold water is best for this sprayed through a spritz bottle in a fine mist. Some quick detailers can remove a little of the product you'd be trying to set on there.

Btw - LSP is Last Stage Product. This isn't the same as quick detailer. LSP can be any protective product.

HTH

Matt.
Old 13 August 2010, 03:30 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Good point, thanks. I've got some Meguiars Quick Detailer and some Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray, if it's really lightly dusty, either of these might do the job.......

edit: I've not actually ever used either of these yet, and now I've read the subsequent post, I'm still confused. I'll prob foam and rinse (foamer is Megs from PB, can't remember what exactly, in a gallon bottle). Although that means more effort drying, it's no biggie.

Thanks for the interest so far chaps.

Last edited by CAT2; 13 August 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 13 August 2010, 03:31 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CAT2
Cheers for that, I suspected that would be the approach. I've got a foam lance, etc, so that's fairly easy to do. So far I've got it cleaned, clayed, polished and one coat of Diamond paint protector, so I'll just build the coats up as I can from now.

The Blackfire book I have mentions that multiple coats of wax add depth, and mentions up to a dozen?!! (on a show car), how many d'you think is sensible? I'm thinking a couple of the DPP and two or three of the wax? (Car is Black Mica).

Get as many on there as you like. Generally though 4 coats of wax will do it. I'd go for 2 or 3 coats of each product if you have the time and patience. Just make sure you get them in the right order
Old 13 August 2010, 05:29 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Just a note... I'm pretty sure you should not layer the Wet Diamond over the Midnight Sun. Putting an acrylic over a wax prevents it from evaporating and can cause a misting effect.

I imagine you purchased them from Polished Bliss so drop them a quick email to double check.

It is a fantastic product by the way. After polishing with Menzerna, I used the Blackfire GEP, then a couple of layers of the Wet Diamond before a single coat of the Midnight Sun. Now, I just apply another layer of the midnight sun after every wash. Probably up to about 5-6 layers by now - remember it does evaporate off over time as well!
Old 13 August 2010, 09:29 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

yep you can not layer wet diamond over M Sun, every few weeks after a wash just add another layer of midnight sun
Old 15 August 2010, 10:58 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Copy of an online chat I had with Blackfire USA about same thing........

you: Hello, if I use Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax can I use other Blackfire products on top of this?
Jon: Such as the All Finish Paint Protection or just the Deep Gloss Spray?
you: Either as I have both at present as well as Gloss Enhancing polish
Jon: Well the Gloss Enhancing Polish will strip everything off. You might have some difficulties if you put the All Finish Paint Protection over the Carnauba Wax. You'll have to try it to find out as we have conflicting reports. There is no problem using the Deep Gloss Spray though, we recommend using it to maintain the finish.

I've also got a couple of Blackfire instruction guide pdf's if anyone wants a copy, drop me a PM with your email address.

Last edited by AndyMoody; 15 August 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 16 August 2010, 10:27 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

I think you sent me that guide a while back...

The GEP is a glaze so should be the last thing to apply before the Wet Diamond. Then the MS wax goes on top of that. I have tried using the Deep Gloss Spray to help lubricate the wax applicator. It is okay, but I much prefer using just the wax.

Just to note, Blackfire also suggest buffing off immediately. I find it works better if you leave it longer before buffing.

Mine is usually tucked up in the garage so doesn't see the rain much but had a downpour whilst at a friends. The Blackfire produces a little bit of beading....

Old 16 August 2010, 04:38 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

looks good, always think about spending a little more and going for a posh wax but everytime i use the blackfire range i think it would be a waste.