Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Minimum effort scratch repair?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 11:12 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimum effort scratch repair?

I admit this isn't a part of scoobynet I go to often, believing that my car is far happier dirty than clean, but I do need a little advice.

I've got a dent and gouge on my roof that looks like it was made by a large stone hitting it at speed (probably thrown up from the tyre of a ar in front on the track) and I want to repair the paint to the just good enough level that it won't rust or get any worse.

If I can get the paint the same colour then all the better but all I want to do is stop it rusting.

Can i get away with just painting over it? Yes I know it'll look rubbish, but it's primarily a weekend driver / track car so gets plenty wrecked when I run out of grip (or more likely, talent) and put it in a gravel trap.

Do I really have to prime it? Do I really have to sand it down using different types of sand paper? Do I really have to lacquer it?

If I am going to bother painting it, where do you guys get your paint from? I checked the local Halfords but they don't have a match by code (22G, Bright Red for a 2003 WRX if you're interested).

Any help on the least possible work to stop it getting worse appreciated!
Old 01 November 2009, 04:25 PM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

cover it with a sticker lol
Old 02 November 2009, 12:56 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Any main Subaru dealer will be able to sell you a chip kit, normally under £10 and a perfect colour match to your car.....

You DONT have to sand/wet&dry the repair....its just it looks better...

However if its a track car....I would clean the area THOROUGHLY, then apply with a very fine artists brush, a small amount at a time to build up layers until its level with the original surface....leave for 24/36 hours to dry properly then polish the whole area to try and refine the edges.....you could wet and dry the area prior to polishing, but this can cause its own problems , and if you are not as you say into a perfect finish, the touch up should suffice and prevent rust etc
Old 02 November 2009, 10:05 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Thanks Brocks