Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Best way to wash a lambswool mitt?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 03:32 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to wash a lambswool mitt?

Have heard conflicting advice.

Have washed in machine on both cotton wash (knackered the mitt up very quickly-obviously!) and a delicates wash (still knackered it up - but not as quickly!).

Is it still advised to wash it in the machine or would a good rinse with cool water be ok after use?

I've always used Fairy non-bio on a gentle spin without fabric conditioner.

Cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 03:57 PM
CAT2 temp
Scooby Newbie

I've had a lambswool mitt from PB that I've used for ages (well over a year, lots of washes)- I normally just rinse it after use, but this weekend it got dirty, so I had to wash it (never washed before). I used a normal (half-load) setting in the machine and bio detergent. It came out spotless and completely intact. Everything I've had from PB seeems top quality - perhaps it's cheaper mitts that come apart?
Old 18 July 2010, 03:59 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CAT2 temp
I've had a lambswool mitt from PB that I've used for ages (well over a year, lots of washes)- I normally just rinse it after use, but this weekend it got dirty, so I had to wash it (never washed before). I used a normal (half-load) setting in the machine and bio detergent. It came out spotless and completely intact. Everything I've had from PB seeems top quality - perhaps it's cheaper mitts that come apart?
Well 2 of them were from PB so it isn't that!

They don't come apart as such,just the wool seems to matt up,unlike when it's new when it's nice and soft.
Old 18 July 2010, 04:09 PM
CAT2 temp
Scooby Newbie

Fair enough. Mine seems immaculate, but it has only been through the machine once.
Old 18 July 2010, 06:02 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

colod water seems to be the best way, i have killed two of PBs mits by washing them. (maybe the new range are improved) ?
Old 18 July 2010, 06:55 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

At 30 with a liquid and you will be fine that is what is said to be the way to do
Old 18 July 2010, 09:30 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by johnson12
At 30 with a liquid and you will be fine that is what is said to be the way to do
agree mine have always been fine even cheap ebay lambs wool ones
Old 18 July 2010, 10:05 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

I normally go for 30 with some white wine vinegar and nothing else. Bring them out nice and clean.
Old 19 July 2010, 11:11 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep it, do not put it through the machine!

Warm running water under the tap. Use a little detergent or washing up liquid. Don't flood it though. Then leave to dry naturally.

Same goes for polishing pads.
Old 19 July 2010, 08:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

If its fibres are matting up after rinsing it thoroughly, try shaking it vigourously ( Like adog after a bath!!!) then rub your hand vigourously from cuff to tip repeatedly.This will bring back the as new pile.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:40 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Are you following our instructions to the letter, i.e...

Care instructions: (i) wash after each use in a washing machine at a low temperature (40 °C) using a non-biological liquid detergent (avoid soap powders and detergents containing bleach or fabric softeners); (ii) hang up and allow to dry naturally (avoid all sources of heat), and; (iii) store in a dry, dust-free environment whilst not in use (lidded plastic storage boxes are ideal in this respect).

We wash our mitts (about a dozen or so) like this every couple of days and have no issues, with most lasting around 3-6 months before needing to be replaced. Just wondering if your detergent choice is the problem?

Old 22 July 2010, 04:23 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Are you following our instructions to the letter, i.e...

Care instructions: (i) wash after each use in a washing machine at a low temperature (40 °C) using a non-biological liquid detergent (avoid soap powders and detergents containing bleach or fabric softeners); (ii) hang up and allow to dry naturally (avoid all sources of heat), and; (iii) store in a dry, dust-free environment whilst not in use (lidded plastic storage boxes are ideal in this respect).

We wash our mitts (about a dozen or so) like this every couple of days and have no issues, with most lasting around 3-6 months before needing to be replaced. Just wondering if your detergent choice is the problem?

Hi Rich,

Yes mate - wash every mitt,microfibre,drying cloth etc the same way as you describe.

Opened a new one today and after use I hand washed it with a wool liquid detergent in cool water - looks spot on. Will be able to tell better when dry but compared to another one I have (that has been used around 5 times and washed in the machine) it looks and feels alot better.