Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Menzerna pad coming away from velcro backing

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2009, 01:15 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Menzerna pad coming away from velcro backing

Hi All

I've been meaning to get into cleaning my cars properly for a while now and I'm having a go with my random orbit polisher (Silverline). Upon first use of the polisher and an orange Menzerna pad, after about 20 minutes the bulk of the pad sheared away from its velcro backing, rendering it useless.

That put me off a bit but today I had another go with new pads. My white Menzerna pad was fine but a new orange one is also showing signs that the velcro is coming away from the pad around the edges after around 15 minutes of use.

Am I doing something wrong? Surely the pads are supposed to last a fair while or else they start looking very expensive!

Cheers.
Old 30 August 2009, 08:36 AM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Machine fault more than pad?
Old 30 August 2009, 08:53 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Menzerna pads are susceptible to damage if your method isn't spot on, as they are made using non-reticulated foams which are brittle and a lot less forgiving than softer reticulated foams. However, in this case the coming away of the velcro suggests a manufacturing fault. Give me a call tomorrow on 0845 4540017 (assuming you bought from us!) and talk me through your method; if nothing obvious is wrong with it I'll arrange with you to take back the pads for inspection (with a view to replacing them if I find them to be faulty).
Old 31 August 2009, 08:55 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your response PB. Sorry I didn't get chance to call today, busy at the Manx Grand Prix. The new one is from you, previous one another supplier (was buying it with a 'Super Spray') about 6 months ago so unlikely to be the same batch. Both seem to be suffering from the same issue though so perhaps it is my technique.

What could be wrong with my method? My Silverline polisher has hook velcro on its rigid backing plate, I stick the pad to that (concentrically), spread (Menzerna) polish at speed 1, work the polish at speed 3-4, doing slowish passes along the area of panel I'm working on and applying a little pressure.

Any ideas? Or I can call during lunch tmrw if preferred. Cheers.
Old 31 August 2009, 10:01 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, lets talk it through - I also need to know about your machine spec, as machine speeds will play a part in terms of pad stress (I'm not at all familiar with Silverline units).