Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Machine Polishing my STi - What/Why/Who etc

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2010, 02:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine Polishing my STi - What/Why/Who etc

I've a obsidan black (gold fleck) 04 STi and it has a few light scratches and swirl marks. I'm selling the car shortly and wanted to get this done for a photoshoot prior to sale as a souvenir.

Now, i was going to pay someone for a detail, but i have most things, except the machine polisher. So it got me thinking, should i just buy the kit myself and keep it for future, or hand the car over to someone?!?!?

So.....should i just pay someone to do it? (£300 from looking)

Or.....tackle it myself?? (£200)

Myself:

How easy is it? (I'll read as many threads/vids i can on here and DW prior to starting). Knowledge is power.

Is there a chance of me screwing it up, or not getting the desired results?

Should i get the DAS6 or pay more for the G220??

Pay someone:

Based in south lanarkshire. Who would be recommended?? A friend of friend said he would MP for £100, but i have my doubts, small lockup, not sure my full trust is there.

Thanks for any help/advice/links.
Old 12 February 2010, 04:36 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

If you get it wrong you screw the paint - I'd start with an old car you don't care about wouldn't risk it on one that mattered.
Old 12 February 2010, 05:54 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I've used a machine polisher on older cars and made mistakes, but I wouldn't use one on a car like yours Gaz without full training and more importantly the correct polisher.
Do it by hand or let the pro's do it.
Old 12 February 2010, 06:56 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I'm going to buy a machine polisher in the summer and have a go my self. The way i see it if you have never tried it ( I haven't ) then probably better going for a dual action rather than the rotary ones and just take your time and go easy it can't be that hard .
Old 12 February 2010, 09:24 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

I've the same colour car, same year, same area - small world !!

Doing it yourself - it isn't really something that you pick up the machine and make a great job on first time of doing, there's plenty of pitfalls, techniques are gained over time, knowledge on what pads/polishes takes practice. Very likely take you many hours as well.
Expensive equipment (machine/pads/polish/clothes/etc) so unless you plan on using again and again quite an outlay. Also sticky Subaru paint can be problematic at times !!
However, it is a fantastic feeling when you stand back to view your finished work !!

Your friend of a friend - £100 seems very cheap. If you were to do all the prep and protecting work and them litterly just the machining piece then perhaps. As long as you're comfortable that they've done good work elsewhere and not using yours as practice. Or is it the lock-up security that worries you?

Paying a pro - It'll be costly which think you already know. Idea is obviously though that they use their experience and skill to transform your car. Reckon I could get/pass on a few names for you if wanted, no idea of price though as you'd need to discuss what you want done with them.

You sure though that you want to fork out the money for someone else to get the visual benefit of it when you sell it ?? Giving it the clean and protection of its life may be good enough??

Good luck come selling time, think I've looked at your pics before and it's a very nice example.
Old 15 February 2010, 12:13 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

DIY approach - all of the pros and cons are discussed in the guides about polishing on our site. It is quite possible for the majority of people to do a good job of polishing their own cars using a dual action polisher, and the level of risk involved is quite low. That said, as mentioned above, getting the best out of the machine takes time to learn, which you don't have.

Pro approach - there aren't many top drawer detailers in your neck of the woods, so you may need to travel if a top quality job is desired. Some top level pros are now offering studio photography and videos as part of their premium detailing packages, so this may fit your requirements quite well in terms of souvenirs. The downside will be the cost; even a minor correction detail can cost a lot more than you suggest if done to the highest possible standards.